Masterpieces?

• Thread starter Deleted member 29227
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 29227

Just wondering what Morrissey solo tracks you would consider as 'masterpieces'?
I have a few in mind, which are:

• Life Is A Pigsty
  • Southpaw
  • Speedway

Now My Heart is Full
Speedway
Maladjusted
Come Back to Camden
Never Played Symphonies (why this got buried on a b-side I will never understand)
Israel
I would almost put Hurling Days on there but it still feels too new to qualify

I'd add:
Jack the Ripper
Nobody Loves Us

Lyrically, Maladjusted is a high watermark. The flowing phraseology is something that I think only Morrissey at his peak can do. He brings all the melody to the song; it truly is a masterpiece.

Pigsty
Late night
Maladjusted
Yes I am blind
Now my heart is full
He knows I’d love to see him
Ripper
Whatever happens I love you
The more you ignore me
Nobody loves us
Disappointed
We’ll let you know
I know it’s gonna happen
Spring-heeled Jim
Jim falls

Now My Heart is Full
Speedway
Maladjusted
Come Back to Camden
Never Played Symphonies (why this got buried on a b-side I will never understand)
Israel
I would almost put Hurling Days on there but it still feels too new to qualify

I think Hurling would fit 'masterpiece', but too young to be 'classic'.

I'd add:
Jack the Ripper
Nobody Loves Us

Lyrically, Maladjusted is a high watermark. The flowing phraseology is something that I think only Morrissey at his peak can do. He brings all the melody to the song; it truly is a masterpiece.
JTR definitely.

I think Hurling would fit 'masterpiece', but too young to be 'classic'.
I like it a lot, but don't feel I can view it objectively yet, in the context of everything else. The test for me will be how I feel about it in a couple of years.

I like it a lot, but don't feel I can view it objectively yet, in the context of everything else. The test for me will be how I feel about it in a couple of years.
I think we'd need a decision quicker than that Pep...this site might not exist in 2 yrs time.

Pigsty is the one, isn't it?
As time passes, it's stock rises. I feel like it could become the one song that defines his career. From The Smiths and throughout the solo years, it distills his entire outlook/worldview. His oeuvre, if you will.
It was really interesting to hear Alain talk about it on Julie Hamill's podcast, he didn't feel that comfortable discussing it, almost as if he doesn't want to break the spell. That, or the crushing NDA that may be coming his way if he did! ;)

Pigsty is the one, isn't it?
As time passes, it's stock rises. I feel like it could become the one song that defines his career. From The Smiths and throughout the solo years, it distills his entire outlook/worldview. His oeuvre, if you will.
It was really interesting to hear Alain talk about it on Julie Hamill's podcast, he didn't feel that comfortable discussing it, almost as if he doesn't want to break the spell. That, or the crushing NDA that may be coming his way if he did! ;)
Yep, Pigsty was my very first thought when I opened this thread. True masterpiece.
Some of the other tunes mentioned are superb, but maybe just short of a 'masterpiece' tag.

Late Night, Maudlin Street
Seasick, Yet Still Docked
Now My Heart Is Full
Speedway
Southpaw
Maladjusted
Come Back To Camden
Life Is A Pigsty

Back
Top Bottom