"Low In High School" reviews (NME, Spex, RUSHONROCK, theMusic.com.au, Quietus)

"Low In High School" review by Jordan Bassett (2 of 5 stars) - NME. Link posted by Ugly Devil (original post).
"Low In High School" review by Dennis Phol - Spex (German). Link posted by Sven68 (original post).

Morrissey makes fabulously eccentric return with Low In High School by Adam Keys (9/10) - RUSHONROCK. Link posted by Orson Swells (original post).

"Low In High School" review by Mac McNaughton (4 of 5 stars) - theMusic.com.au. Link posted by crawleyrocket (original post).

"Low In High School" review by Mr Agreeable - The Quietus. Link posted by Bluebirds (original post).

Related item:

Last edited:
I take it mr agreeable of the quietus didn't like the album,it was a f***ing hatchet job from the very first sentence.its sponsored by norman records,the same norman records who put out a tweet a fortnight ago saying the album was the most cancelled that week,big deal.harry the hatchet would be proud.

Last edited:
Bizarre - the three of them spent the whole 10 mins slagging off Moz and the album before one concluded by saying; "I really think this is the best Morrissey album in a very long time", and the woman chipped in; "I agree"!
Agreed. I found the whole thing very confusing and as with most of the written reviews, I'm none the wiser.

I just did a quick look and here's how they ranked all his albums.

Viva Hate 8/10
Bona Drag 8/10
Kill Uncle 8/10
Your Arsenal 7/10
Vauxhall and I 8/10
Southpaw (couldn't find it) probably a 5
Malajusted 6/10
Quarry 8/10
Ringleader 8/10
Years 8/10
World Peace 9/10
Low 4/10

These scores are either too high or too low. Very inconsistent.
well done ugly devil.good bit of detective work there.

I believe Mr.Agreeable is meant to be sweary and tinged with satire given most of his 'reviews'.
That said, David Stubbs has been part of Melody Maker, Vox, a couple of newspapers and.... NME (late 90's-early '00s). Which explains it all I guess.
Regards,
FWD.

I believe Mr.Agreeable is meant to be sweary and tinged with satire given most of his 'reviews'.
That said, David Stubbs has been part of Melody Maker, Vox, a couple of newspapers and.... NME (late 90's-early '00s). Which explains it all I guess.
Regards,
FWD.

Maybe his name gives it away.
Mr. Agreeable trying to sense the current climate, making his finger wet and sticking it up in the air, hey I am going to write against that millionaire celeb, people love that.
Opportunistic as so many lazy journo’s nowadays.

Well, at least Metro rated Low In High-School as high as the new album of Seal. :rolleyes:
Which gives an impression of their musical taste and opinion.
Yawn.

Can I be the first to say that I couldn't give a shit what anyone of these ahem, um... journalists thinks?

Can I be the first to say that I couldn't give a shit what anyone of these ahem, um... journalists thinks?

No need ! You're ahem . . . . . . . . A bot !
As far as you lot are concerned Low In Clown School will be the best thing since sliced cheese.
Won't be long now.

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

i wouldn't wipe my arse with the metro,no wonder its free.the only thing its good for is covering a pish stained seat so you can plank your arse down for your journey.
I don't mind a bad review because music is subjective but some of these are just people who don't agree with his politics.

NME aside, maybe the record is actually shite?

The record, it would seem, has some very good music but some pretty ropey lyrics (at least on some songs). If the lyrics are the be-all-and-end-all for you, you probably could indeed dismiss the record as shite. If you focus more on the music (and therefore won't cringe as much at the clunkers), it's probably a pretty enjoyable listen.

Maybe his name gives it away.
Mr. Agreeable trying to sense the current climate, making his finger wet and sticking it up in the air, hey I am going to write against that millionaire celeb, people love that.
Opportunistic as so many lazy journo’s nowadays.

Mr Agreeable is a spoof journalist who's been around for decades, and just swears angrily (and often quite amusingly) at various singers/bands.

The NME is embarrassingly bad now. What once was a respected music weekly has become a website nightmare of millennial nonsense and sleaze. There is literally no sense of order or logical content. It's as if it has been turned over to a class of 10 year olds to run.

Well the NME gave Miley and Kesha 4/5 so that kind of shows where they're at these days. It's edited by children, they seem to be obsessed with Stranger Things at the moment for some reason.

The "head on your lap" quote is out of context. It's more the evocation of a person looking for a rest on a friendly person (mother/lover). I hope its just a kind of parody review, otherwise, this person didn't understand a thing about this record. Jackie is about England not about a singer, you dumbass. It's a good record, maybe disturbing, it's not a record you can listen to while doing something else. Sometimes it itches, it may be noisy or rude and suddenly soft. A very good one - except the israel song that reminds me of the "sorrows will come...", it's a boring closer. Too bad, because the track order is perfect.

As somebody stated in other thread, 'Jacky' is Morrissey (like in Papa Jack).

I just did a quick look and here's how they ranked all his albums.

Viva Hate 8/10
Bona Drag 8/10
Kill Uncle 8/10
Your Arsenal 7/10
Vauxhall and I 8/10
Southpaw (couldn't find it) probably a 5
Malajusted 6/10
Quarry 8/10
Ringleader 8/10
Years 8/10
World Peace 9/10
Low 4/10

These scores are either too high or too low. Very inconsistent.
According to that, Kill Uncle is better than Your Arsenal and on a par with Viva Hate, whilst World Peace is his best solo album ever, so all a bit confusing.

I also think that you cannot judge a Morrissey album with a couple of listens, things grow on you. The little lad from the NME doesn't seem to be aware of the cryptic nature of Morrissey's lyrics reading his thoughts on Jacky, I'm still not 100% myself after say 50 listens. So Id say its almost a slanderous review from the NME. How dare you NME toddler!

Best song so far: With my head on your laptop.

Tags
low in high school info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom