Leeds - First Direct Arena (Mar. 20, 2015) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

The Queen Is Dead / Suedehead / Staircase At The University / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / Kiss Me A Lot / Istanbul / Neal Cassady Drops Dead / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Irish Blood, English Heart / What She Said / Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before / Scandinavia / The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores / One Of Our Own / Trouble Loves Me / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Kick The Bride Down The Aisle / The Bullfighter Dies / Meat is Murder // First Of The Gang To Die

setlist (not in exact order) provided by Irregular Regular.

• Photo by fralph1976 / Instagram. Link posted by docinwestchester. Full set by Frank Ralph (27 photos) - Flickr. Link posted by an anonymous person.

leeds.jpg
  • TTY: Morrissey audience in Leeds, March 20th - Mar. 23, 2015
  • Review by Gary Ryan - NME
  • Review by Ryan Bell (9 / 10 stars) - Fortitude Magazine

Last edited:
Great to see the man again last night.

Would have have been better to see more of him but my view was ruined by about 50 people holding up mobile phones taking shitty photos and video clips... Are any of these pics ever in focus or good quality - no! Do any of these 15 second clips look good - no! Please, can we have a new rule that says after the first song you will put the camera in your pocket and just enjoy the bloody gig.

Dave

First since Manchester Arena for me. Enjoyed the gig once the poor sound settled down a few songs in. Great set the new album really is quality.

Only downside is people talking through the songs. Had to tell lads behind me to STFU at one point. £55 tickets and all they want to do is talk through it so annoying.

On the train to Glasgow roll on tonights show !

Thanks for the footage of the black curtains in the clip (is it really such a small arena ? )

I guess you're all gonna be busy defacing Leeds/Bradford today, off you go Simple Steven says so, just make sure you do it in broad daylight there's no need to be shy about it.

Benny-the-British-Butcher ������

Benny , I take it you have never been to Leeds arena. The black curtains in this footage are covering the retractable seats that they remove to make more standing room.
The capacity is 13500. I saw James there last year and it was exactly the same layout as it was for last nights gig.

Last edited:
Fantastic night. Moz on sounded/looked on top form. Absolute joy to hear some of Smiths stuff too. Yeah, he does keep banging on about murdering animals but so what, it's Moz and we love him for it. Enjoy. We certainly did.

Great to see the man again last night.

Would have have been better to see more of him but my view was ruined by about 50 people holding up mobile phones taking shitty photos and video clips... Are any of these pics ever in focus or good quality - no! Do any of these 15 second clips look good - no! Please, can we have a new rule that says after the first song you will put the camera in your pocket and just enjoy the bloody gig.

Dave

haha, agreed! Said the exact same thing to my wife. I can sort of understand it if you're in the first few rows, but stood near the back? - totally pointless, how do they not know this?

Whats with the black curtains? What kind of arena is it? :squiffy: "Release the Minotaur!"

Whats with the black curtains? What kind of arena is it? :squiffy: "Release the Minotaur!"

It's a purpose built arena CG and can be configured in a number of ways. For acts like Morrissey they maximise the standing opportunity, for more sedate acts they utilise the additional seating that sits behind the black covers you see in the footage, however when those are utilised the capacity reduces.

Another tremendous evening. Moz seemed in better spirits and better voice than last week in Nottingham. If I were to have one minor complaint, MIM directly before the encore is not a good idea; the crowd struggled with it (as ever). It needs to be in the middle of the set.

Excellent gig for me. I was sceptical of the new album material after its extended run out at the O2, but sounded great tonight and was part of a better set list.

Crashing Bores, What She Said and Irish Blood were the standouts for me. In saying that, there wasn't really any low, dragging points. Morrissey sounded superb, his voice has definitely improved over the years.

The only negative would be that the guitar playing on Stop Me was absolutely atrocious. I'm pretty sure at one point it was completely ballsed up. I saw Johnny Marr the night before in Stoke and he absolutely nailed the musical side of Stop Me. He'd be appalled to hear the butchering of it last night!

Great gig, great arena considering how big and soul less most of them are. Missed the encore as my Mum was convinced she was going to fate at the end of Meat is Murder- just goes to show the abrasive performance of it works!

It was ok. Nothing more, nothing less. I have been to around 15 Morrissey concerts and this probably ranked in the bottom 5.

I found it to be a bit flat and whilst I like the new album when driving in the car, some of the songs don't work very well live.

meat is murder just before the encore wasn't a great idea either. The encore was very flat after that.

I think Morrissey is going through the motions a bit now with money making taking priority.

The pre gig footage has hardly changed in 5 years and is just lazy for me.

Coming on at 8.30 caught a few out too.

Went to the show last night, my second ever concert, was very happy until the video backdrop of the animals being abused, I must admit that even though we all know this sort of stuff goes on sadly we shouldn't be forced to watch what we all know happens. This ruined the night for me I had to leave early due to feeling physically sick. what does it do?, is it going to stop people eating meat due to seeing the cruelty ? I don't think so, I don't eat meat myself but that's a lifestyle choice I chose to make, don't force your fans to watch this I don't think it's needed.

Excellent gig for me. I was sceptical of the new album material after its extended run out at the O2, but sounded great tonight and was part of a better set list.

Crashing Bores, What She Said and Irish Blood were the standouts for me. In saying that, there wasn't really any low, dragging points. Morrissey sounded superb, his voice has definitely improved over the years.

The only negative would be that the guitar playing on Stop Me was absolutely atrocious. I'm pretty sure at one point it was completely ballsed up. I saw Johnny Marr the night before in Stoke and he absolutely nailed the musical side of Stop Me. He'd be appalled to hear the butchering of it last night!

Great gig, great arena considering how big and soul less most of them are. Missed the encore as my Mum was convinced she was going to fate at the end of Meat is Murder- just goes to show the abrasive performance of it works!

Jesse seemed distracted

Brilliant gig. First time in a while since I have been down at the front but it was worth the pain of a couple of bruised ribs today. He looked well, sounded great. Loved the set list - the WPINOYB album has grown on me and I thought he played the best tracks - loved What She Said turning into Rubber Ring. http://t.co/pdTIwqq6md

Our seats were quite a bit away (2nd tier) (Tried to get tickets closer to stage, but sold out..), so would really have liked some close-up-projection to be able to see his facial expressions better.. Have seen that at other Leeds Arena Gigs, sometimes using white drapes at the sides..
Sound was terrible at the start where we sat. Heard staff talking about it as well.. Got sorted out 1/3 through or so, and was really good at the end.
First time ever I have been to Leeds Arena where sound has not been good all the way through.
Apart from that a really great night. Set-list brilliant (and happy with the surprises). Great (and age-mixed) crowd.
Morrissey on super-form!

Great gig, not been to see him for 4 years so it was nice to see him looking really well and singing brilliantly. He seemed in great spirits and interacted well with the crowd, he mentioned he'd been driving around Harrogate and saw youngesters with dead cats in their hair or something, made me laugh anyway.

Also managed to grab his shirt but the stand off was immense, I let it go after a few seconds, I'm sure I could smell his aftershave on my hands though. So not all bad.

Trouble Loves Me, Stop Me and Crashing Bores were highlights.

He's still the Mozfather. I'll always love him

Glad to read you enjoyed seeing "the old poofter", as you so colourfully described Morrissey before show-time.

Wow, ninety minutes after the show ended and still nothing from Bummie or Benny? Is this a record? I guess they must both be on their way home from Leeds where they will no doubt tell us that the venue was half-empty, that Morrissey was loudly booed from the start, that his career his over, that the audience was walking out from the second song onwards, that "everyone" thinks he's "a rather amusing prat" - and of course the comments and photos above demonstrate how absolutely, comprehensively correct they are (as always).

TrollFAIL! Thanks to Mozza220559 & the few others who actually attended for providing reports about 'cat's hair' banter and such. And thanks to those who collate feeds on Twitter and Instagram for those here who are unable to browse those platforms themselves! I suppose it fills the thread and gives the illusion of massive interest in the gig.

As this was the closest show to Manchester, and was on a Friday night, I'd have assumed it would sell out, though it didn't. However, looking at pictures of the venue, it wouldn't surprise me if people decided to pass. It looks hideous, more seats than standing and officious security in the seats it would seem. I expect Saturday night in Glasgow will be the main event of the tour, though Brum on a Friday could also rise above the 'flat' ambience that many report. Finally, where would we be this afternoon without CG's *explanation* of events? *rollseyes*. Please stop spamming live threads with your nonsense. Unless you've seen a sign that chicken was served disguised as Quorn? Is that what you're trying to communicate? If so, where's the evidence?

best
BB

It got a little broken up when God hit print, the leg got separated, the wattle wound up on the head, the comb wound up on the lady's chin instead of the rooster's head, but all the parts are there. :D Channel your inner Picasso to see it without my outline. I do see the dachshund though! :cool:

16879345725_b2f702b723_b.jpg

parts_of_a_chicken-2x2.jpg

Interesting review. Others remark that 5 WPINOYB songs at the outset is a bit much! Morrissey has had lots of singing lessons, he might think about paying Johnny Marr to give guitar lessons to his backing band if Morrissey wants to Carr On Karaoke covering Smiths songs. The horror of "This Charming Man" has not been forgotten or forgiven.

Why is the arena good? It looks monstrous, endless tiers of seating with a small floor space is hardly conducive to a Friday night piss up and karaoke singalongaMoz. I feel for you Mom. She exhibited good taste in walking away from the gore-fest.

best
BB

Interesting review. Others remark that 5 WPINOYB songs at the outset is a bit much! Morrissey has had lots of singing lessons, he might think about paying Johnny Marr to give guitar lessons to his backing band if Morrissey wants to Carr On Karaoke covering Smiths songs. The horror of "This Charming Man" has not been forgotten or forgiven.

Why is the arena good? It looks monstrous, endless tiers of seating with a small floor space is hardly conducive to a Friday night piss up and karaoke singalongaMoz. I feel for you Mom. She exhibited good taste in walking away from the gore-fest.

best
BB

Personally I thinks its one of the best in the UK Brummie, apparently when it was designed they wanted to create intimacy whilst being able to house large numbers. They did this by ensuring the furthest distance from the stage was 68m rather than 95 to a 100m in the more traditional arena's. It can also be configured in a myriad of ways. If you look at the picture in the link, you can see the venue with the bottom seating area available, for Morrissey, James etc, they retract those to make a large standing area. If I were to guess in the Morrissey/James gigs it was about 75% standing and 25% seated

I saw James at both the NIA and Leeds last year and the atmosphere generated was far better in Leeds, unfortunately standing sold really quick for Morrissey so its the NIA for me.

http://www.firstdirectarena.com/venue-information/seating-plans/

Our seats were quite a bit away (2nd tier) (Tried to get tickets closer to stage, but sold out..), so would really have liked some close-up-projection to be able to see his facial expressions better.. Have seen that at other Leeds Arena Gigs, sometimes using white drapes at the sides..
Sound was terrible at the start where we sat. Heard staff talking about it as well..
Got sorted out 1/3 through or so, and was really good at the end.
First time ever I have been to Leeds Arena where sound has not been good all the way through.
Apart from that a really great night. Set-list brilliant (and happy with the surprises). Great (and age-mixed) crowd.
Morrissey on super-form!

This supports my contention that Morrissey lacks artistic skill/motivation and is thus incapable of staging an arena show. Or is too tight-fisted to pay for the additional production costs for those in the recesses of an enormodome venue. The proposition that it's somehow an 'event' to squint at him in the distance for £50-70 has been tested and found wanting by many others. If he bothered to have a professional upscaling of his YouTube sourced visuals and 'close-up projection to be able to see his facial expressions' and paid proper attention to sound checks and acoustics then there's no reason why his performance couldn't translate to an arena space. Nothing's changed on this front since I saw him scowl at empty seats at the Birmingham NIA nearly a decade ago. He's lazy. And tight-fisted. Who knew? And still thinks that just hearing him singalongaSmithssongs is enough to get the punters in the door. The evidence from ticket resellers suggests otherwise.

Morrissey_First_Direct_Arena_Leeds_Tickets_Fri_20_Mar_2015_-_viagogo_-_2015-03-20_18.31.18.png

It was ok. Nothing more, nothing less. I have been to around 15 Morrissey concerts and this probably ranked in the bottom 5.

I found it to be a bit flat and whilst I like the new album when driving in the car, some of the songs don't work very well live.

meat is murder just before the encore wasn't a great idea either. The encore was very flat after that.

I think Morrissey is going through the motions a bit now with money making taking priority.

The pre gig footage has hardly changed in 5 years and is just lazy for me.

Coming on at 8.30 caught a few out too.

Expect brickbats now that I have highlighted your review which seems to be entirely plausible. He came on early at the Manchester Arena in 2012 as well. If he played for 75 minutes, that means it's all over at 9.45? Great Friday night out! Saves on paying for the night bus. Yes, the pre gig footage is a lazy, tired mish-mash and beyond amateurish. Just like the band often is.

best
BB

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom