London - Brixton Academy (Mar. 1, 2018) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

The Last Of The Famous International Playboys / I Wish You Lonely / Suedehead / Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up On The Stage / My Love, I'd Do Anything For You / The Bullfighter Dies / Munich Air Disaster 1958 / When You Open Your Legs / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / I Bury The Living / Back On The Chain Gang / If You Don't Like Me, Don't Look At Me / Home Is A Question Mark / Who Will Protect Us From The Police? / Spent The Day In Bed / Jack The Ripper / Hold On To Your Friends / How Soon Is Now? / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Judy Is A Punk // Irish Blood, English Heart

Setlist provided by an anonymous person.

• Morrissey review: Big mouth strikes with more shock and awe by Rick Pearson (3 of 5 stars, 1 photo by Angela Lubrano) - London Evening Standard. Link posted by an anonymous person.

42364_london-brixton.jpg
  • Morrissey's quest to be disliked continues - Brixton Academy, review by Chris Harvey (3 of 5 stars, 1 photo by Angela Lubrano) - The Telegraph. Link posted by Famous when dead.
  • Morrissey, Brixton Academy, London — classics and clunkers by Ludovic Hunter-Tilney (2 of 5 stars, 1 photo by Angela Lubrano) - Financial Times. Link posted by Famous when dead.

Last edited:
View From The Top Of The Circle...

1.- Background
As mentioned earlier I just signed up to this forum yesterday having got a ticket a few hours earlier, I have seen Morrissey a couple of times live before, last time I think was in 2013/14 (The O2). Before that some time waaaaay back in the 90s probably.
So please treat this as an amatuer semi part time Fan review. I don't know too much of his last couple of albums, but had been listening the last few days to his recent one, which I thought was pretty good on the whole (I love I Bury The Dead).
Basically I love classic Moz and Smiths and think he has some absolute thumpers, such as November Spawned a Monster and some stunning showcase songs like Maudalin Street (I think that's my fave song of his, so emosh... But I am normally a thumper kind of guy).

2.-Logistics
(might aid future Moz Gig Goers time wise, etc)

Arrived outside the Brixton Academy about 19.50pm, and was a bit surprised to see folk starting to flow in already as I was aware he was on stage at 21.00 ish (he came on about 21.05 eventually).

I went in about 20.00, and there was the usual security pat down, etc. Staff were good at getting people moving and into the place in my opinion.

Went upstairs grabbed a double whiskey and coke, for which I think I paid a rather daft £11 or so (?)...I used contactless so didn't see for sure,I was in a devil may care kind of mood, it that's right then blimey though..., and sat right at the top of the Circle, which began filling up.

The 30 min intro video thing started at. 20.30ish

As I looked around (Circle only, can't see ANY of the crowd below from there unless in the front rows, which isn't great for atmos)....I saw many, probably most, folk still wearing their big winter coats cos of Snowmagedon outside. It was nippy though, and I kept mine on too. Bit odd for a gig...and with a generally older crowd upstairs it felt a bit like a large coach party to Skegness in January.

I was surprised I didn't see some hot Bovril in a flask.

Anyhow the band played and the singer sang till approx 22.35 as One was expecting.

3.- Moz

I thought he was on GREAT form. When he first came out on stage he bared a fair bit of chest before launching into his opener, and he sounded pretty fantastic I thought. It and He was REALLY thumping.
When I last saw him a few years ago I believe there had been some concerning health issues, etc, and he did look and sounded tired and drawn that time to me...but he was like a thirty year old out there. Very impressive performance wise, vocally, physically (he did a fair bit of hip shuffling early on, haha, he looked like he was enjoying it for sure).

4.- Buts

But to be honest even though I was impressed with him very much, I was not impressed with the gig as an ''event', mainly because of setlist and audience issues (maybe particular to the Circle, I dunno)
Started brilliantly, with Playboys. And the Circle was up in its feet for that and heralding and screaming his name at the end of it....but that was pretty much the whole time all night that the Circle reacted enthusiastically to anything really.
Sure there was cheers for How Soon Is Now, Everyday, Irish Blood Later on, but it was just a few pockets of folk in the upstairs REALLY getting into it.

And I think a reason for this is the setlist simply lost a lot of folk, and for me the particualy point where the crowd lost a fair bit of interest was the combination of the Bullfighter song, and Then the Munich 1958 song.
I could just see some of the crowd around me looking bored, getting phones out, shaking heads etc. I personally know the Munich 58 story pretty well having a father / relatives who support United, but why he doesn't keep that song only for Manchester performances I do not know, it just feels SO odd.

The crowd didn't seem to have heard the new album at all. Moz did a great performance of I Bury The Dead, but the folk around me seemed pretty non plussed, etc. 98% of the Circle were sat down quietly for 98% of the time.

5.- Conclusion

I dunno, maybe being a bit harsh, maybe I had higher hopes of more of an event which the gig I had last seen him in had felt like.

Maybe I should just avoid the Circle in Brixton.

Anyhow, As You Were LG x

Who roared from the stalls and who gurgled from the circle and who did drugs in the toilets. That leaning floor is a great work out for the calf muscles.

View From The Top Of The Circle...

1.- Background
As mentioned earlier I just signed up to this forum yesterday having got a ticket a few hours earlier, I have seen Morrissey a couple of times live before, last time I think was in 2013/14 (The O2). Before that some time waaaaay back in the 90s probably.
So please treat this as an amatuer semi part time Fan review. I don't know too much of his last couple of albums, but had been listening the last few days to his recent one, which I thought was pretty good on the whole (I love I Bury The Dead).
Basically I love classic Moz and Smiths and think he has some absolute thumpers, such as November Spawned a Monster and some stunning showcase songs like Maudalin Street (I think that's my fave song of his, so emosh... But I am normally a thumper kind of guy).

2.-Logistics
(might aid future Moz Gig Goers time wise, etc)

Arrived outside the Brixton Academy about 19.50pm, and was a bit surprised to see folk starting to flow in already as I was aware he was on stage at 21.00 ish (he came on about 21.05 eventually).

I went in about 20.00, and there was the usual security pat down, etc. Staff were good at getting people moving and into the place in my opinion.

Went upstairs grabbed a double whiskey and coke, for which I think I paid a rather daft £11 or so (?)...I used contactless so didn't see for sure,I was in a devil may care kind of mood, it that's right then blimey though..., and sat right at the top of the Circle, which began filling up.

The 30 min intro video thing started at. 20.30ish

As I looked around (Circle only, can't see ANY of the crowd below from there unless in the front rows, which isn't great for atmos)....I saw many, probably most, folk still wearing their big winter coats cos of Snowmagedon outside. It was nippy though, and I kept mine on too. Bit odd for a gig...and with a generally older crowd upstairs it felt a bit like a large coach party to Skegness in January.

I was surprised I didn't see some hot Bovril in a flask.

Anyhow the band played and the singer sang till approx 22.35 as One was expecting.

3.- Moz

I thought he was on GREAT form. When he first came out on stage he bared a fair bit of chest before launching into his opener, and he sounded pretty fantastic I thought. It and He was REALLY thumping.
When I last saw him a few years ago I believe there had been some concerning health issues, etc, and he did look and sounded tired and drawn that time to me...but he was like a thirty year old out there. Very impressive performance wise, vocally, physically (he did a fair bit of hip shuffling early on, haha, he looked like he was enjoying it for sure).

4.- Buts

But to be honest even though I was impressed with him very much, I was not impressed with the gig as an ''event', mainly because of setlist and audience issues (maybe particular to the Circle, I dunno)
Started brilliantly, with Playboys. And the Circle was up in its feet for that and heralding and screaming his name at the end of it....but that was pretty much the whole time all night that the Circle reacted enthusiastically to anything really.
Sure there was cheers for How Soon Is Now, Everyday, Irish Blood Later on, but it was just a few pockets of folk in the upstairs REALLY getting into it.

And I think a reason for this is the setlist simply lost a lot of folk, and for me the particualy point where the crowd lost a fair bit of interest was the combination of the Bullfighter song, and Then the Munich 1958 song.
I could just see some of the crowd around me looking bored, getting phones out, shaking heads etc. I personally know the Munich 58 story pretty well having a father / relatives who support United, but why he doesn't keep that song only for Manchester performances I do not know, it just feels SO odd.

The crowd didn't seem to have heard the new album at all. Moz did a great performance of I Bury The Dead, but the folk around me seemed pretty non plussed, etc. 98% of the Circle were sat down quietly for 98% of the time.

5.- Conclusion

I dunno, maybe being a bit harsh, maybe I had higher hopes of more of an event which the gig I had last seen him in had felt like.

Maybe I should just avoid the Circle in Brixton.

Anyhow, As You Were LG x

This is how God works I guess.

http://123moviies.org/watch-high-hopes-1988-123movies.html

Pretty much perfect video with great audio (Although I would have done everything possible to keep the security dude's face out of the frame). Love the moves at 2:20.

Last edited:
Review of Morrissey at the Brixton Academy, london 1/3/18

The first of Morrissey's four London shows kick-started with a little something special from him to us: "The last of the international playboys". The crowd absolutely loved it and it felt very Morrissey.

The concert continued with mainly songs from the last album and the volume was a bit low, the sound only ok and crowd timid. All of these things nothing out of the ordinary though, and all was really quite fine. "Munich air disaster" was rather beautiful and the footage helped transpire a sense of Mancunian grief that couldn't or wouldn't fit or suit many other acts. (I can only think of the Roses.)

"The third Israel song" from the Low in High school album that opens with Moz singing about leaving a dodgy (?) club in Tel Aviv followed suit and felt close to his heart. Old b-side "If you don't like me.." was lovely and felt suitable in these days when western liberalism sometimes seems rather narrow and intolerant. "Who will protect us from the police?" reminded us that it is as a rebel and a punk, more than anything, he should be seen, appreciated and thought of. Heavy and tough, it proved a success live.

"Spent the day" was a crowd favourite. And of course, it would be. A catchy song with an arch-classic Moz message of not leaving the sheets; a message that points back to Your arsenal days (and making us long for them):

You're just another fool with radical views
You're just another who has maddening views
You want to turn it on its head
By staying in bed!"
I said: "I know I do"

The fans had filled the place up and they were respectful, focused, quite mature and very... white. Boring? Yes, but not annoyingly so.

"Jack the Ripper" with its red stage lighting felt maybe not as emotionally strong as previously on this tour and Vauxhall and I piece "Hold on to your friends" failed to mirror that albums top place among Moz's creations. Smiths "How soon is now" was the highlight of the show and Brixton Academy vibrated of love and praise for one of the most important, honest and integrity-filled pop-persons Britain has (ever had).

Then it was wrapped up with a sing-along "Everyday is like Sunday" and "Irish blood..." as an encore with a little punk glam snippet in the cover of Ramone's "Judy is a punk" squeezed in between; rather lovely, really. For me, that cover was one of the most adorable moments of the show: Morrissey, the proud, manly and clever one, letting his quiff down in a playful and naive punk tribute to the love and roots of his youth.

It was a nice show that warmed us up and made the journey home, through snow-filled London streets, almost glimmer.

Thank you.
The moshpit tho, non existent. Don't these young things know it's rock n roll and they're allowed to freak? It was all so tame in the crowd. The Moz moshpit used to be the best, I'm shocked really how it's changed.

Tamest mosh pit ever. I chose Brixton as its normally the best. Very youngish crowd. No moshing at all. Too polite. Too sanitised. But the set was fabulous. I wanted to go mental but I would have been the only one and probably ejected!
I'm sooo hoping Ally Pally will be a bit more exciting down at the front.

Pretty much perfect video with great audio (Although I would have done everything possible to keep the security dude's face out of the frame). Love the moves at 2:20.

THAT is mortifyingly horrible. Creepy old uncle Moz, flicking his tits and crooning a half-assed, tone-deaf rendition of his own song. The band are absolutely BRUTAL.

I recently sent Morrissey a bag of dicks to suck on. Apparently, he’s about halfway through.

Hail Rourke and Joyce. Your contributions aren’t forgotten by those with sanity and aural capability.

Jesus f***.

The moshpit tho, non existent. Don't these young things know it's rock n roll and they're allowed to freak? It was all so tame in the crowd. The Moz moshpit used to be the best, I'm shocked really how it's changed.
Listen to the f***ing dribble they’re trying to pass off as music. Which tune warrants dancing? ...let alone moshing? Spent the Day in Bed? Get a tiny grip.

You don’t need a mosh-pit at a dad-rock concert. Fat Elvis never had one. ...and Morrissey doesn’t hold a candle to Fat Elvis.

You will soon fall asleep after having a wank. That completes a day in your life march 1st 2018. It will never ever return.
...and you’ll continue the fruitless pursuit of slurping on Morrissey’s over-scrubbed balls. ...and while I lay, fully released - bent toward slumber, still you suckle in the teat. I’ve lost nothing. This day? That wank? Glorious.

More memorable than anything in Morrissey’s oeuvre since 1995. ;)

...and you’ll continue the fruitless pursuit of slurping on Morrissey’s over-scrubbed balls. ...and while I lay, fully released - bent toward slumber, still you suckle in the teat. I’ve lost nothing. This day? That wank? Glorious.

Let me doubt that very much but pleased for you and take care of your new friend mister Tinnitus. You mentioned the word bent first not me.

A mango is never fruitless.

Here is what should happen: drop the covers, drop the Smiths stuff, play only large venues, major cities (remember Wolongabadong?), limit the tour to one year max, clean up the house (keep Matt and Martin). I am certain that the others in the band are very nice people, they just don’t cut the mustard.

It's equally sad/amusing, but this is the 3rd show I've seen on this UK tour, and the exact same thing happens every night: the 'Meat is Murder' backdrop image comes up, and about 90% of the people around me start going apeshit thinking he's going to play something off the album, begin whooping and getting their phones/cameras out to record it. Then he starts playing 'I Bury The Dead', and all the phones instantly come back down, and everyone around me is all "What the f*** is this song?"

Like Morrissey himself, his fans are slowing down with age. Times change.

Thirty years ago he wouldn’t have thought it necessary to walk on stage shouting “free speech.” It was taken as read. Now, less so. Education in reverse.

It's funny it looked to me like the ruthless Nazi bombed the England to pieces ,I don't remember any country coming close to USA .READ YOUR HISTORY BOOKS
You dumb, uneducated f***wit. Given that Britain is a lot closer to Germany than the USA, it’s inevitable it would get bombed. Did it destroy the country? Obviously not prick. You c***s only joined in right at the end when all the hard work was done, and only because you feared you’d be next on the list once Germany had conquered Europe. I doubt you even have any history books in U (uneducated) S (stupid) A (arseholes) so f*** off c***.

Sorry but that is awfully BAD.
"Bring back free speech" L O L ! Let's just bring back Der Spiegel Steve, we know you're lying when we see your lips move.
Please sing leather elbows on a wool and cashmere coat at the next performance. :brows:

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

Back
Top Bottom