Mark Morriss (Bluetones) discusses Morrissey/The Smiths

Mark Morriss discusses his career and Morrissey/The Smiths...

Some sort of truth – Mark Morriss - mildmanneredarmy

Excerpt:

Before “Britpop” became “Britpop” and before the arrival of lad culture turned the whole thing into a beer and cocaine soaked frenzy bands like The Bluetones and people like Mark Morriss were considered outsiders…indie for want of a better phrase. All of those bands and boys/girls loved Morrissey. It seemed like a missed opportunity to pay tribute to the Pope of Mope.

“They were an important band for all of us, except for Eds because he’s a drummer and the drums aren’t that exciting in The Smiths…usually they are there to keep time, not always, but most of the time.

Everything about The Smiths resonated with us, it was melodic, it felt old but new and there was this emotional depth and intelligence to the lyrics. It’s a cliche but they really did sound like they were singing to all of us.

For us it was that sense of beauty and delicacy. We didn’t get into a band to be able to say; “Look at the size of our huge swinging dicks”, we got into a band to create sweet, pretty little things and we’ve always been aware of our delicate nature in relation to our peers. We were a bunch of “frilly shirts” surrounded by Fred Perry. The Smiths were our benchmark, something for us to aspire to.”

At exactly that moment the sound of “This Charming Man” can be heard playing in the venue where Mark will be playing in a short while. It’s what Carl Jung would have called a “meaningful coincidence” as it helps to move the conversation directly onto what song by The Smiths he would have chosen to cover if he had been forced to pick one.

“I think it would have been “Death of a Disco Dancer”. It’s one of the rare Smiths songs where the drums come right to the front. That apocalyptic ending with the drums beating. It’s a song you could really explore, there’s room for expression.”

Given that view of Brexit I wonder what Mark makes of modern day Morrissey whose view of things is exactly the opposite?

“He exists…but he doesn’t exist in my world. I feel very sad about it and I try not to think about it too much. I pretend it’s not happening. He was on 6 Music the other day and I listened and I thought “He sounds good, he sounds powerful” and then he started talking rubbish! He needs to change his aesthetic.”

41029_837424_2_mark-morriss-the-bluetones_400126105438.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
“They were an important band for all of us, except for Eds because he’s a drummer and the drums aren’t that exciting in The Smiths…usually they are there to keep time, not always, but most of the time."

Ouch!!

“They were an important band for all of us, except for Eds because he’s a drummer and the drums aren’t that exciting in The Smiths…usually they are there to keep time, not always, but most of the time."

Ouch!!

Usually they use a drumcomputer for that.
But as I never heard anything from the Bluetones and can't be the judge of their drumsound, is it so much better?

Have seen Mark and The Bluetones live several times over the last couple of years, and both he and they have been excellent each and every time. I liked their music back in the day without being much of a fan, but rediscovering them in recent years, the songs completely stand up, and his solo stuff is really impressive. There's a couple of latterday Bluetones albums that had passed me by that are well worth digging out if you get the chance.

Plays a lot of really nice little venues, and always has time for the crowd afterwards. Seems to be one of those musicians who really seems to revel in a nice famous-but-now-not-too-famous kind of existence.

Have seen Mark and The Bluetones live several times over the last couple of years, and both he and they have been excellent each and every time. I liked their music back in the day without being much of a fan, but rediscovering them in recent years, the songs completely stand up, and his solo stuff is really impressive. There's a couple of latterday Bluetones albums that had passed me by that are well worth digging out if you get the chance.

Plays a lot of really nice little venues, and always has time for the crowd afterwards. Seems to be one of those musicians who really seems to revel in a nice famous-but-now-not-too-famous kind of existence.

Saw them with Sleeper back in August, they were pretty good.

Interesting last paragraph - exactly what I thought, was really enjoying the set and then he spouted shit.

Not really interesting, obvious in fact, Mark is exactly like Martin from Gene . A talented songwriter but a none pop star . The Bluetones, like Gene were an average indie band kept aloft by the Brit pop movement. Both bands make nice songs but add nothing new, say nothing new and are very much indie for indie sake.Making music that has nothing to say.. Its all very samey . Morrissey is a success , if you like him or not like him because of something more than simply being a singer in a band, Like Bowie Morrissey loves to sing but its all a tool for his spirit for a release of of inner ghost .
The marks and martins of the world are 10 and penny, people who make music and only music . Village types, where as Morrissey is world . Not always a nice one granted .

Not really interesting, obvious in fact, Mark is exactly like Martin from Gene . A talented songwriter but a none pop star . The Bluetones, like Gene were an average indie band kept aloft by the Brit pop movement. Both bands make nice songs but add nothing new, say nothing new and are very much indie for indie sake.Making music that has nothing to say.. Its all very samey . Morrissey is a success , if you like him or not like him because of something more than simply being a singer in a band, Like Bowie Morrissey loves to sing but its all a tool for his spirit for a release of of inner ghost .
The marks and martins of the world are 10 and penny, people who make music and only music . Village types, where as Morrissey is world . Not always a nice one granted .

Not sure how your comments relate to mine. All I said is that I agree with his comments regarding Morrissey talking shit at the BBC6 gig?

Lol!
Was a considerable fan of Bluetones' songwriting (and Gene's, though Rossiter's latter-day piety is horseshit.) But yeah, 100% agreement on sentiment.

Village types, where as Morrissey is world . Not always a nice one granted .

“He exists…but he doesn’t exist in my world. I feel very sad about it and I try not to think about it too much. I pretend it’s not happening. He was on 6 Music the other day and I listened and I thought “He sounds good, he sounds powerful” and then he started talking rubbish! He needs to change his aesthetic.”

This paragraph doesn't really make sense. It begins by saying Morrissey is dead to this bloke but ends with a clear indication he hopes for a sea-change in the 'aesthetic'. But Morrissey was trolling controversy during The Smiths era...

I love the bluetones and always have.
It seems when anyone has anything critical to say about ISLam and immigration it's rubbish. The bluetones and Gene made some beautiful songs with well written lyrics but they never really had much to actually say, so to speak. this isn't a bad thing on the whole. Most bands have very little to say and still have great songs.

Great praise goes to the journo for using the word indie again.

Never ever bothered with that band though.

Great praise goes to the journo for using the word indie again.

Never ever bothered with that band though.

Yeah, I can imagine many young people wondering about "indie".
You mean Indian? :confused:
Indian Moz? :squiffy:

Short for independent you daft c***!

LOL

Reply to them not you cause I hate to break it to ya, Gerrit, you are not young nor am I.

Brits believe this is young just cause they can take the wheelchair to the pub and whistle at talent exposing their wooden teeth.

Aztec, marry me!

Even with the oblique, but innocous, “Keep the Home Fires Burning”
(and its growling bear in front of a blurred out Halal shop) Bluetones caught some shit and were probably scared to death of saying anything that could be interpreted wrongly or in alternatives ways. Morrissey’s favourite space to be in!

I love the bluetones and always have.
It seems when anyone has anything critical to say about ISLam and immigration it's rubbish. The bluetones and Gene made some beautiful songs with well written lyrics but they never really had much to actually say, so to speak. this isn't a bad thing on the whole. Most bands have very little to say and still have great songs.

There isn't a The Bluetones album I don't like.

Living in Orange County and The Bluetones playing in Los Angeles, CA....

they are the only Britpop band I didn't get to see live. Had tickets for them in Boston but someone couldn't get a visa (or they didn't sell enough tickets).

The Adam Devlin (the guitar player) is incredible. For me it's Johnny Marr, then Bernard Butler took his place, then Adam showed up.

Songs are different as they cover different lyrical territory. Riff-wise, for intelligent English pop, no one can touch Adam.

The album "Learning to Fly" and the "Marblehead Johnson" single are a couple of my favorite recordings ever.

W.C.

I was not aware of any of that.

I also believe bands/singers should stay out of politics unless that is a way they wish to be defined.

Lots of managers/handlers reign in band members before they make it.

Can't knock anything on that first album though.

W.C.

Even with the oblique, but innocous, “Keep the Home Fires Burning”
(and its growling bear in front of a blurred out Halal shop) Bluetones caught some shit and were probably scared to death of saying anything that could be interpreted wrongly or in alternatives ways. Morrissey’s favourite space to be in!
And in todays insane triggered PC climate they wouldn't dare breathe a lyric in that direction.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom