Live at Earl's Court is ridiculously good

Vegan

And the story goes there's ZERO tampering with the audio. No overdubs? No punch ins or fixits? They managed a perfect sound level and Moz sounds at the top of his game. It's even better than "Who Put The M In Manchester".

I would personally say that Live at Earls Court is my favourite of the two live albums. A better selection of songs, including several of The Smiths classics, and the addition of a keyboard player boosted the sound.

Beethoven was Deaf is enjoyable too though. Particularly for the superior versions of the likes of 'The Loop' and 'Jack the Ripper'. Nine songs from Your Arsenal was pushing it though...

After I posted I thought that I'm probably being really typical because, as Vegan has pointed out, lots of people here think earlier is better, but I still feel like Beethoven Was Deaf is a great live album, and maybe even better than Rank. I also recommend "Introducing Morrissey" most of which is on youtube.
Maybe I will appreciate Live at Earls Court more later, but I don't really want to hear Morrissey sing The Smiths, so that's not a selling point, and putting nine songs from record is pushing it, but I never realized that. I hate "You're The One For Me, Fatty" but other than that it's got some really great versions of a lot of my favorites.

And the story goes there's ZERO tampering with the audio. No overdubs? No punch ins or fixits? They managed a perfect sound level and Moz sounds at the top of his game. It's even better than "Who Put The M In Manchester".
who's the old bugger in your picture?

Beethoven is by far my fav Moz live album. For some reason I just can't warm ro Earl's Court as much. i think arsenal is his best 'touring' album so I'm slightly biased. I'm gaga for '92 Moz LOL.

After I posted I thought that I'm probably being really typical because, as Vegan has pointed out, lots of people here think earlier is better, but I still feel like Beethoven Was Deaf is a great live album, and maybe even better than Rank. I also recommend "Introducing Morrissey" most of which is on youtube.
Maybe I will appreciate Live at Earls Court more later, but I don't really want to hear Morrissey sing The Smiths, so that's not a selling point, and putting nine songs from record is pushing it, but I never realized that. I hate "You're The One For Me, Fatty" but other than that it's got some really great versions of a lot of my favorites.

Just placed an order. It's out of print here in the states but not hard to find. In fact all of his CDs are easy to find and disturbingly cheap. What about DVDs? I have "25 Live" and "Who Put The M In Manchester". I also have the bonus DVD on "Your Arsenal", which is VHS quality if you ask me. Which DVD should I get next?

No...also great?

I can't take any of your comments seriously now, no wonder you think Kiss Me A Lot Is awesome, you mustve come into morrissey at the back end of his career. I mean, who hasnt heard beethoven was deaf, plastic fan.

Just placed an order. It's out of print here in the states but not hard to find. In fact all of his CDs are easy to find and disturbingly cheap. What about DVDs? I have "25 Live" and "Who Put The M In Manchester". I also have the bonus DVD on "Your Arsenal", which is VHS quality if you ask me. Which DVD should I get next?

Someone else will know what it's called but I think there's a dvd of all the music videos witch to me is worth getting if your watching DVDs

Beethoven is far better for me. It sounds like a great live band in full flight - of which Morrissey is an equal part- Earl's Court sounds pretty plastic and soulless in comparison - a huge vocal out front, and a backing band several million miles away. It sounds too smooth and polished to me.

I can't take any of your comments seriously now, no wonder you think Kiss Me A Lot Is awesome, you mustve come into morrissey at the back end of his career. I mean, who hasnt heard beethoven was deaf, plastic fan.
He/she is a new fan, you hateful cretin. What's so hard to understand about that?

I have purchased all his official CD releases (including "Word Of Morrissey", "My Burglary Years", "Swords" and 2 DVDs). I had balked on "Beethoven" because it contains 9 (!) songs from a single album. But I love Eral's Court so much I placed an order for BWD yesterday. Yes I think "Kiss Me A Lot" is awesome MELODICALLY. There's room for erudite as well as light-hearted genius. It was his singing voice and knack for great hooks that first turned me on to him. His wit and depth lyrically sealed the deal.

'Beethoven' was back in the days when Moz only had three studio albums out, and was still heroically refusing to perform any Smiths songs live - so yeah, the setlist is super 'Your Arsenal'-heavy, but it's a really vibrant document of the tour. I'd say 'Jack the Ripper', 'The Loop' and 'We'll Let You Know' piss all over the studio versions - Morrissey's falsetto on the last of these is epic, whereas on the record it's mixed so low you can barely make it out.

'Beethoven' was back in the days when Moz only had three studio albums out, and was still heroically refusing to perform any Smiths songs live - so yeah, the setlist is super 'Your Arsenal'-heavy, but it's a really vibrant document of the tour. I'd say 'Jack the Ripper', 'The Loop' and 'We'll Let You Know' piss all over the studio versions - Morrissey's falsetto on the last of these is epic, whereas on the record it's mixed so low you can barely make it out.

Agree with most of this. I'm probably one of the few that doesn't really love Quarry, but do love Arsenal, so it may come down to which era you prefer. As far as Smiths songs go, well I have Rank, so for me that doesn't factor on how I evaluate the 2 Moz solo live efforts.

Of of all the overall live offerings, even though it never got an official release I'd say Live at the Hollywood Bowl may be my overall favourite. The set-list for that show is epic.

i do so wish you would change it. also your name. the name 'herbivore' with a picture of a bunny eating carrots would be much more pleasing on all levels. or even just a carrot. anything but that awful awful man.

"Live at Earl's Court" has some good moments, but overall it is overly slick-sounding and I think probably tampered with in the studio prior to release.

Back
Top Bottom