Manchester Apollo 23rd May, How Did It Go?

mbb321

Deano
Any news? The silence is deafening!!! I guess if something fresh happened then messages would be flying all over the place.

GOD.

before he did the encore, he said ''i'll see you again.. if it's up there, or down there, thanks for saving my life''

i don't know if it's a hint that it was his last gig in Manc, or not.. i hope not

Unlike one of the posters on the main page - tonight was a completely different gig to last night. Similar set list - but completely different gig.

Nowhere near as much anticipation in the crowd - I was in a similar position to last night (in the gods in the rear circle) - where last night everyone was up on their feet singing and dancing, tonight loads were sat down. The sound was appalling - I thought Boz wasn't plugged in for a few of the early numbers.

And then Moz's voice went. During (I think) Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself - his voice broke and he said "oh dear" - for the rest of the song he struggled to finish a line.

I was really worried that he'd walk off.

The next few songs were sung in a lower key.

Between one song he said something about nodules - something like "one here... and another" whilst he bent down pretending to pick things up.

Later on there was a song change (those who know more than I will be able to say what should have been played) but between songs the band were all given their guitars, but then hurriedly given alternate guitars to play the revised song.

His voice seemed to recover later - the Loop was fantastic. To his very core, Boz is a rockabilly and it showed for this song.

I missed "I'm ok by myself" because I tried, and failed, to buy a signed album :(

But the encore rocked. Moz thanked us all for saving his life! Nice touch for Jessie to have a Mexican flag draped on his amp. And Moz changed some of the words and started to sing lines from "Would you like to swing on a star"...

According to the sheets pinned up behind the bar, Moz was meant to be on until 10.50 - but it was all over by 10.30. Not sure what was removed from the set list to make it shorter.

All in all - very enjoyable gig, if a bit worrying in the middle - I'm off to bed now.

Dave

fantastic gig, even if I had to stand in line for a wee bit to get my hands on a signed vinyl, worth it I guess :)

Just glad I've been s lucky to hear seasick and WDYFOFY live tonight:thumb:

Matt

Dave2006 rightly points out that it was a shorter set tonight (9.15pm to 10.35pm), probably because Mister Morrissey seemed to be afflicted by some vocal gremlins.

As far as I can recollect, the only song that was performed tonight which wasn't played at last night's 50th birthday gig was Seasick, Yet Still Docked. Delighted to hear this one live at long last!

Setlist (from memory, so probably not in the correct order):

This Charming Man / Irish Blood, English Heart / Black Cloud / How Soon Is Now? / How Can Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel? / Girlfriend In A Coma / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Best Friend On The Payroll / Let Me Kiss You / Ask / Something Is Squeezing My Skull / One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell / Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself? / Seasick, Yet Still Docked / I Keep Mine Hidden / When Last I Spoke To Carol / Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others / The Loop / I'm OK By Myself / First Of The Gang To Die/Would You Like To Swing On A Star.

The printed setlist included Sorry Doesn't Help - I think that was the one song not sung. It also jokingly indicated that the encore would be Shaft.

This was a better gig than last night for me. I just felt there was more energy. And it seemed louder...?! The pit seemed more frenzied than last night too...it was far more hectic.

But these things are all a matter of perspective. Shame we didn't get BIRTHDAY tonight. Maybe it was too predictable...

:D

It was better than Liverpool thats for sure but unfortunately for me this tour is a shadow of former tours and going through the motions springs to mind.

I dont think we shall see SPM touring again after this year so get your tickets while you can for the Oct shows!

In previous years he has changed the set, added new songs halfway through and pretty much kept people guessing. This year has been very predictable! More than 60% of this years set was played on last years so called "greatest hits tour" - Despite him hardly playing any of his greatest hits!...Where was Suedehead, November, Interesting Drug, Speedway, Now my heart is full.

If he had played those 5 on this tour instead of How can anybody possibly know, Let me kiss you, Bores, Keep mine hidden and FOTGTD then surely more people would be saying wow instead of why!

This was a better gig than last night for me. I just felt there was more energy. And it seemed louder...?! The pit seemed more frenzied than last night too...it was far more hectic.

But these things are all a matter of perspective. Shame we didn't get BIRTHDAY tonight. Maybe it was too predictable...

:D

I too enjoyed Saturday's gig to Fridays.

Friday I was stood at the back of the standing (and only had consumed 2 pints:thumb:)
Tonight I had 4 pints and was in the middle to the side and it seemed completely different:guitar::guitar:

Swapped 'Seasick' for 'All you need is me'

Jukebox Jury

Still think Fridays was a much better show, although tonight was ace.

fantastic gig, even if I had to stand in line for a wee bit to get my hands on a signed vinyl, worth it I guess :)

Just glad I've been s lucky to hear seasick and WDYFOFY live tonight:thumb:

Matt

How am I only finding out about this signed vinyl now? :( I got one of the lithographs though, going to get it framed tomorrow

Was in the scrum for the turqoise shirt from I'm OK By Myself.After about 8 minutes, me and one other guy had it, so we ripped and torn it into two equal pieces. Bits had gone to toher people but we had the main chunk.
As soon as a iget my half, and this is when the lights are up, and im moving towards the exit, some woman pounces on it.. give her a few threads to get rid.. now the proud owner of an entire sleeve and cuff! :D

very happy with these two manchester gigs. a shake last night and a shirt tonight.

not bad!

Last edited:
You can add "I got my hand bitten" to that rant as well..

Own up. Who had the smelly feet?

Last night at the front right hand side it stunk to high heaven of sweaty old shoes. I couldn't see if Morrissey had the jossticks on stage last night, but by God we needed something. :sick:

there was a really huge, fat smelly guy near me who was edgeing over throughout the support shows and i knew he was going to try and muscle me out the way, and guess what! when our Moz came on he was all elbows and bashing into me, knobhead! His mate told him to calm down haha. aside from that, great night. But yeah it did smell a bit! haha.

He's cancelled Salisbury to try and save the London shows next week? I think so. But I'm still worried for them, 2 nights off when his voice is so delicate is probably not going to work. We're not having much luck in London are we?! I just can't see him doing 3 night in a row at Brixton. Why on earth does he attempt so many gigs?

I, too, have a bad feeling about Brixton.
I think Troxy is safe but - and though I hope I'm wrong - I am bracing myself for the cancellation of, at the very least, the third Brixton night (the Saturday). Especially it being his last UK date till autumn, any sign of illness and he'll sack it off to prepare for Europe.

He's obviously trying his best and I completely agree he should cancel rather than sing when his voice is shot/risk damaging it more, but the schedule he's chosen does seem to be rather gruelling. 5 London shows in one month (one already cancelled)... 2 at slightly bigger venue (2 nights Ali Pali?) would have sufficed.

Pray that his throat can hold.

Oh man I hope Brixton, esp. the 30th, isn't cancelled, it's gonna be my first time seeing him and I'm so excited.
However if he's still sick then there's nothing to be done except him resting up and cancelling :(.

Back
Top Bottom