"List of the Lost" reviews in The Telegraph, The Independent; media mentions

An anonymous person posted the link (original post):Morrissey's novel: the verdict by Charlotte Runcie (1 of 5 stars) - The Telegraph
Excerpt:

But what struck me is just how little these atrocious sex scenes stand out. The rest of the novel is just as overwrought, just as nonsensical, just as poorly conceived, awkwardly expressed and lazily imagined.

Some of Morrissey’s sentences defy all understanding: ... “What makes wild bluebells wild? And could they ever be tamed?” ......“Electrons from me need electrons from you in order to become electrons”..“animals do not need money”.

Morrissey recently announced that the final performances of his current solo tour will be his last in the UK. This fuelled speculation that he is about to retire as a singer-songwriter for good, to focus on the written word. We must beg him to reconsider."

An anonymous person writes (original post):

Another largely negative newspaper review - this time from The Independent:

List of the Lost by Morrissey, first read: Debut novel is a leaden festival of self-pity by Adam Sherwin (2 of 5 stars) - The Independent

Uncleskinny posted the link (original post):

Death of 1000 Cuts slices and dices Morrissey's List of the Lost - The List
Tim Clare casts his eye over Morrissey’s debut novel to explain all the poor reviews

An anonymous person posts (original post):

Another savage review from The Telegraph:

I love Morrissey, but his novel List of the Lost is woeful by Michael Deacon - The Telegraph
As a fan, I feel bad criticising it. So I'll quote from it instead

"The worst novel I’ve ever read...

The prose is a relentless thumping migraine of alliteration, assonance and rhyme. “Plungingly plump parents laugh loudly.” I suppose it’s meant to sound like James Joyce, but ultimately it’s more like a 40,000-word tongue-twister. And as for the sex... for years Morrissey claimed to be celibate. Now I’ve read his sex scenes, I believe him. They’re laughable."

I have never seen this many bad reviews for a book. Will this get a single half-decent newspaper review? It's not looking likely, at this stage!

UPDATE 10:00 AM PT:

Links posted in the comments:

Don't give up the day job, Morrissey! Singer's first novel is 'obvious frontrunner' for this year's Bad Sex In Fiction prize, say award organisers - Daily Mail. Link posted by an anonymous person.

Morrissey Has an Exceptionally Weird Term for "Boner" - Fuse. Link posted by Famous when dead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, all of these reviews are making me more excited to read it. My copy won't make it to the States until October though. :(

_What the pedestrian critic calls an unhealthy, bad, the worst novel- is always a beautiful and
healthy work of art._
LIST OF THE LOST - splendid book.

Vegan.Cro - how about you stop aping Oscar Wilde's preface to Dorian Gray and post some ideas of your own? It's getting boring now.

Don't give up your day job Silly Steven will you !
Oh sorry you haven't got a record label have you !

Looking forward to the many True-to-Uncle statements/updates on the books chart ratings.

Benny-the-British-Butcher

Honestly, all of these reviews are making me more excited to read it. My copy won't make it to the States until October though. :(

Sir (or Lady), just read the novel, and consider: _On the whole, an artist in England gains something by being attacked.
His individuality is intensified. He becomes more completely himself. Of
course, the attacks (on Morrissey) are very gross, very impertinent, and very
contemptible. But then no artist expects grace from the vulgar mind, or
style from the suburban intellect._
LIST OF THE LOST - excellent book.

Genuine enquiry.

Are you excited to read it, hoping, in your own mind at least, to proof the critics wrong?. Or based on the response so far, is there a part of you hoping it so bad its good?.

My copy arrived yesterday and I really, really wanted to love it.

*In my opinion* its the book reading equivalent of trying to swim backstroke across a swimming pool full of treacle whilst somebody repeatedly prods you on the forehead with their finger. My head started to ache!.

Re: Article: "List of the Lost" reviews in The Telegraph, The Independent; media mentions

Genuine enquiry.

Are you excited to read it, hoping, in your own mind at least, to proof the critics wrong?. Or based on the response so far, is there a part of you hoping it so bad its good?.

*In my opinion* its the book reading equivalent of trying to swim backstroke across a swimming pool full of treacle whilst somebody repeatedly prods you on the forehead with their finger. My head started to ache!.

Even those who think they're over him, who think they walked out on him or that he walked out on them years ago, know deep down, in those really squidgy bits they don't let anyone else see, that they'll never, ever be rid of him. The more they ignore him, the closer he gets.
LIST OF THE LOST - exceptionally good book.

- - - Updated - - -

Vegan.Cro - how about you stop aping Oscar Wilde's preface to Dorian Gray and post some ideas of your own? It's getting boring now.

As regards erudition, Wild(e) forever.

Even those who think they're over him, who think they walked out on him or that he walked out on them years ago, know deep down, in those really squidgy bits they don't let anyone else see, that they'll never, ever be rid of him. The more they ignore him, the closer he gets.
LIST OF THE LOST - exceptionally good book.

"I'm writing this to say,
In a gentle way,
My Balls, your bloody chin!"

Sir (or Lady), just read the novel, and consider: _On the whole, an artist in England gains something by being attacked.

This....and my suburban intellect whole heartily loves Morrissey. I have a cuddle to spare if he needs one.

Oh dear.

He really has lost it artistically.

Anyone who thinks that last album is good , is frankly , an idiot and it appears the book is a continuation.

The last album has been the final nail and no one will touch him because it's gone , well , lazy.

Lazy artwork , lazy songwriting etc etc. there is nothing to get excited about anymore and don't get me started on this 'band' of his , who are , responsible. Make no bones about it , they are responsible for the shite they compose and they are the problem why he can't get a deal , apart from the fact that he bad mouths his last record company at the drop of a hat.

Really , f*** HARVEST , and you expect to get a deal from another company? What planet is he living on because it is not a reality.

If he is so confident of selling records , why doesn't he do the DIY ? , why ? He has a manager that could arrange for vinyl , cd,s , marketing etc , if not , I'll do it.

There we are: I WILL ARRANGE FOR THE SALE OF YOUR RECORDS MOZ. I WILL PRODUCE YOUR WEBSTORE, TALK WITH ITV AND SKY ABOUT TV ADVERTS AND I WILL TALK WITH VINYL AND CD MANUFACTURERS. YOU JUST SORT OUT A ENGINEER AND RECORD PRODUCER.

THE ONLY STIPULATION IS THAT YOU GET RID OF THAT FKIN BAND.

As far as I am aware , I don't even think the band get a deal?

any way , I'll wait for the book to hit the clearance bin.

Never thought it would ever come to this.........maybe there are a few more film premieres to go to.

Genuine enquiry.

Long time lurker, first time poster, so I thought I would just make an account.

My mind believes that when it arrives and I finally get to read the things, that maybe I will see something that the critics aren't seeing. Music critics are the worst type of people and I don't see how anyone can take anything a music critic says seriously, but book critics and reviews, I think, can be taken a bit more seriously. At the same time, books still do have different effects on people just as music does and you can't really knock it until you try it.

As being a Morrissey lover, obsessor, etc., as we are, I know I will love it in some way even if I don't want to admit it.

Plus, its 120 pages, right? Its not that big of a deal to read it and move on if you don't feel anything. You aren't losing much out of 120 pages.

Also, List of the Lost is $7.65 USD shipped over at the Book Depository. An amazing price.

My mind believes that when it arrives and I finally get to read the things, that maybe I will see something that the critics aren't seeing. Music critics are the worst type of people and I don't see how anyone can take anything a music critic says seriously, but book critics and reviews, I think, can be taken a bit more seriously. At the same time, books still do have different effects on people just as music does and you can't really knock it until you try it.

As being a Morrissey lover, obsessor, etc., as we are, I know I will love it in some way even if I don't want to admit it.

Plus, its 120 pages, right? Its not that big of a deal to read it and move on if you don't feel anything. You aren't losing much out of 120 pages.

Also, List of the Lost is $7.65 USD shipped over at the Book Depository. An amazing price.

Thanks for the reply. Valid points made.

Sir, it is great book, written with real flair.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom