Low In High School: What do you think of it?

I think Israel is great. At first I didn't connect to the lyric too much, but then I began to see it as a sort of grandiose self-portrait. Replace the word Israel with Morrissey and it still basically makes sense. The overall feel may be a bit Shirley Bassey for some people's taste though.

Yeah, I think that's my problem with it. It's a bit too Eurovision for me, mind I do like to watch Eurovision.

I think Israel is great. At first I didn't connect to the lyric too much, but then I began to see it as a sort of grandiose self-portrait. Replace the word Israel with Morrissey and it still basically makes sense. The overall feel may be a bit Shirley Bassey for some people's taste though.
Exactly. This album is full of nuances. "Israel"/Morrissey is great/another example.

Nick is boring, thats why so many people like him. His Murder Ballades and Grinder Man were great but the is just so boring now. Its just drone over and over.
Yes. There is NOTHING in last Nick Cave album. Strange, considering great personal lost. But - just Nothing.
And listen this touching song from Morrissey.
The Arab Spring called us all The people win when the dictators fall I heard a bang and an almighty crack And I just want my face in your lap The people sing when the warlords all burn Do not feel sad, it's simply their turn They tried to wipe us clean off the map And I just want my face in your lap I just want my face in your lap I rescued you in so many ways You're good for a laugh, that's all you can say Summer is winter and winter prevails And I'm so tired of counting the days I'm so tired of counting the days The security force is always the worst Government advised, they're spraying our eyes They live to kill and they love just to harm And I'm dreaming of touching your arm

It's a very different sounding album to the last one to be fair. More akin to Years of Refusal but political. If you think that's shite then you're right to avoid.

Cheers. No, I didn't like Years of Refusal and his grasp of politics is pathetically shallow, so I'll continue to avoid. Mind you, it's not that difficult to avoid.

Cheers. No, I didn't like Years of Refusal and his grasp of politics is pathetically shallow, so I'll continue to avoid. Mind you, it's not that difficult to avoid.

It’s even less difficult to avoid the assumed politics of the album as they are non-existent imho.

Yeah, apart from all the (decidedly dodgy) politics.

I understand it does for you Sidnette, and for many others, no problem.

Just curious to know, is it because you detest the supposed politics or would you approve them if they were more to your likings?

Do you have a grudge against any politics at all in music or just because you don’t like the politics you are against?

In general I am not fond of music with a very strict ideological goal and meaning and the party politics it supports, but I would not restrict the freedom of the artist.

I like the songs the more I listen to them. The highest praise, I suppose, comes from my 17 year old who said, "I don't absolutely hate it." Which for any of my music is as close to an endorsement as one gets.

I love the vocal thrust at "...PUT the fear..."

:thumb:

yes, and one of the reasons why I like it, it's strange, larger than life and very moving. This album will be looked at as one of his best by all one day.

Quite a departure musically from his earlier work, but it's a good album. It would be refreshing (and probably profitable) if he collaborated with somebody outside of his band, bring in some new sounds.

:thumb:

yes, and one of the reasons why I like it, it's strange, larger than life and very moving. This album will be looked at as one of his best by all one day.

I agree with you once more Ket!
Couldn’t say it any better! :thumb:

Low In High School is Ace.

I friggin' love LIHS. I've never listened to one of his albums this much in one month. It's officially my number two studio album (after Vauxhall) and rising. I really think this might a masterpiece that was dropped in the wrong era. Or maybe it's the right album for this time? For me there's no skippable tracks. Yes, I still find a few lyrics lame by Moz standards ("If you're happy Jesus sends you straight to hell". Yeah, good theology Moz :rolleyes:. It's a cheap shot) but everything else about the record just clicks for me. Love the full, adventurous production, the subtle but potent melodies, many thought-provoking and unique lyrics and of course- the singing! It's been said ad nauseam but it's damn shame controversy has overshadowed this. If it wasn't for a few churlish, nonsensical lyrics it could be his masterpiece. Yeah, I went there.

Last edited:
Your p
I friggin' love LIHS. I've never listened to one of his albums this much in one month. It's officially my number two studio album (after Vauxhall) and rising. I really think this might a masterpiece that was dropped in the wrong era. Or maybe it's the right album for this time? For me there's no skippable tracks. Yes, I still find a few lyrics lame by Moz standards ("If you're happy Jesus sends you straight to hell". Yeah, good theology Moz :rolleyes:. It's a cheap shot) but everything else about the record just clicks for me. Love the full, adventurous production, the subtle but potent melodies, many thought-provoking and unique lyrics and of course- the singing! It's been said ad nauseam but it's damn shame controversy has overshadowed this. If it wasn't for a few churlish, nonsensical lyrics it could be his masterpiece. Yeah, I went there.
Vegan, I notice your profile pic is Freddie Mercury. Another great chanteur.

Your p

Vegan, I notice your profile pic is Freddie Mercury. Another great chanteur.

Well yeah he's my number one but Moz is climbing the list (Other singers I love are Ronnie James Dio, Marvin Gaye, Roy Orbison, Rob Halford, David Ruffin, Michael Jackson, Robin Zander and that's all I could recall at the moment)

You're not doing a very good job of avoiding.

Israel is growing on me. It's a sublime vocal. All the young ones still bores me. In your lap is still a bit meh... Who will...? is fantastic! The Girl... still doesn't excite me. The album is almost splendid. Some B sides would've been useful to switch out the few lame tracks.

Back
Top Bottom