"Low In High School" review by Wyndham Wallace (4/5 stars) in Classic Pop Mag, Long Live Vinyl

This news seems to have got lost/buried in another thread but it's pretty significant. It's the 4th proper published review of the album, and it's been given 4 stars. We now have a 2 star (edit, actually 5/10 so would be 2.5 stars), 3 star and two 4 star reviews.
This means that the first 2 star review is likely to be an outlier, and the album will probably do reasonably well, critically.
The review reads much like the other three. Really good music but pretty patchy lyrics ('graceless clunkers'). It singles out the 'vivid violin line' in Israel, and My Love is described as 'unquestionably thrilling heavy-footed glam stomp'. Jacky and All the Young People are not mentioned, and Girl from Tel Aviv is described as a 'tango'. Elsewhere in the mag, Spent the Day gets reviewed in the singles section. An 'absolute gem - scathing, poetic, droll, deep.'

Scan posted by an anonymous person (original post):

41145_lihs_classicpop.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I find it strange that every review so far hasn't mentioned all of the tracks. Maybe that's just how it's done these days but I miss those reviews when the reviewer would list all the songs and say a little bit about each one.

Elsewhere in the mag, Spent the Day gets reviewed in the singles section. An 'absolute gem - scathing, poetic, droll, deep.'

It's not an unpleasant little ditty, but any professional reviewer who describes the lyrics of 'Spent the Day in Bed' as 'poetic' or 'deep' needs to be immediately sectioned under the Mental Health Act and have their crayons taken away from them. It's about as deep as 'Doo Wah Diddy Diddy' by Manfred Mann.

It's not an unpleasant little ditty, but any professional reviewer who describes the lyrics of 'Spent the Day in Bed' as 'poetic' or 'deep' needs to be immediately sectioned under the Mental Health Act and have their crayons taken away from them. It's about as deep as 'Doo Wah Diddy Diddy' by Manfred Mann.

There's a playfulness to the music that lightens the track but make no mistake; Spent the Day in Bed is all of those things.

This is great to hear, who was it who gave the 2 star write-up? Lowest I saw was Uncut who gave 5/10 (2.5 stars).

This is great to hear, who was it who gave the 2 star write-up? Lowest I saw was Uncut who gave 5/10 (2.5 stars).

Whoops, my mistake. Yes, I meant that one. Forgot it was out of 10. So adjusting all the scores to be out of 10 we'd have a 5, a 6 and two 8s.

People might think it a clunker but the wrap you legs around line is hilarious and smile inducing. I do think him right about morrissey not having much of a vulnerable side to his songs and that older fans miss this

The wrap-up line might as well be a mantra for where my appreciation has evolved: sometimes he's still worth my time.

I find it strange that every review so far hasn't mentioned all of the tracks. Maybe that's just how it's done these days but I miss those reviews when the reviewer would list all the songs and say a little bit about each one.

Yep, me too. I'm also surprised that few of the reviews so far have mentioned 'All the young people'. It's such a fresh sounding Morrissey song, and a nice upbeat sentiment.

Last edited:
Long Live Vinyl: 8/10 [merged - condensed Classic Pop Magazine review]

It’s a glossy, relatively new UK mag with a smallish reviews section, but it does take music seriously (especially vinyl, hence the title) and is now sold in all supermarkets etc.

751CEF54-6EAB-447B-949D-C865D7253358.jpeg 36A5531A-8F88-40CE-BCF1-CCB75477207B.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
People might think it a clunker but the wrap you legs around line is hilarious and smile inducing. I do think him right about morrissey not having much of a vulnerable side to his songs and that older fans miss this

I think the same. He's quite funny. Art-Hounds has to be one of his funniest. I mean, he stuck a dick joke/insult in there! Twice! :)

"Art-hounds, very funny, very witty, but very lonely
And below the belt is shriveled and small
It functions only as a word
Art-hounds, very funny, very witty, but very lonely
It knows a thousand woes"

Morrissey and Matt Johnson, The two best songwriters of the 80s on the same page, in 2017 magazine!
Life is beautiful sometime...
Yesssss but..... what a wasted talent Matt is becoming. He hasn't done anything really substantial since Dusk. The soundtrack albums are ok but they're not the real The The. The new 3 disc The The album is another wasted opportunity with just one new original song.

Didn't realise The The had a new album, will have to check it out.
I would definitely listen to it first before committing to buying as it is fairly indulgent with just one actual new song on it. The rest is cover versions of The The songs and Matt reading a poem and other oddities.

I think the same. He's quite funny. Art-Hounds has to be one of his funniest. I mean, he stuck a dick joke/insult in there! Twice! :)

"Art-hounds, very funny, very witty, but very lonely
It functions only as a word
Art-hounds, very funny, very witty, but very lonely
It knows a thousand woes"
I think the lyrics to Art Hounds are excrementally crap, and on a par with the hellish 'Sweetie Pie'. The lyrics feel forced to me and don't fit the music. To me its like he couldn't be arsed to even switch his brain on for those songs.

Yesssss but..... what a wasted talent Matt is becoming. He hasn't done anything really substantial since Dusk. The soundtrack albums are ok but they're not the real The The. The new 3 disc The The album is another wasted opportunity with just one new original song.

But I think he's still a good guy...
Soul mining, infected and mind bomb, what a trilogy !

Tags
low in high school info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom