Marr, 8th Oct 2015: "It's a shame The Smiths aren't on better terms (with each other)"

Re: Marr, 8th Oct 2015: "It's a shame The Smiths aren't on better terms [with each other]"

Johnny Marr was interviewed on Granada Reports (North West England news program) about his current tour and new live album.

http://www.itv.com/news/granada/2015-10-08/johnny-marr-i-only-get-nerves-in-manchester

He’s asked, of course, about reforming The Smiths. To the reporter's credit, he gives it more of a spin by asking if he’s jealous of similar acts reforming, such as The Stone Roses.

The question starts around 8:20 and ends with Marr saying…

"It's a shame The Smiths aren't on better terms [with each other], but that's bands for you…”

Seems like an olive branch of sorts. Interesting. It's a damn shame they can't just bury the hatchet after all these years.

is it a shame them not being friends or not reforming because i dont think its just a matter of getting along that would have them reform the smiths. if its just about friendship, the olive branch, then thats pretty cool but if its an olive branch to reuniting then it just seems like weve heard it before. as to reforming, moz just doesnt want to and johnny seems to want desire it. nothing wrong either way with eithers desire but friends or not its just not gonna happen. if you were there then lucky you, thats what makes it special. does he talk about his next solo album and what he wants to do with that. playland seemed different than the messenger and i wonder if the next one will be different still or as synthesis of the two. maybe hell start another band of equals but unknowns

At this stage in Morrisseys career if he ever wants to sign with a major label ever again he would have to have a reunion with Johnny for anyone to be interested in signing him.

Probably the best possible outcome would be a joint tour where they both play their solo stuff with their respective bands (which I am pretty sure they both are convinced is better than The Smiths) and than do a joint set together of Smiths stuff.

Though a reunion is probably more likely than that.

Re: Marr, 8th Oct 2015: "It's a shame The Smiths aren't on better terms [with each other]"

Yes, lets not forget there were long periods during Morrissey's early solo career when he was publically open to the idea of a reunion with Johnny. If you believe 'Autobiography' (and it's hard to know exactly how truthful Morrissey is being at any given moment), then the court case seems to have driven a very final nail into the coffin of the Smiths.

But never mind all this talk of 'reunions', I think all Johnny is talking about here is that it's a shame they don't even have a relationship anymore outside the band. Forget cash-in greatest hits tours, or the pipe-dream of Morrissey and Marr working on new material together - at this stage things are so dysfunctional they can't even work together in the way most defunct 'heritage' bands can, with Morrissey blocking the release of any unreleased archival material. I'd be happy for the two of them to finally bury the hatchet, focus on all the amazing things they achieved, and just have one photo of the pair of together them smiling with thumbs up at the camera. That would be enough for me.

But, alas, what it will probably take is Johnny getting run over by a bus before Morrissey suddenly realises it's all too late, changes his mind, and starts gushing praise.

I had the idea that the appearance of the Smiths "Unreleased Demos and Instrumentals" bootleg vinyl a couple of years back was Morrissey and Marr's way of releasing the archival material in such a way as to deprive undesirable parties ( i.e. definitely Joyce ; maybe record companies) of any royalties ?

It's hardly proof of intent but the apparent lack of legal action/disapproving comment , particularly by Morrissey , always struck me as a bit odd ...

Maybe he wanted a reunion at some point, but then it became clear that it was impossible. I can't even imagine a The Smiths reunion, it would be too weird. I like Morrissey's coherence because he went on with his own solo career instead of trying to reform the band that made him popular and of forcing things. If i have to be honest The Smiths ended because of Marr, so hearing from him statements like "it's a pity the ex-members aren't on better terms" is ridicolous...I read/saw interviews in which he shows rudeness towards Moz. I don't like it, so it's better for everyone to get over The Smiths reunion.

Exactly. He wants everyone to like him so he says what he thinks will achieve that at the time.

think you might wanna reread it. Nothing about having 'the whole world' at his 'beck and call' . The poster is writing about friendship.
And not all friendships are as you say 'gay'... some are quite bumpy affairs with much hardship.

It was an unfortunate usage of the word "gay" but the original post they were replying to was ridiculous. The original post with it's list of things that happened to Morrissey implied that Morrissey and Marr should be very close friends and that Marr should drop his guitar and run to Morrissey's side whenever he has a crisis in his life. That actually is more like what a marriage should be more than a friendship, and so, while I think they meant "gay" in the derogatory sense, where it might be "gay" to show any weakness or empathy, it is possible that they meant it as it is used to describe a homosexual relationship. It felt a little hand-wringingly overwrought.

Also, some friendships are gay with lots of hard bumping.

Yes, lets not forget there were long periods during Morrissey's early solo career when he was publically open to the idea of a reunion with Johnny. If you believe 'Autobiography' (and it's hard to know exactly how truthful Morrissey is being at any given moment), then the court case seems to have driven a very final nail into the coffin of the Smiths.

But never mind all this talk of 'reunions', I think all Johnny is talking about here is that it's a shame they don't even have a relationship anymore outside the band. Forget cash-in greatest hits tours, or the pipe-dream of Morrissey and Marr working on new material together - at this stage things are so dysfunctional they can't even work together in the way most defunct 'heritage' bands can, with Morrissey blocking the release of any unreleased archival material. I'd be happy for the two of them to finally bury the hatchet, focus on all the amazing things they achieved, and just have one photo of the pair of together them smiling with thumbs up at the camera. That would be enough for me.

But, alas, what it will probably take is Johnny getting run over by a bus before Morrissey suddenly realises it's all too late, changes his mind, and starts gushing praise.

I would have thought the same thing up until David Lee Roth took the stage with Eddie Van Halen to reform their band. Those two were the most dysfunctional of all time and if they can do it (and I have read reasonably good reviews of their recent concerts) than it is, at the extreme corners of the universe, a possibility. Not that I would ever expect Moz to take the stage with the Smiths ever again. I do think if inducted into the Hall of Fame they all would show up and accept the award without playing together.

A Van Halen reference on a Morrissey board? What's next...waistin' away in Margaritaville Sammy Hagar and Jimmy Buffet references? Anonymous-

It was an unfortunate usage of the word "gay" but the original post they were replying to was ridiculous. The original post with it's list of things that happened to Morrissey implied that Morrissey and Marr should be very close friends and that Marr should drop his guitar and run to Morrissey's side whenever he has a crisis in his life. That actually is more like what a marriage should be more than a friendship, and so, while I think they meant "gay" in the derogatory sense, where it might be "gay" to show any weakness or empathy, it is possible that they meant it as it is used to describe a homosexual relationship. It felt a little hand-wringingly overwrought.

Being in a band, I mean between the song writers... It CAN be very intense.. truer than marriage as far
as intimacy and an opening up of ones deeper elements... yes, the soul. And more intense in surrender than any mere sexual relationship. Most people will never experience this...Shame they will never know...Looking instead to social conventions and what IT offers as forms of 'promise,security,happiness' ... comes to naught in the end.

A Van Halen reference on a Morrissey board? What's next...waistin' away in Margaritaville Sammy Hagar and Jimmy Buffet references? Anonymous-

You shootin' for a job as a moderator AC? With all your Yankee cap, marinara sauce, Malibu Beach, Nancy Sinatra, bacon wrapped hot dog posts I don't think you stand a chance.

it was not meant in a derogatory or positive manner, it was meant to mean..... well, gay.
johnny is supposed to moz side when he has a bad hair day? cant find the right sized plastic shoe, johnny has to make the rounds until he finds a pair for him? the royals visit switzerland, johnny has to run over there and hold his hand? geez its kind of a wierd mindset, specially in view that moz doesn nothing for anyone but himself.
sounds kinda gay to me in the gay sense.
personally i dont care if moz has a bad hair day or not.

Being in a band, I mean between the song writers... It CAN be very intense.. truer than marriage as far
as intimacy and an opening up of ones deeper elements... yes, the soul. And more intense in surrender than any mere sexual relationship. Most people will never experience this...Shame they will never know...Looking instead to social conventions and what IT offers as forms of 'promise,security,happiness' ... comes to naught in the end.

you have that right most people will not experience this. gay dudes only. intense surrender LOL

it was not meant in a derogatory or positive manner, it was meant to mean..... well, gay.
johnny is supposed to moz side when he has a bad hair day? cant find the right sized plastic shoe, johnny has to make the rounds until he finds a pair for him? the royals visit switzerland, johnny has to run over there and hold his hand? geez its kind of a wierd mindset, specially in view that moz doesn nothing for anyone but himself.
sounds kinda gay to me in the gay sense.
personally i dont care if moz has a bad hair day or not.

why you such a homophobe ? (kidding,kind of). Bad hair or not... the whole world should be at M's beck and call. SERIOUSLY.

you have that right most people will not experience this. gay dudes only. intense surrender LOL

You might want to reread that. I'm TALKING about THE MAGIC BETWEEN... Oh never mind.

Anyways, I never mentioned any particular form of sexuality..Hetro/Metro/homo/Bonobo/OR.. Huma/sexuality. And it was not the point of my post.

SO..... 'Some people keep their brains between their ......' Do you find ?

i think wants to do away the queen so as to replace her with himself. all us would be his proper subjects buying him expensive shirts and jewelry. so he can guide us in our everyday life. LOL

I had the idea that the appearance of the Smiths "Unreleased Demos and Instrumentals" bootleg vinyl a couple of years back was Morrissey and Marr's way of releasing the archival material in such a way as to deprive undesirable parties ( i.e. definitely Joyce ; maybe record companies) of any royalties ?

It's hardly proof of intent but the apparent lack of legal action/disapproving comment , particularly by Morrissey , always struck me as a bit odd ...

Marr definitely tried to get an unreleased Smiths rarities box released a few years back (I think after completing the re-masters - or perhaps he initially tried to get the extra rarities on those re-issues?), but he stated that an un-named 'someone' blocked the release. Obviously Andy and Mike would love to release rarities and get a few quid, so obvious Moz was the blocker.

Possibly Joyce could have sold a few tapes on to get the bootleg album released, or Morrissey released the material out the backdoor to spite him and deprive him of sales.

I'm presuming that there is still plenty of unreleased material that hasn't yet leaked that could be released, but currently Morrissey's attitude seems to be very dismissive of the Smiths.

I love all these comments about not wanting the smiths to reform because of x , y and z.......

If the smiths got back together , walked out on stage and straight into a version of how soon is now that threw you off your feet , the last 30 plus years would be forgotten in a nano second.....

If MOZ isn't interested then I would love to see John , andy , mike and Craig touring.....I would give my right arm to see it.....

Oh and people , don't forget there has been two smiths splits......I was at wton in 88 and no one had a problem about the smiths reforming then so I don't see what the problem is now.

on a related matter, Marr's live double LP that was due out this past Friday Oct 9 has been pushed back to November.

Marr definitely tried to get an unreleased Smiths rarities box released a few years back (I think after completing the re-masters - or perhaps he initially tried to get the extra rarities on those re-issues?), but he stated that an un-named 'someone' blocked the release. Obviously Andy and Mike would love to release rarities and get a few quid, so obvious Moz was the blocker.

Possibly Joyce could have sold a few tapes on to get the bootleg album released, or Morrissey released the material out the backdoor to spite him and deprive him of sales.

I'm presuming that there is still plenty of unreleased material that hasn't yet leaked that could be released, but currently Morrissey's attitude seems to be very dismissive of the Smiths.

It was originally planned to release Smiths singles boxsets in 2 volumes, The Sound of the Smiths, remasters and seemingly quite extensive unreleased material - possibly a boxset and album re-releases with bonus discs. Morrissey and Marr were working together on this, but before anything was released Morrissey pulled out and tried to get his lawyers to put a stop to the whole thing. They weren't able to stop re-releases, which Warners had a clear legal right to put out, but it made releasing archive stuff impossible. The reason Morrissey did this is almost certainly that Warners received a writ instructing them to divert part of the proceeds of the project, along with proceeds from the Hollwood live DVD, in order to pay the money to Mike Joyce that Morrissey still owed at that time, and Warners had told Morrissey that, no, they weren't willing to just ignore it. The fact that Johnny continued to co-operate with Warners on what became the Complete boxset is the reason why he and Morrissey no longer talk.

Don't know who leaked the demos bootleg, but it was probably a rogue A&R person or collector rather than an ex-Smith. The release seems to form part of a series with the Morrissey demos LP and the Wolverhampton LP. There's no reason Johnny, Andy or Mike would have access to Morrissey solo rarities or be interested in getting them released. Morrissey, on the other hand, would probably not be interested in making the Wolverhampton gig public, given how it starts so badly.

Tags
johnny marr morrissey reform relationship the smiths

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom