Los Angeles, CA - "The Late Late Show with James Corden" (Nov. 7, 2018) - Reminder/Reports

Morrissey is scheduled to appear on "The Late Late Show with James Corden" on Nov. 7, 2018.

Link posted by countthree:

Link posted by docinwestchester:

Link posted by Famous when dead:

Morrissey Pumps Up 'Late Late Show' With Lively Rendition of Pretenders' 'Back on the Chain Gang': Watch - Billboard

44847_Morrissey-corden-billboard-1548.jpg

Terence Patrick/CBS

Morrissey Late Show With James Pictures and Images (6 total) - Getty Images. Link via @ericacalil / Twitter.

44858_gettyimages-1059690836-1024x1024.jpg

Terence Patrick/CBS

Image posted by Famous when dead (from @officialmoz Tweet now reposted):

44804_44794_IMG_20181106_162121.jpg

Last edited:
Songwriting? The Bullfighter Dies, People are the Same Everywhere, When You Open Your Legs, I Bury the Living and Kiss Me a Lot are among Morrissey's worst songs ever.

I think he hired him because he fancied him and didn't bother to check whether he could actually play. As the years have clocked up, what he lacks in musicality he more than compensates for in total obedience and arse-licking - that alone probably makes him indispensable. My own particular theory, though, is the main reason he keeps him on now is to spite everyone on Solo who bitches about him. In all seriousness, I can see that being a huge motivating factor.

You nailed it there. My own theory is that Morrissey cares as much about the visuals as he cares about the auditive aspects (if not more), he likes his musicians to have certain looks. Jesse scores well on that first criterion, Boz much less so now these days although he is the better musician by a large margin. So Jesse gets a place on stage in the spotlight, whereas Boz is hidden at the far end of the stage.

Mind you, there was also a strong visual aspect to the "lads", the younger band consisting of Alain, Gary and Spencer.

I think this is true. There is a visual aspect to all bands (was it Dale Hibbert who was made to have a haircut?) - but solo, Morrissey doesn't have someone like Johnny properly vetting the quality of the musicians. Even Boz and Alain were just friends of friends when they came on board, and so were hardly likely to challenge the guy who pays them.

But is that a reason to keep Jesse so long? Moz is almost 60 and neither he, Boz or Jesse look like they did 20 years ago. Keeping an incapable musician for such a reason is self sabotage.

:sleeping:

MOZ IS BOSS

and that’s ALL that matters.

:cool:

Last edited:
I think this is true. There is a visual aspect to all bands (was it Dale Hibbert who was made to have a haircut?) - but solo, Morrissey doesn't have someone like Johnny properly vetting the quality of the musicians. Even Boz and Alain were just friends of friends when they came on board, and so were hardly likely to challenge the guy who pays them.

But is that a reason to keep Jesse so long? Moz is almost 60 and neither he, Boz or Jesse look like they did 20 years ago. Keeping an incapable musician for such a reason is self sabotage.

No, it isn't. But the initial, impulsive decision to hire Jesse somehow developed in a permanent situation and we can only guess why that happened. The most obvious reason is that Jesse is the musician that Morrissey seems to feel closest to: they are both vegetarian / vegan, they both love wine and champagne, Jesse is available to go to concerts together. Another possible reason is that Jesse is seen to represent the Mexican community that has so generously supported Morrissey for so long. Jesse is good in this role. And finally, I would not be surprised if Morrissey just liked Jesse's guitar style, as he always had something with punk and tuneless sounds.

So keeping Jesse makes sense from his perspective. But for fan longing to hear a faithful rendition of Smiths tunes, Street compositions or even Pretenders songs, it can be very frustrating.

Songwriting? The Bullfighter Dies, People are the Same Everywhere, When You Open Your Legs, I Bury the Living and Kiss Me a Lot are among Morrissey's worst songs ever.

I think he hired him because he fancied him and didn't bother to check whether he could actually play. As the years have clocked up, what he lacks in musicality he more than compensates for in total obedience and arse-licking - that alone probably makes him indispensable. My own particular theory, though, is the main reason he keeps him on now is to spite everyone on Solo who bitches about him. In all seriousness, I can see that being a huge motivating factor.

It's either that, or as another poster suggested a few days ago, he's got a photo in a safe of Morrissey eating a burger.

I totally agree with the theory Peppermint :thumb:
It's all turned into a circus now, a complete joke. I've just watched that Playboy intro footage and it's beyond belief.
Maybe there's some kind of love triangle going on with Steve, Diesel and Jesse.

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

:sleeping:

MOZ IS BOSS

and that’s ALL that matters.

:cool:

Yep :rolleyes:
And he never wore a wool and cashmere cardigan. :laughing:
He never had cheese smuggled into his dressing room :laughing:
And we never heard those words come from his mouth in the Der Spiegel interview :laughing:

I've had enough of you already :clap: as always don't respond because I won't give you the benefit.

There's some nut jobs on here but you are always up there flying the highest keeping us all entertained.

Keep up the good work.

One of the definitions of celibate on Merriam Webster is "having or involving no sexual relations" so if he wasn't having sex as a result of being single, he was celibate. The word, of course has certain connotations and when you think of celibacy, you might think of a priest who deliberately abstains from sexual relations, so I agree that it might've been used for his image, but it applies yet.
Maybe Morrissey believes that people shouldn't have sex until they are married for moral and religious reasons. I got the feeling that Morrissey doesn't like swearing/cursing really at all. I don't think I have ever heard him use bad language. It is true that Catholic priests, monks and nuns are celibate.

Maybe Morrissey believes that people shouldn't have sex until they are married for moral and religious reasons. I got the feeling that Morrissey doesn't like swearing/cursing really at all. I don't think I have ever heard him use bad language. It is true that Catholic priests, monks and nuns are celibate.
So Moz is straight edge is what you're saying?

Skarmavbild-2016-09-30-kl.-13.43.53.jpg

So Moz is straight edge is what you're saying?

Skarmavbild-2016-09-30-kl.-13.43.53.jpg
Do you know if Morrissey is connected to the 'Straight Edge' movement? Straight edge is a subculture and subgenre of hardcore punk whose adherents refrain from using alcohol, tobacco, and other recreational/non-prescribed drugs. It was a direct reaction to the sexual revolution, hedonism, debauchery and excess associated with punk rock.

I was actually thinking more along the lines of Christianity and the morals and values which go along with being a Christian. For instance Catholic priests, monks and nuns are celibate. Morrissey was brought up as a Catholic. Having sex outside of marriage is called fornication. I don't personally like bad language/profanity.

I just don’t believe he cares that much any more. 35 years of this must blunt anyone’s absolutist product control. He knows the performance is good enough, and his charisma & voice carries the show. Tobias isn’t that bad - his recorded work is ok, just can't seem to nail it live. It’ll do.

By his own admission he has few friends, and I think the answer is more prosaic. He likes the cameraderie of a tour, trying new hotel suites and getting his meals done by catering. And touring provides cash flow, and money for recording.Jesse seems to be a stout friend on the same wavelength, a ready drinking partner in LA, and that’s about the size of it. The other band members all contribute music, so there’s no reason to rock the boat and endure the pain of all that goes with getting a new lead guitarist.

I totally agree with the theory Peppermint :thumb:
It's all turned into a circus now, a complete joke. I've just watched that Playboy intro footage and it's beyond belief.
Maybe there's some kind of love triangle going on with Steve, Diesel and Jesse.

Oddly enough, that has crossed my mind, Benny. They seem inseparable. And stranger things have been known.

I just don’t believe he cares that much any more. 35 years of this must blunt anyone’s absolutist product control. He knows the performance is good enough, and his charisma & voice carries the show. Tobias isn’t that bad - his recorded work is ok, just can't seem to nail it live. It’ll do.

By his own admission he has few friends, and I think the answer is more prosaic. He likes the cameraderie of a tour, trying new hotel suites and getting his meals done by catering. And touring provides cash flow, and money for recording.Jesse seems to be a stout friend on the same wavelength, a ready drinking partner in LA, and that’s about the size of it. The other band members all contribute music, so there’s no reason to rock the boat and endure the pain of all that goes with getting a new lead guitarist.
It is a plausible explanation. I think what frustrates many fans, though, is the ease with which he has dispensed with other far more talented musicians in the past, apparently without any 'pain' or difficulty of any kind. Ruthlessly, in fact.

Do you know if Morrissey is connected to the 'Straight Edge' movement? Straight edge is a subculture and subgenre of hardcore punk whose adherents refrain from using alcohol, tobacco, and other recreational/non-prescribed drugs. It was a direct reaction to the sexual revolution, hedonism, debauchery and excess associated with punk rock.

I shouldn't think so. Morrissey is a well-known lush and the odd cocaine rumour surfaces from time to time.

It is a plausible explanation. I think what frustrates many fans, though, is the ease with which he has dispensed with other far more talented musicians in the past, apparently without any 'pain' or difficulty of any kind. Ruthlessly, in fact.

It's easy to forget just how awful Alain Whyte often was, live. Remembering how he butchered Smiths songs like Is it Really So Strange back in the late 90s sends shivers down my spine. No Alain, it's not meant to be that strange! And although Alain wrote a few beauties over the years, think of a generic Morrissey chug-rock plodder between 95 and 2010, and Alain will have written the music.
Tobias has written some brilliant songs in recent times. Smiler With Knife is one of the most beautiful, nuanced compositions Morrissey has ever sung along to, and I'm not a Man is a wonderful piece of music. So subtle, melodic and layered. Even 'When You Open Your Legs' is a cracking tune but largely ruined by a stupid song title and dismal lyrics.
The people who slag off Tobias the most are generally the ones who know the least about music, pick up a couple of vague generic criticisms, and repeat them parrot fashion like a confused toddler. Idiots.

It's easy to forget just how awful Alain Whyte often was, live. Remembering how he butchered Smiths songs like Is it Really So Strange back in the late 90s sends shivers down my spine. No Alain, it's not meant to be that strange! And although Alain wrote a few beauties over the years, think of a generic Morrissey chug-rock plodder between 95 and 2010, and Alain will have written the music.
Tobias has written some brilliant songs in recent times. Smiler With Knife is one of the most beautiful, nuanced compositions Morrissey has ever sung along to, and I'm not a Man is a wonderful piece of music. So subtle, melodic and layered. Even 'When You Open Your Legs' is a cracking tune but largely ruined by a stupid song title and dismal lyrics.
The people who slag off Tobias the most are generally the ones who know the least about music, pick up a couple of vague generic criticisms, and repeat them parrot fashion like a confused toddler. Idiots.
Well, each to their own and all that, but I'm not sure there are many people who would describe Jesse's work as 'nuanced' or 'subtle', even among hardcore fans. And to suggest that people who don't like his playing simply don't understand music is to deny certain basic truths. The live renditions we've recently heard of Chain Gang and Playboys were embarrassing: out of tune, wrong notes, wrong rhythm, notes omitted, lacking fluency. That's not down to personal taste or lack of knowledge, it's indisputable fact. If you like him, great, but please don't insult the intelligence of the rest of us.

Last edited:
Beautiful, touching and thought-provoking words.

In ministering angel Jesse, in godbrother Solomon, in the Boz who always saves the day, and in our newly joined rescuer Gustavo Manzur, I, too, have blood-bubbas – clansmen long searched for. I shall be undressed, washed, laid out and buried by Jesse; Gustavo will catch me in any fall, bringing me back to the point I had started from – I had known him for a lifetime after our first five-minute meeting, and the dead are dead, and the heart warms. Whenever I meet Gustavo we both automatically laugh because we both know that sooner or later one or both of us will say something funny, and human energy rings a timeless hum. Loyal to the mugwump, the band prefer mischief to limelight, and although no major label will sign us, these years are ours, locked together, and I stream out of you, not a matter of whether but of when. Take it as it is. I am no more unhappy than anyone else, and most humans are wretched creatures – cursed by the sadness of being. The world created me and I am here – never realizing that I am in love until it gets me into trouble.[/QUOTE

Well, each to their own and all that, but I'm not sure there are many people who would describe Jesse's work as 'nuanced' or 'subtle', even among hardcore fans. And to suggest that people who don't like his playing simply don't understand music is to deny certain basic truths. The live renditions we've recently heard of Chain Gang and Playboys were embarrassing: out of tune, wrong notes, wrong rhythm, notes omitted, lacking fluency. That's not down to personal taste or lack of knowledge, it's indisputable fact. If you like him, great, but please don't insult the intelligence of the rest of us.

Couldn't agree more. I don't find Tobias compositions to be nearly as offensive as his guitar tone. Much of his songwriting contains decent numbers -- not poor, yet not really great either (except for "I Just Want To See The Boy Happy" and "People Are The Same Everywhere" which are cringe-worthy). And the fact that it took Jesse nearly ten years to come up with something as beautiful as "Smiler With Knife" whereas Alain was crafting beauties ("Seasick...", "We'll Let You Know") just months after the conclusion of Morrissey's first world tour in 1991 should explain it all.

Also, I don't see how Alain was "awful" live. Considering Jesse's butchering examples in this thread of "Back on the Chain Gang" and "The Last Of The Famous International Playboys" (not to mention him completely obliterating Alain's solos in "Reader Meet Author" and "You're The One For Me Fatty" over the years), the constant harp on Tobias has always been his live playing.

Couldn't agree more. I don't find Tobias compositions to be nearly as offensive as his guitar tone. Much of his songwriting contains decent numbers -- not poor, yet not really great either (except for "I Just Want To See The Boy Happy" and "People Are The Same Everywhere" which are cringe-worthy). And the fact that it took Jesse nearly ten years to come up with something as beautiful as "Smiler With Knife" whereas Alain was crafting beauties ("Seasick...", "We'll Let You Know") just months after the conclusion of Morrissey's first world tour in 1991 should explain it all.

Also, I don't see how Alain was "awful" live. Considering Jesse's butchering examples in this thread of "Back on the Chain Gang" and "The Last Of The Famous International Playboys" (not to mention him completely obliterating Alain's solos in "Reader Meet Author" and "You're The One For Me Fatty" over the years), the constant harp on Tobias has always been his live playing.
Well, I'm aware there are some people who think differently, but personally I loathe his live playing and most of his compositions (including Smiler). I just don't hear any artistry or creativity there - nothing that could even come close to 'Why Don't you Find out for Yourself', IBEH, Sunny, National Front Disco, Trouble Loves Me, Southpaw, Tomorrow, Used to be a Sweet Boy... on and on. But whatever, it's all just words anyway, since Moz seems determined to keep him there until he drops just to spite us all :lbf:

Alain improved greatly and wrote some Morrissey classics - enough so that his songs were used even after he'd been chucked from the band, which tells you something about Jesse. Whatever went on when he left and why Morrissey mocked him so harshly in Autobiography (which more or less portrays Alain as a blithering idiot who got lucky), I'd love to know.

Tags
back on the chain gang single

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom