"List of the Lost" review by Kevin Healey - The Revealer

Review: List of the Lost by Morrissey - The Revealer
by Kevin Healey

"[T]here is nevertheless a clear theme that emerges in List of the Lost: namely that the depth of personal tragedy one encounters is a measure of how thoroughly one’s quest for an authentic life has been thwarted—either through self-denial, religiously-inspired prejudice, social convention, or some combination of each. The most likely scenario, apparently, is a death-spiral of tragedy upon tragedy. But the twin trophies of authenticity and integrity glimmer still, if only in the far distance. Morrissey has chased them from the beginning, with track-and-field determination, and his persistence is what has made him a cult icon. His legions follow in his quick steps, hoping to catch one carefully measured word as he passes them on, baton-like, to loyalists and hangers-on."

- From my review of List of the Lost at The Revealer, a publication of NYU's Center for Religion and Media

Last edited by a moderator:
All the other reviews were hatchet jobs commissioned by the shape-changing lizard Illuminati members the British Royal Family, in their continuing quest to besmirch Morrissey's good name and prevent him having a record contract. This one must have slipped through the net?

You mean the first one that told you what you wanted to hear, and all the others were biased beyond belief, right?

Whereas it wasn't what you wanted to hear.
I'm surprised it's receiving any airtime here. And yes, a significant number of the reviews are biased, focused on personal attacks and completely miss the point in their expectation that the sex scenes would be wrapped and delivered in a nice accessible Fifty Shades package. Your views and mine are exactly that..interpretation...stop presenting yours as "fact".

SOSB

Whereas it wasn't what you wanted to hear.
I'm surprised it's receiving any airtime here. And yes, a significant number of the reviews are biased, focused on personal attacks and completely miss the point in their expectation that the sex scenes would be wrapped and delivered in a nice accessible Fifty Shades package. Your views and mine are exactly that..interpretation...stop presenting yours as "fact".

SOSB

I don't care if reviews are good or bad. Stop projecting yourself on me. Are you going to ignore all the metacriticism? The answer is yes.

You mean the first one that told you what you wanted to hear, and all the others were biased beyond belief, right?

It was a review that actually tries to understand what Morrissey was doing artistically and not just saying it's good or bad. Like "List Of The Lost' or not, it's not something that was just written on a whim.
Also, thanks to whoever posted this and introduced me to 'The Revealer' website.

It was a review that actually tries to understand what Morrissey was doing artistically and not just saying it's good or bad. Like "List Of The Lost' or not, it's not something that was just written on a whim.
Also, thanks to whoever posted this and introduced me to 'The Revealer' website.

I see. Will you be writing to all newspapers, magazines, websites and other such demanding of them that they defer from judging on a book's goodness or badness?

This book is so yesterday !
I'm milking my song about Paris is where it's at people, get on board and show Steven some support.

Benny-the-British-Butcher

The Revealer is a great site, and worth exploring at length. I sent my review to a number of other publications: Rolling Stone, Mojo, Pitchfork, Billboard, and The Observer. No reply from any of the above, possibly because they had already published reviews.

it seems logical that the first positive list of the lost review is as unreadable as the book.

I don't care if reviews are good or bad. Stop projecting yourself on me. Are you going to ignore all the metacriticism? The answer is yes.

I wouldn't attempt to project myself on you.

There's no projector in manufacture that would beam anything other than a barely perceptible dot onto your big stubborn noggin.

Thanks :), Nice for a change...and you didn't even have to wield a bicycle chain !

But REALLY, I prefer the reviews where they're bashing M over the head because those 'reviews' support my own insightful criticisms of M on this site. Which in turn gives me that warm lovely feeling inside that I get when I know I've done something 'good'.;)

"And isn’t it clear that Morrissey half-imagines himself as a high-minded Goethe or Wilde, hell-bent on elevating the pop-culture vocabulary of the masses, whether they like it or not?"

Nobody with any exposure to Goethe or Wilde could read beyond Page 1 of 'Lost of The Lost' and take such a claim seriously.

“Edgar Allen Poe couldn’t concoct this.”

Of course he couldn't, as he was a serious writer. Unlike Morrissey.

"That brief quip may, in the eyes of critics, simply reinforce the notion that Morrissey is narcissistic and self-aggrandizing. But even as he aspires to a similar prose style, List of the Lost addresses sexuality, religion, humor and death in ways that no nineteenth-century author could have."

Morrissey is narcissistic, self-aggrandizing and completely delusional. His absurd 'novel' addresses issues of sexuality and religion as if it was STILL the nineteenth century, solely in order to embalm himself and his readers in his own morbid, neuroticism. In the nineteenth century, explicitly addressing homosexuality was a criminal offence. Morrissey's convoluted, nonsensical ramblings suggest he still thinks the law hasn't changed.

Your claim that "Morrissey writes with his own voice" is demonstrated by the fact that he resolutely refuses to allow his 'characters' to have a voice, other than as puppets of his dire musings about politics and culture.

I could go on but what's the point? Morrissey has been exposed as bereft of serious literary credentials. Only the hardcore of his cult now seriously suggest he is a serious artist. The author of this misguided attempt to take 'List of The Lost' seriously is clearly part of that residual, rump cult.

best
The Ghost of BrummieBoy

brummie is right, this review of yours is embarrassing. goethe? did you write this review in the comfort of a certain luxurious five star hotel?
its best you wear a paper bag over your head when you are around your peers for the foreseeable future.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom