Looking for Smiths Radio Interviews

Cameron Hayes

I'm seeking radio interviews and documentaries with/about The Smiths. I know that a couple of them were released on bootleg cd's but I could not found out where to purchase.
Every help would be much appreciated... Really like the interviews MOZ gives today and would love to hear what they said when they were THE SMITHS...
Saw that a few of them were mentioned here in the forum already but when offered for download the links doesn't work anymore...

This is a [probably still incomplete] list of interviews I know about [thanks mainly to http://www.passionsjustlikemine.com ]:

17 September 1983 - London's LBC Radio (UK)
Phone interview.
Guess this is the one with Bob Pearce which was released on several picture 12inches/7inches, right?

8 November 1983 - Sheffield Radio (UK)
Interview of Morrissey and Marr probably recorded a few weeks earlier when they were in Sheffield.

5 December 1983 - CKLN Radio (Canada)
50 minutes interview with Morrissey for Canadian radio, from the rehearsal rooms for the single with Sandie Shaw.

9 December 1983 - Radio One's Roundtable Show (UK, BBC Radio One)
Morrissey interview

18 December 1983 - The Great Rock'n'Roll Trivia Quiz (UK, BBC Radio One)
Morrissey answered questions alongside Alan Barton (Black Lace), Steve Luscombe (Blancmange), Dave Lee Travis, Warren Cann (Ultravox) and Matt Johnson (The The).

(1983) - Round Table (UK, BBC Radio One)
Morrissey and Paul Weller review new singles. One of the songs reviewed was the Television Personalities' "A Sense Of Belonging". On a 2005 compilation titled "And They All Lived Happily Ever After, the latter band included a 2-minute audio excerpt of this show where Morrissey and Weller review their record.

31 January 1984 - Radio Sheffield (UK)
Morrissey interview.

15 February 1984 - Radio Trent (UK)
Morrissey interview.

25 February 1984 - Saturday Live (UK, BBC Radio One)
Morrissey appearance to plug the debut album.

31 March 1984 - Saturday Live (UK, BBC Radio One)
Sandie Shaw appears a short time before the release of her single with The Smiths.

6 April 1984 - Round Table (UK, BBC Radio One)
Morrissey and Sandie Shaw find themselves with Richard Skinner and David Jensen to review the week's new singles. Of everything that was played, he only liked an Echo And The Bunnymen song which he described as "really excellent".

18 May 1984 - RTE Radio (Dublin, Ireland)
Five minute interview of Johnny Marr before a concert. Topics: future plans, the debut album, the "Still Ill" promo.

30 May 1984 - Collectors' Choice
Johnny Marr was interviewed and played his favourite songs.

1 June 1984 - RTE Radio (Dublin, Ireland)
One hour interview

August? 1984 - Danish Radio
Morrissey interview, exact date unknown.

31 August 1984 - London's LBC Radio (UK)
Phone-in interview by fans.

6 October 1984 - My Top Ten (UK, BBC Radio One)
Morrissey top ten. Host Andy Peebles interviewed Morrissey about his life, music career, meeting Sandie Shaw, kitchen sink dramas and his favourite 10 tracks, which were also played. This was webcast from BBC6 in 2006 as part of a series of music documentaries from the BBC archives.

9 or 19 February 1985 - Saturday Live (UK, BBC Radio One)
Morrissey and Marr interview.

13 February 1985 - Janice Long (UK, BBC Radio One)
Morrissey interview.

18 February 1985 - Downtown Radio Belfast
Interview.

7 April 1985 - Australian radio
Baktabak cd interview to Australian radio. Any idea where to find the cd?

17 May 1985 - (Spain)
Morrissey interview.

25 June 1985 - 91X, San Diego (USA)
Morrissey and Johnny Marr interview by Dwight Arnold and Pam Wolf done at the Hotel Del Coronado before the Smiths concert the same night.

Early 1986 - Catalonia Radio Special (Spain)
Montage of interviews of The Smiths from different periods of their career.

10 February 1986 - RTE 2 (Ireland)
Mike Joyce interview.

18 February 1986 - Downtown Radio
Interview

29 July 1986 - CHRW (London Canada)
Interview

31 July 1986 - CFNY (Toronto, Canada)
Morrissey interview while he was in town of a concert. Topics included among others: how Morrissey had to bury this cat in the rain.

3 August 1986 - New Music Foundation (CHOM FM, Montreal, Canada)
Morrissey interview by Benoit Dufresne.

30 December 1986 - Janice Long (BBC Radio One)
Morrissey interviewed by Janice Long.

11 February 1987 - Dave Fanning (RTE, Ireland)
Morrissey interview by Dave Fanning. Topics includes the future of the Smiths and the legal battle with Rough Trade, amongst other things.

24 May 1987 - WLIR (USA)
Johnny Marr interview.

28 May 1987 - KROQ (Los Angeles, USA)
Johnny Marr interview at the time of release of "Louder Than Bombs".

2 October 1987 - Singled Out (BBC Radio One)
Morrissey and Howard Devoto are guests and give their opinions on new releases.

20 February 1997 - Loveline (KROQ, USA)
Mike Joyce and Andy Rourke are guests.

27 November 2005 - Mark Riley's Mint (BBC6, UK)
Mike Joyce interview during which he played an instrumental outtake from the Smiths days titled "The Cowbell" aka "The Click Track".

...and last but not least

"The Smiths At The Beeb" (BBC1, BBC6 - UK)
1 hour documentary about the Smiths w/interviews etc.
Was released on some bootleg cd as well but forgot its name...

Who can help, give hints, know adds to this list or know where interviews were released as bootleg etc.?

Thanks a ton!

@WhatDifferenceDoesItMake:
Whoa... that was really a rapid sharing! :)
I am downloading right now but guess will be to tired to listen yet...
Thanks alot!

Hey,

looking through these interviews it seems hardly any (if any) of them are from the Kill Uncle, Your Arsenal and Vauxhall And I periods and I just wonder if there are any radio (or TV) interviews from these periods? And if so, are they available anywhere?

oh, i didn't read the whole thread properly and i see these interviews are all Smiths related, but nevertheless, my question above concerning moz interviews in the early-mid nineties still stands :)

Hey,

looking through these interviews it seems hardly any (if any) of them are from the Kill Uncle, Your Arsenal and Vauxhall And I periods and I just wonder if there are any radio (or TV) interviews from these periods? And if so, are they available anywhere?

I have a 1991 interview to a radio station called WDRE in 3 parts - it's really long and the rar is about 90 MB, so it'll take ages to download... I also have these:

Morrissey interview WFNX Boston 1994

http://www.sendspace.com/file/mkhvmj

Morrissey Q awards interview 1994

http://www.sendspace.com/file/3o09wu

Thanks a lot nightanday, much appreciated :)

I had never heard the Boston interview and only a much shorter snippet of the Q-awards interview.

As for the WDRE interview, is that the one with Malibu Sue? I've got it already and yes, it IS long, so I wouldn't have expected you to upload it.

But thanks for the other two.

Cameron Hayes said:
17 September 1983 - London's LBC Radio (UK)
Phone interview.
Guess this is the one with Bob Pearce which was released on several picture 12inches/7inches, right?

No it's not, actually! :D The LBC one is only 5 minutes long, and sounds remarkably like this :D

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=G5GV2IWN

Tim

Tim, thanks a ton!!! :) Much appreciated...
I am wondering if this was the 1st radio interview ever for the Smiths?

Back
Top Bottom