Lyrical perfection or is it?

MOODYBLUE

BITTER,TWISTED,AND PROUD
Over 30 years ago,"the bard of stretford" included these 3 lines within one of his early masterpieces...
1.i am the son,and the heir,of a shyness that is criminally vulgar,i am the son and heir,of...nothing in particular.
2.there's a club if you'd like to go....you could meet somebody who really loves you...so you go,and you stand on your own....and you leave on your own....and you go home,and you cry,and you want to die.
3.and you say it's gonna happen now...well when exactly do you mean?...see iv'e already waited too long....and all my hope is gone.
In my humble opinion....it just does not get any better than that !!!!!!!
When i sit down and analyse the content of the vast majority of his early work,i feel he is on "another planet" lyrically.
Am i correct in my adulation ????
Over to my fellow members.....
Best wishes to each and everyone !!!
Keith.

Re: Lyrical perfection....or is it ???

Over 30 years ago,"the bard of stretford" included these 3 lines within one of his early masterpieces...
1.i am the son,and the heir,of a shyness that is criminally vulgar,i am the son and heir,of...nothing in particular.
2.there's a club if you'd like to go....you could meet somebody who really loves you...so you go,and you stand on your own....and you leave on your own....and you go home,and you cry,and you want to die.
3.and you say it's gonna happen now...well when exactly do you mean?...see iv'e already waited too long....and all my hope is gone.
In my humble opinion....it just does not get any better than that !!!!!!!
When i sit down and analyse the content of the vast majority of his early work,i feel he is on "another planet" lyrically.
Am i correct in my adulation ????
Over to my fellow members.....
Best wishes to each and everyone !!!
Keith.

they sure had a lot of style but its substance is kinda ambiguous to me at least which some will praise and some will not. i think this allows younger people to read themselves into the picture more so like they are wont to do and makes for a better musical experience for them. i do like that hes much more inferential/and direct at the same time in his lyrics these days. neil cassidy is fantastic in its lyrics and mimicking of historical beat style and t.v references as well as the challenge to ginsbergs ideas about life and ginsbergs own inner doubt about them. to me thats great and equal to anything hes done in the past. i tend to find more fault in the listener these days than the author.

They are great lyrics and are reflective of his age and disposition at the time of writing. His most recent output is just as prolific, i.e. Smiler With Knife or Oboe Concerto, just in a different way because he is in a different time and place now in his mind, life and soul.

To me, Morrissey was born in his prime and will die in his prime. It is always there.

- - - Updated - - -

they sure had a lot of style but its substance is kinda ambiguous to me at least which some will praise and some will not. i think this allows younger people to read themselves into the picture more so like they are wont to do and makes for a better musical experience for them. i do like that hes much more inferential/and direct at the same time in his lyrics these days. neil cassidy is fantastic in its lyrics and mimicking of historical beat style and t.v references as well as the challenge to ginsbergs ideas about life and ginsbergs own inner doubt about them. to me thats great and equal to anything hes done in the past. i tend to find more fault in the listener these days than the author.

"Reader, meet author..."

You are spot on ryan !!!!
I hold the early material in such high esteem,and feel such warmth towards songs like "how soon is now?" because in a decade of excess,and greed {well it was here in britain!!!!} it was so refreshing to hear profound meaningful lyrics.
To dinosaurs like me,who have seen the progress from day one,the early material will always have a special place in our hearts !!!!!
Best wishes mate !!!,
keith.

Last edited:
They are great lyrics and are reflective of his age and disposition at the time of writing. His most recent output is just as prolific, i.e. Smiler With Knife or Oboe Concerto, just in a different way because he is in a different time and place now in his mind, life and soul.

To me, Morrissey was born in his prime and will die in his prime. It is always there.

- - - Updated - - -

"Reader, meet author..."

agreed honey, i always know where to look for and find my moz unchanging.

also nicely phrased. "To me, Morrissey was born in his prime and will die in his prime. It is always there." i really like this line/lines

agreed honey, i always know where to look for and find my moz unchanging.

also nicely phrased. "To me, Morrissey was born in his prime and will die in his prime. It is always there." i really like this line/lines

Honey,
You know where to find me. Kicking away from the mundane everyday, tra
La lala la la...

Honey,
You know where to find me. Kicking away from the mundane everyday, tra
La lala la la...

for sure one of my favs. i love how the tempo is so even and constant throughout the song, even the solo. kicks in with a self assured shrug and just goes on confidently never rushing. it all seems to echo the songs sentiment

- - - Updated - - -

"Reader, meet author..."

to the update, fair enough

His lyrical ability used to be without match, but its definitely been on the slide in recent years. 'World Peace' contains some of his worst lyrics yet. How someone who style himself as 'the real poet laureate' can think clunky rhymes such as 'Egypt, Ukraine / so many people in pain', isn't teeth-grindingly awful is beyond me.

His lyrical ability used to be without match, but its definitely been on the slide in recent years. 'World Peace' contains some of his worst lyrics yet. How someone who style himself as 'the real poet laureate' can think clunky rhymes such as 'Egypt, Ukraine / so many people in pain', isn't teeth-grindingly awful is beyond me.

I like that lyric.

In fact there was an asshole driver on the road today and I said out loud "humans are not really very humane".

I like that lyric.

In fact there was an asshole driver on the road today and I said out loud "humans are not really very humane".

i do to because but its also got a giant hook behind it though so that helps. also felt nice and relevant to me. i also like all the irony in the lyrics to earth is. there are lots of ways to play with words without having lexicon of full of four syllable words. i like how soon is now but to me the lyrics to that song are just alright. it sounds like an uptight person wondering why they cant connect with people while there running around talking about themselves in an overly pompous manner which is probably why they have trouble connecting with people. its a clever fun lyric but it doesnt carry the emotional weight i usually like. it feels like, the lyric,, is made for someone much younger than i am now or was when i got into the smiths. says nothing to me about my life, sorry, though i appreciate its craft and the music is beyond belief in some spots.

I can't even recall if someone ever sang on English about Ukraine, it's my mom's homeland and I appreciate Morrissey made it.

'How Soon is Now'? doesn't carry enough emotional weight, but 'World Peace is None of Your Business' does?
Truly, we live in strange times.

'How Soon is Now'? doesn't carry enough emotional weight, but 'World Peace is None of Your Business' does?
Truly, we live in strange times.

"This is indeed a disturbing universe."

- Maggie from The Simpsons

As I've said before, it's hard to have inspiration when you are rich and spend your days sitting by the pool sipping gin. If he's in a relationship ( which I think he is),then he has even less to write about.

He tries by keeping up with the news and such, but that anger, despair and passion he had in the 80s is gone. It's not his fault.

Back
Top Bottom