Low In High School - Spanish version

The Seeker of Good Songs

Silly question, but in this Spanish version, is it just the texts that are in Spanish or the vocals as well?

1597241630917.png

1597241650064.png

Silly question, but in this Spanish version, is it just the texts that are in Spanish or the vocals as well?

View attachment 58332

View attachment 58333
It simply indicates what language you will find the liner notes in. It was a specific version and orange vinyl. Mporium sold it as such:
Regards,
FWD.

It simply indicates what language you will find the liner notes in. It was a specific version and orange vinyl. Mporium sold it as such:
Regards,
FWD.
From a seller site I follow, the price from the original on Mporium has doubled.

I'd love to know why it was called Low In High School & why it had Axe The Monarchy on the cover.

It fits Moz's worldview, but it doesn't seem particularly relevant to the songs.

I'd love to know why it was called Low In High School & why it had Axe The Monarchy on the cover.

It fits Moz's worldview, but it doesn't seem particularly relevant to the songs.
From this very short, rather vapid e-mail interview with Rolling Stone in 2017:

"Tell me about the album title. What was the thinking behind it?
My concern wanders to anyone feeling academically or spiritually low in high school… directionless or hopeless. Can young people ever be carefree again? It’s a question."

Didn't they say the album cover was last-minute and perhaps the name too...

The closest connection is 'all the young people'...? But yes it is strange.....it could have suited quite a powerful (controversial?) title, with some of the themes on there.

From this very short, rather vapid e-mail interview with Rolling Stone in 2017:

"Tell me about the album title. What was the thinking behind it?
My concern wanders to anyone feeling academically or spiritually low in high school… directionless or hopeless. Can young people ever be carefree again? It’s a question."

Thanks!

I can see where he was going, but it could have done with a song to tie it too.

At least the cover of the deluxe edition fit the title (although he probably wasn't in "high school" anymore, he looked young and "low" enough).

Thinking about other album titles, I fail to see how the title "Ringleader Of The Tormentors" reflected the lyrics of an album that was mostly about love.

Thanks!

I can see where he was going, but it could have done with a song to tie it too.
Maybe there was one but it didn't make it on the album. There was a song called Kill Uncle in 1990 but it got scrapped and yet he named the album after it.

At least the cover of the deluxe edition fit the title (although he probably wasn't in "high school" anymore, he looked young and "low" enough).

Thinking about other album titles, I fail to see how the title "Ringleader Of The Tormentors" reflected the lyrics of an album that was mostly about love.

Agree. I took it as a direct reference to himself - he's the ringleader, but then it could be someone tormenting him. It's not clear at all.

Agree. I took it as a direct reference to himself - he's the ringleader, but then it could be someone tormenting him. It's not clear at all.
No, he made it clear in interviews that it refers to himself. I just don't see the connection to the songs on that album in particular.

From Mozipedia:

"Quizzed by the press about the album title, Morrissey declared that he was the eponymous ringleader. ‘For many years, I was accused in England of being very negative and the way I sang was very depressing but suddenly in recent years in British music many younger groups were singing in a similar style to me and giving credit to me so I felt like I was leading something.’ Elsewhere, he’d refer to it as meaning ‘disturber of the peace’. ‘It doesn’t come naturally to me to endear myself to the public,’ he quipped. ‘In fact, if that was 1773, I probably would have been hanged and burned by now, which gives even more credence to the album title.’"

the cover was given to M by a graphics company,think most people thought it was his idea.

And regarding LIHS... who knows perhaps the juxtaposition of "low" and "high" just stuck with him after reading this? He loves a wordplay.

81zpltgCG+L.jpg

No, he made it clear in interviews that it refers to himself. I just don't see the connection to the songs on that album in particular.

From Mozipedia:

"Quizzed by the press about the album title, Morrissey declared that he was the eponymous ringleader. ‘For many years, I was accused in England of being very negative and the way I sang was very depressing but suddenly in recent years in British music many younger groups were singing in a similar style to me and giving credit to me so I felt like I was leading something.’ Elsewhere, he’d refer to it as meaning ‘disturber of the peace’. ‘It doesn’t come naturally to me to endear myself to the public,’ he quipped. ‘In fact, if that was 1773, I probably would have been hanged and burned by now, which gives even more credence to the album title.’"

He would definitely have been hanged & burned by now.

Again a song would have tied it in - it's a pain trying to sell something with a title that doesn't sum up the material.

It happens a lot in theatre because we usually start marketing a new play before it's been written.

the cover was given to M by a graphics company,think most people thought it was his idea.
The boy on the cover is Mando Lopez's son so there's some connection.

He would definitely have been hanged & burned by now.

Again a song would have tied it in - it's a pain trying to sell something with a title that doesn't sum up the material.

It happens a lot in theatre because we usually start marketing a new play before it's been written.
To be honest, his album titles never really made sense to a broader public.
Viva Hate was obvious, but Kill Uncle?
There was a lot of head scratching about Your Arsenal, vague explanation from his side for Vauxhall and I.
Southpaw Grammar at least tied in with the boxing imagery although the deeper meaning isn't as easy to decode.
Maladjusted was pretty obvious.
You Are The Quarry was catchy and self-explanatory.
Ringleader and Refusal seem no-brainers because they are very him but both don't really specifically fit the albums they're attached to.

World Peace Is None Of Your Business would have worked great for the collection of songs that ended up as Low In High School.

And I Am Not A Dog On A Chain is a good title but only reflects the topics of two, maybe three songs.

To be honest, his album titles never really made sense to a broader public.
Viva Hate was obvious, but Kill Uncle?
There was a lot of head scratching about Your Arsenal, vague explanation from his side for Vauxhall and I.
Southpaw Grammar at least tied in with the boxing imagery although the deeper meaning isn't as easy to decode.
Maladjusted was pretty obvious.
You Are The Quarry was catchy and self-explanatory.
Ringleader and Refusal seem no-brainers because they are very him but both don't really specifically fit the albums they're attached to.

World Peace Is None Of Your Business would have worked great for the collection of songs that ended up as Low In High School.

And I Am Not A Dog On A Chain is a good title but only reflects the topics of two, maybe three songs.
It's probably just like English class where you pore over each stanza in a famous poem to think what the poet meant, whereas actually they spent about 3 seconds on it and just wrote what came to mind.

The alliteration gives the impression of leaves crunching under foot.....

It's probably just like English class where you pore over each stanza in a famous poem to think what the poet meant, whereas actually they spent about 3 seconds on it and just wrote what came to mind.

The alliteration gives the impression of leaves crunching under foot.....
I do actually believe that's often true for Morrissey.

But I also think that he used to spend a lot of time crafting and brooding over some of the words he's written.

Back
Top Bottom