"Maladjusted" recording sesssions (March 1997) - photo posted by Alex Black, assistant engineer

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my god, are you expressing some criticality here!? Ket, do you...not like Soutphaw!?

Not one of my favorites, even though there’s some really great songs on it. Least favorites being ‘reader meet’ ‘Boy racer’ & ‘The operation’.

Also don’t really care for the production on it and Maladjusted. The sound of these two compared to Vauxhall makes me think that Lillywhite may have been asleep at the mixing board.

Compared to Southpaw, Maladjusted is a little bit deeper, don’t know how else to explain it.

Not one of my favorites, even though there’s some really great songs on it. Least favorites being ‘reader meet’ ‘Boy racer’ & ‘The operation’.

Also don’t really care for the production on it and Maladjusted. The sound of these two compared to Vauxhall makes me think that Lillywhite may have been asleep at the mixing board.

Compared to Southpaw, Maladjusted is a little bit deeper, don’t know how else to explain it.
That's funny, I love "Reader" and think it's one of M's smartest songs. I always think I want to listen to "Boy Racer" but I lose interest halfway through. Nice video, though. "Operation" is whatever.

There's a weird inconsistency to Southpaw and Maladjusted in the way that they're produced. I think the songs "Southpaw" and "Maladjusted" are two of Morrissey's masterpieces and both sound perfect. Lush, wild, violent, complex. As for the rest, I think Morrissey was just a bit checked-out in the late-90s and these two albums suffer from a lack of ambition or sustained interest. I know he was sick during the sessions for Southpaw. A producer can only do so much. If the band says "it's done" then that's that.

That's funny, I love "Reader" and think it's one of M's smartest songs. I always think I want to listen to "Boy Racer" but I lose interest halfway through. Nice video, though. "Operation" is whatever.

There's a weird inconsistency to Southpaw and Maladjusted in the way that they're produced. I think the songs "Southpaw" and "Maladjusted" are two of Morrissey's masterpieces and both sound perfect. Lush, wild, violent, complex. As for the rest, I think Morrissey was just a bit checked-out in the late-90s and these two albums suffer from a lack of ambition or sustained interest. I know he was sick during the sessions for Southpaw. A producer can only do so much. If the band says "it's done" then that's that.

Agree that the songs Southpaw and especially Maladjusted are masterpieces. I still think the sound isn’t as good as it is on Vauxhall which is magical.

Vauxhall to Maladjusted, wasn’t this more or less the period of M meeting Jake and then breaking up with him?
I’m sure this had some effect on those records, and of course the unpleasant experience of the Joyce court case sessions.

Agree that the songs Southpaw and especially Maladjusted are masterpieces. I still think the sound isn’t as good as it is on Vauxhall which is magical.

Vauxhall to Maladjusted, wasn’t this more or less the period of M meeting Jake and then breaking up with him?
I’m sure this had some effect on those records, and of course the unpleasant experience of the Joyce court case sessions.
Vauxhall requires no explanation, it's the peak of all things Morrissey. We're fortunate enough that Lillywhite and the band retained their aesthetic focus to give us the "Sunny" and "Boxers" singles in that same vein.

But yeah, I think it's obvious that the breakup and the court case had a somewhat disastrous effect on Morrissey's output for many years that followed.

Vauxhall requires no explanation, it's the peak of all things Morrissey. We're fortunate enough that Lillywhite and the band retained their aesthetic focus to give us the "Sunny" and "Boxers" singles in that same vein.

But yeah, I think it's obvious that the breakup and the court case had a somewhat disastrous effect on Morrissey's output for many years that followed.

Wouldn’t say ‘disastrous’ but yes there was an effect.

Also, most sources say that Lillywhite
divorced Kirsty MacColl in 94 one said 95.

I’m thinking that Lillywhite’s divorce from Kirsty had a detrimental effect on the Southpaw and Maladjusted productions.

It’s true as you say that a producer can only do so much, but I do hear a difference in the overall sound on Southpaw and Maladjusted just not being as good as Vauxhall.

Just something else to take into consideration.

It’s true as you say that a producer can only do so much, but I do hear a difference in the overall sound on Southpaw and Maladjusted just not being as good as Vauxhall.
Oh absolutely, I just meant that if Morrissey was feeling unenthused and was content to say “it’s fine” just to be finished with the album (as he did with Kill Uncle), then the producer can’t do much more after that.

And by disastrous, I simply meant that the mood and creative thrust were deflated enough by the late-90s to facilitate the 7 years of studio wilderness to follow.

That's funny, I love "Reader" and think it's one of M's smartest songs.

I agree. I think it's the best song on Southpaw Grammar (an album I also love, except for the extremely dull opening track) and deserved of a spot on a Top 10 list of his solo career.

I agree. I think it's the best song on Southpaw Grammar (an album I also love, except for the extremely dull opening track) and deserved of a spot on a Top 10 list of his solo career.
I like the idea of the album being framed by two long, somewhat experimental tracks but I never listen to “Teachers.” My wife is from Helsinki though, so I do sing “to be Finnish would be a relief” at her from time to time.

I like the idea of the album being framed by two long, somewhat experimental tracks but I never listen to “Teachers.” My wife is from Helsinki though, so I do sing “to be Finnish would be a relief” at her from time to time.
'Teachers' is one of Moz's most powerful songs.

I like it just fine and it’s a cute reverse-take on “Headmaster Ritual” but I wouldn’t call it especially powerful. I’m sure you think it’s about black kids or something.
The violence of black kids would be an interesting subject for Moz to tackle on a future album definitely.

Maybe he should cover the trend of groups of young black men filming themselves beating lone white people and putting it up on the web for kicks. That would make an interesting topic for a song.

Last edited:
The extreme sadistic violence of black kids would be an interesting subject for Moz to tackle on a future album definitely.

Maybe he should cover the trend of young black men filming themselves beating lone white people and putting it up on the web for kicks. That would make an interesting topic for a song.
Morrissey hasn’t written anything interesting in over a decade, so I doubt that.

Morrissey hasn’t written anything interesting in over a decade, so I doubt that.
He should call his next LP 'White Lives are Beautiful' as an opposition to woke and a lyrical celebration of his birth country and its proud but dying culture.

To be honest I don't think anything Moz could come up with could ever pique your interest again.

Why? Because he committed the cardinal sin of expressing how he didn't like the way England was being taken over by foreigners - which is apparently some kind of anti-woke sin.

To be honest I don't think anything Moz could come up with could ever pique your interest again.

Why? Because he committed the cardinal sin of expressing how he didn't like the way England was being taken over by foreigners - which is apparently some kind of anti-woke sin.
Keep trying. I’m not “woke” and I lost interest in Morrissey’s new music long before he started whining about Muslims.

Last edited:
Keep trying. I’m not “woke” and I lost in Morrissey’s new music long before he started whining about Muslims.
Not woke?
“You are sleeping. You do not want to believe.”

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom