Manchester Venues - try these..

B

Belle Vue

I know this was a thread below, but thought I'd start it again.

No one has mentioned Lancashire Cricket Ground, where Moz played the Move festival. It's an outdoor venue that holds 15,000 with half the pitch in use. This is big enough as against City's ground which would be 60,000 capacity and clearly too big.

Obvious contender is the Apollo (capacity around 3,000) then after that is the Academy (1,200 which is too small) and struggling after that. Bridgewater Hall and Lowry I hope not. Both would be ripped to pieces by fans!
Bring on the dates!!!!!!!

Belle Vue

Can't see him playing there again, only thing that supports it is that it was one of his favourite gigs from the last tour. You really could have tagged this onto mine.

> I know this was a thread below, but thought I'd start it again.

> No one has mentioned Lancashire Cricket Ground, where Moz played the Move
> festival. It's an outdoor venue that holds 15,000 with half the pitch in
> use. This is big enough as against City's ground which would be 60,000
> capacity and clearly too big.

> Obvious contender is the Apollo (capacity around 3,000) then after that is
> the Academy (1,200 which is too small) and struggling after that.
> Bridgewater Hall and Lowry I hope not. Both would be ripped to pieces by
> fans!
> Bring on the dates!!!!!!!

> Belle Vue

The Ritz!

I missed out the Ritz!
f***in' great venue, big and where The Smiths started and Morrissey played with The Nosebleeds.

COME ON AND PLAY THE RITZ MORRISSEY

Re: The Ritz!

> I missed out the Ritz!
> f***in' great venue, big and where The Smiths started and Morrissey played
> with The Nosebleeds.

> COME ON AND PLAY THE RITZ MORRISSEY

So you're in Manchester.
That is very good.
Makes tracking you down much easier.

Heard the gigs are meant to be "smaller and more intimate"... the Lowry was possible and the Bridgewater almost certain...

I think we can rule in...
The Arena, Apollo, Opera House and Palace Theatre... as probable venues, with The Ritz being an intersting option (I haven't been in for years)

To Rule Out...

Bridgewater Hall (Offers no stage security and is completely unsuitable. Moz has been, so should be well aware of this).

Lowry Theatre (I really can't see them let us Oinks knacker the upholstery can you?)

The Academy (Morrissey does not like playing at Student Unions, so playing his hometown University is a no no).

L.C.C.C, Old Trafford, City of Manchester Stadium (in March, in Manchester ??)

Other unlikely venues

Night and Day (a pub)
Royal Exchange (Moz in the Round?)
Library Theatre (Tiny)
Gmex (I don't think they do gig's these days. Besides, I remmember the boom when I saw The Smiths play. It was like a gig in a big can)
Royal Northern College of Music (more likely to do a gig in the swimming baths across Oxford Rd)

You can forget the MEN

I think its fairly obvious that the reason for doing 30 shows, including 4 in different Manchester venues, is to avoid the arenas that he played last December.

With that in mind, its safe to rule out the MEN, Old Trafford Cricket Ground and the City Of Manchester Stadium

Also remember Morrissey likes to play in unorthodox places ( Hartlepool, Paisley, Kalamazoo ), so a venue in MAnchester where bands don't generally play is a very distinct possibility.

Re: You can forget the MEN

The places may be "unorthodox", but the venues are not. So given that the place has been named (Manchester), that's not unorthodox is it?

I live in Manchester (have done for 36 years), where are these venues you mention?

Yes the M.E.N. Arena may be unlikely, but I wouldn't rule it out. Moz knows his appeal in these parts, so at least one of the shows will be a big one. Methinks?

> The places may be "unorthodox", but the venues are not. So given
> that the place has been named (Manchester), that's not unorthodox is it?

> I live in Manchester (have done for 36 years), where are these venues you
> mention?

> Yes the M.E.N. Arena may be unlikely, but I wouldn't rule it out. Moz
> knows his appeal in these parts, so at least one of the shows will be a
> big one. Methinks?

You know Manchester better than me,,,but Town Hall perhaps? There must be various civic type halls scattered around manchester, holding between 1500-2000 people.

In reality, no. The Town Hall, has "The Great Hall", that on very rare occasions hold gigs- low key! I saw Belle & Sebastian a few years back, but it only holds 200-300 at a guess. It's not that suitable either.

The Apollo, Palace and Opera House are have a shared administration. So I can see them all as likely venues. But with a total capacity of about 5,000 between them, an Arena date would make sense, to satisfy demand.

But it's all guessing. One thing I am sure about is that the booking agents are going to make an absolute killing from this!!

Men again

Sorry.

For Boy Barretr, read BREL.

I am using my other work computer- forgot to change name.
Found out!!!

Back
Top Bottom