List of Items Morrissey Dissaproves of?

majic_johnson

Hello there, and please forgive my ignorance to the knowledge of what re-issues and compliations that Morrissey has displayed dissaproval?
Thankyou for any info given.
Regards...

Not all the items are re-issues, but as far as I know:

Reissues of his books James Dean Is Not Dead, Exit Smiling and New York Dolls
Unreleased Smiths demos (2001) http://releases.morrissey-solo.com/article.pl?sid=01/05/20/110220
Barry Derbyshire's documentary 'South with Morrissey'
2007 Hollywood Bowl live DVD
The South Banks Show - 20 years on (2007)

Also some of you are interested in reading this

Last edited:
Also the recently mentioned EMI reissue of the singles up to '95 on 7 inch vinyl :thumb:

Last edited:
Very simple this one anything he's not earning from. So if it,s being issued by a company he's not dealt with for a while, and he's sold his rights to that work years ago. Or anything with the word Smiths printed anywhere on it. Our boy likes his lolly.

It seems like, with the ebb and flow of life, there's a consistent pattern displayed to me of "Reasons Why Not To Like Morrissey." He's ambivalent. He lies. He's a drama queen. He's unreliable. This time it's He's a money grubber. Whatever is doing this give it a rest already! I find that some cosmic thing gets his hackles up and he responds, but the way we pick him apart we exaserbate the situation times twenty and make him out to be something I don't think he is, and his only avenue to defend himself is through a crappy website whose acronym is same used for deaf people who watch televison, so it seems like in the PR field, the ball is never in Morrissey court which is why I HATE relying on fan gossip to get the story correct. Does this make sense?

Having said that and knowing he most likely disapproves 4realz, I'm going to eat a no meat egg Mcmuffin because they taste good and it's how I feed my soul since I'm a lonely struggling crazy person.

It seems like, with the ebb and flow of life, there's a consistent pattern displayed to me of "Reasons Why Not To Like Morrissey." He's ambivalent. He lies. He's a drama queen. He's unreliable. This time it's He's a money grubber. Whatever is doing this give it a rest already! I find that some cosmic thing gets his hackles up and he responds, but the way we pick him apart we exaserbate the situation times twenty and make him out to be something I don't think he is, and his only avenue to defend himself is through a crappy website whose acronym is same used for deaf people who watch televison, so it seems like in the PR field, the ball is never in Morrissey court which is why I HATE relying on fan gossip to get the story correct. Does this make sense?

I don't think this is specific to Morrissey. I think with the prevalence of celebrity culture a mean mindedness has crept in. A lot of people need to think the worst of famous people, they need to think their motives are always venal and selfish. Perhaps it makes them feel better about themselves. It tends to be led by journalists who when covering the arts think their sole purpose is to reveal the artists to be dishonest or fake or idiots. This is worse in the music journalism field where the writers seem to actively dislike the people they are writing about.

I don't think this is specific to Morrissey. I think with the prevalence of celebrity culture a mean mindedness has crept in. A lot of people need to think the worst of famous people, they need to think their motives are always venal and selfish. Perhaps it makes them feel better about themselves. It tends to be led by journalists who when covering the arts think their sole purpose is to reveal the artists to be dishonest or fake or idiots. This is worse in the music journalism field where the writers seem to actively dislike the people they are writing about.

This is true. The other day I was watching TMZ (shoot me, it was boring times at Casa Geezer all week) and although I know it's his job to play up to the camera, I found it interesting watching Harvey Levin milk the whole Paula Abdul/American Idol split. Then when one of his scoop guys suggested it's all a publicity stunt, it was like this little balloon of excitedness was burst in him because it's no fun feeding off the TRUTH. THen he started making calls confirming most likely publicity stunt. :rolleyes:

I really want that Hollywood Bowl live DVD. I think the fact he was anti it made me want it more. Or at least remember that it existed.

I think it is important to note that Morrissey has good reason to be opposed to this Smiths release coming out. First of all if you read the original post regarding the release, it is worded in such a way that gives one the impression that Morrissey has been involved with it, stating sleeves lovingly chosen by Morrissey himself, etc. Secondly, Mike Joyce is definitely someone who will be getting royalties from this release. Morrissey will not. I don't think that bothers him as much as Mike Joyce receiving them. I would want my fans to boycott it, too. THINK ABOUT IT. Money-grubbing I believe is beneath him at this stage in life. Remember he lived quite comfortably on the dole. OK so it was in a bedroom in his Mom's house. Details, details. . .

Not all the items are re-issues, but as far as I know:

Reissues of his books James Dean Is Not Dead, Exit Smiling and New York Dolls
Unreleased Smiths demos (2001) http://releases.morrissey-solo.com/article.pl?sid=01/05/20/110220
Barry Derbyshire's documentary 'South with Morrissey'
2007 Hollywood Bowl live DVD
The South Banks Show - 20 years on (2007)

Also some of you are interested in reading this

Didn't he object to the re-release on DVD of 'The Malady Lingers' and 'Hulmerist'?

Jukebox Jury

I'd like to have that Hollywood bowel concert in DVD.
But I do believe that it'll never be released.

"South With Morrissey" would be fascinating to see, since he was without a label at the time. There was probably an aspect of candidness derived from the situation. Certainly, it would be nice to be afforded the opportunity to see the footage of Alain, Boz, and Gary that was purportedly filmed.

Cheers,
Jamie

Didn't he object to the re-release on DVD of 'The Malady Lingers' and 'Hulmerist'?

Jukebox Jury
Yes, he did, urged us to desist from purchasing, from the stage of the Royal Festival Hall at one of the Meltdown shows. Bit of a mood killer but nevermind...:rolleyes:

"South With Morrissey" would be fascinating to see, since he was without a label at the time. There was probably an aspect of candidness derived from the situation. Certainly, it would be nice to be afforded the opportunity to see the footage of Alain, Boz, and Gary that was purportedly filmed.

Cheers,
Jamie

I keep looking at the trailer for this that's out there and thinking that it would be a terrific thing to see. Barry Derbyshire made the film with the approval of Moz, but then after completion, Moz withdrew his approval and said Barry had no rights to it. I believe DavidT is one of the very, very, very few people to have ssen it.

Peter

I keep looking at the trailer for this that's out there and thinking that it would be a terrific thing to see. Barry Derbyshire made the film with the approval of Moz, but then after completion, Moz withdrew his approval and said Barry had no rights to it. I believe DavidT is one of the very, very, very few people to have ssen it.

Peter

I've never seen that before it's a shame it looks great, in another thread you state you tried to contact the film maker, did you get any response? i'd love to see this.

Little parts of 'South with...' appear fleetingly in 'The Importance of Being Morrissey' in amongst a flurry of archive footage, which also includes tantalisng clips of the unseen 1991 Tim Broad~directed Californian 'Kill Uncle' tour film. Someone must have provided the C4 documentary makers with this stuff. I seem to recall that the credits thank Barry Derbishire. I assume EMI allowed them access to the Tim Broad footage.
So many gems, so little time, too many lawyers...

Back
Top Bottom