Mark Morriss (Bluetones) discusses Morrissey/The Smiths

Mark Morriss discusses his career and Morrissey/The Smiths...

Some sort of truth – Mark Morriss - mildmanneredarmy

Excerpt:

Before “Britpop” became “Britpop” and before the arrival of lad culture turned the whole thing into a beer and cocaine soaked frenzy bands like The Bluetones and people like Mark Morriss were considered outsiders…indie for want of a better phrase. All of those bands and boys/girls loved Morrissey. It seemed like a missed opportunity to pay tribute to the Pope of Mope.

“They were an important band for all of us, except for Eds because he’s a drummer and the drums aren’t that exciting in The Smiths…usually they are there to keep time, not always, but most of the time.

Everything about The Smiths resonated with us, it was melodic, it felt old but new and there was this emotional depth and intelligence to the lyrics. It’s a cliche but they really did sound like they were singing to all of us.

For us it was that sense of beauty and delicacy. We didn’t get into a band to be able to say; “Look at the size of our huge swinging dicks”, we got into a band to create sweet, pretty little things and we’ve always been aware of our delicate nature in relation to our peers. We were a bunch of “frilly shirts” surrounded by Fred Perry. The Smiths were our benchmark, something for us to aspire to.”

At exactly that moment the sound of “This Charming Man” can be heard playing in the venue where Mark will be playing in a short while. It’s what Carl Jung would have called a “meaningful coincidence” as it helps to move the conversation directly onto what song by The Smiths he would have chosen to cover if he had been forced to pick one.

“I think it would have been “Death of a Disco Dancer”. It’s one of the rare Smiths songs where the drums come right to the front. That apocalyptic ending with the drums beating. It’s a song you could really explore, there’s room for expression.”

Given that view of Brexit I wonder what Mark makes of modern day Morrissey whose view of things is exactly the opposite?

“He exists…but he doesn’t exist in my world. I feel very sad about it and I try not to think about it too much. I pretend it’s not happening. He was on 6 Music the other day and I listened and I thought “He sounds good, he sounds powerful” and then he started talking rubbish! He needs to change his aesthetic.”

41029_837424_2_mark-morriss-the-bluetones_400126105438.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
There isn't a The Bluetones album I don't like.

Living in Orange County and The Bluetones playing in Los Angeles, CA....

they are the only Britpop band I didn't get to see live. Had tickets for them in Boston but someone couldn't get a visa (or they didn't sell enough tickets).

The Adam Devlin (the guitar player) is incredible. For me it's Johnny Marr, then Bernard Butler took his place, then Adam showed up.

Songs are different as they cover different lyrical territory. Riff-wise, for intelligent English pop, no one can touch Adam.

The album "Learning to Fly" and the "Marblehead Johnson" single are a couple of my favorite recordings ever.

W.C.
Agreed on Expecting to Fly and Marblehead Johnson. Pink Floyd's Learning to Fly may have jumped into your consciousness for a second :)

Carnt Be Trusted, The Fountainhead and Vampire are three of my faves form that album.

Firefly is another great track.

The drums on 'Death of a Disco Dancer' are great. But I think Joyce doesn't get enough credit for his work on other songs too. He was never just 'keeping time' but that's just my opinion. I think history has stepped over Joyce and indeed Rick Buckler from The Jam. They never get a mention.

Yeah, I can imagine many young people wondering about "indie".
You mean Indian? :confused:
Indian Moz? :squiffy:
It's amazing, isn't it. The kids don't know what 'indie' means, and someone here on Moz Solo mentioned that most teenagers/young 20's wouldn't know who Elvis was, or The Beatles. That's almost like me saying I've never heard of Mozart or Beethoven. Ok I might not sit down and listen to them but I am aware that they existed and have heard some of their compositions. I think there is a bit of laziness involved if people are only interested in current music. Surely natural curiosity should nudge people into looking back occasionally.

It's amazing, isn't it. The kids don't know what 'indie' means, and someone here on Moz Solo mentioned that most teenagers/young 20's wouldn't know who Elvis was, or The Beatles. That's almost like me saying I've never heard of Mozart or Beethoven. Ok I might not sit down and listen to them but I am aware that they existed and have heard some of their compositions. I think there is a bit of laziness involved if people are only interested in current music. Surely natural curiosity should nudge people into looking back occasionally.

A small point. I was the guy who said they wouldnt know Elvis but I do think they would know the Beatles. The Beatles songs have survived where Elvis has not. You might hear a Beatles song played on the radio now and then but not an Elvis one. His music has faded into history as far as being played anywhere but an oldies station or in some retro period movie. At best people might know him as the guy who danced weird and made some old people mad. The Beatles have a musical legacy that still influences music today where Elvis does not. He’ll they made a movie, across the universe, not to long ago that put Beatles songs front and center. I guess what I’m saying is that it’s not just old music it’s specifiaclly Elvis and his music that aren’t part of young people’s cultural world anymore and I would say haven’t been for a while now

Reply to them not you cause I hate to break it to ya, Gerrit, you are not young nor am I.

Brits believe this is young just cause they can take the wheelchair to the pub and whistle at talent exposing their wooden teeth.

Aztec, marry me!

Can you also explain to the young what independent means in this case? And how independent is independent?
No, forget it, we shouldn't make life any harder for them than it already is.

There isn't a The Bluetones album I don't like.

Living in Orange County and The Bluetones playing in Los Angeles, CA....

they are the only Britpop band I didn't get to see live. Had tickets for them in Boston but someone couldn't get a visa (or they didn't sell enough tickets).

The Adam Devlin (the guitar player) is incredible. For me it's Johnny Marr, then Bernard Butler took his place, then Adam showed up.

Songs are different as they cover different lyrical territory. Riff-wise, for intelligent English pop, no one can touch Adam.

The album "Learning to Fly" and the "Marblehead Johnson" single are a couple of my favorite recordings ever.

W.C.

Trying to produce a mental image of music fans in OC but all I see are these housewives and their luxury problems and all the arguing. Vicki Gunvalson jumping in her heels at the front row barrier.

I need to go lie down for a bit....

Just reformed after 20 years.

They're all making a comeback. Even Shed f***ing Seven. There's cash/pension to be made playing to 40-somethings who want to relive their Britpop youth. The irony being Britpop was never really edgy.

If Menswear reappear then the world has really gone mad.

They're all making a comeback. Even Shed f***ing Seven. There's cash/pension to be made playing to 40-somethings who want to relive their Britpop youth. The irony being Britpop was never really edgy.

If Menswear reappear then the world has really gone mad.

And why not, if there's a market for it. Sleeper made hardly anything back in the day due to a shitty deal. They have virtually sold out at Shepherd's Bush Empire, should gross 50k before costs/agents etc so nice earner for them.

They were great in Birmingham back in August.

And why not, if there's a market for it. Sleeper made hardly anything back in the day due to a shitty deal. They have virtually sold out at Shepherd's Bush Empire, should gross 50k before costs/agents etc so nice earner for them.

They were great in Birmingham back in August.

Because it was shit then and it's even shitter now! So much new music out there or even old music worth discovering than two-bit average Britpop shit. imo.

Because it was shit then and it's even shitter now! So much new music out there or even old music worth discovering than two-bit average Britpop shit. imo.

You haven't really answered the question, you have just given your opinion. If 2000 people are happy to part with £25 to watch a band and that band are prepared to rehearse and put the effort in to perform for those people, I'm struggling to see whats wrong with that?

I have to agree. Sleeper suck big time. Louise is from the Navel gazing faction of brit pop. What's next, Menswear getting back together?

The Bluetones, I have yet to hear a song of theirs I found even vaguely interesting. He is entitled to his opinion regarding the drumming on Smiths songs however he is completely wrong.

The Blu
Trying to produce a mental image of music fans in OC but all I see are these housewives and their luxury problems and all the arguing. Vicki Gunvalson jumping in her heels at the front row barrier.

I need to go lie down for a bit....
Yeah, I'd stick out like a sore thumb if I wasn't so inconspicuous.

I truly hope the vapours have passed and you are back on your feet.

Okay then. Maybe I missed something?

The 'The It Girl" album is pretty great.

Louise Wener wrote lyrics a la Morrissey watching a soap opera or life as a soap opera. She then wrote a few enjoyable fiction novels.

I really enjoyed this band.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom