Megaupload closed.

Walter Ego

Not Banned
File sharing site Megaupload has been shut down. Employees may face prosecution. It's not looking good for file sharers at the moment.

Yes, I found out literally 5 minutes ago. I feel sorry for the guy who posted all the Smiths bootlegs through Megaupload! It looks like the FBI are slowly going to close down these big file sharing companies. One by one, they will fall.

Well, say goodbye to Rapidshare and Mediafire, I doubt they'll be around for much longer.
This is the start of a long painful process for even perfectly legal file sharers.
After the small sites are gone, I bet you that the torrents will be wiped off also.

Well Done to Anonymous for closing down Universal Music and the rest of the sites you've put out of action for the time being! :D

I love it how the FBI site was shut down for a couple of hours, hopefully more will come.

try RIAA

Well, say goodbye to Rapidshare and Mediafire, I doubt they'll be around for much longer.
This is the start of a long painful process for even perfectly legal file sharers.
After the small sites are gone, I bet you that the torrents will be wiped off also.

Bulls**t, FBI can do it only in US. Megaupload was from US.
Better question for us: Drifter, what about the stuff from your site?

Bulls**t, FBI can do it only in US. Megaupload was from US

Have you even read my thread in the off topic section?? Richard O’Dwyer isn't from the US....He's from the UK and the American authorities are having him especially shipped to the US to TRAIL and sentence him. If the FBI wanted to shut them sites down tomorrow, they could!

Cudos to who ever shut the sites down, I'm all for buying music etc but this isn't about that. Keep shutting the sites down, information should always be free.

I've used megaupload a lot for downloading all sorts of music, I still buy lots of music - the download is almost a try-before-you-buy in my mind, if I like it I buy it, if I don't then I delete - the industry hasn't lost a penny out of my use of such sites.

I think half of the reason for 'the man' to try to shut them down isn't a fear of copyright infringement, but a look at the advertising revenue they are loosing - I had no idea than Megaupload was the 13th most visited website in the world, all those adverts for Russian brides and miracle slimming cures most bring in a lot of revenue... the man just wants his share.

Dave

It looks like the FBI are slowly going to close down these big file sharing companies. One by one, they will fall.

not necessarily.

The problem with these f***ing idiots is that they fail to learn from history, so they're just doomed to repeat it

It's like the War on Drugs: they'll waste all this time and money trying to stop an enterprise that simply cannot be stopped. They'll smother the fire temporarily by knocking down the obvious offenders like Megaupload, Rapidshare and Mediafire, but at the same time fan the flames of a fire they cannot control because they'll just piss people off and people will find new and clever ways to share whatever media they wish

technology doesn't sleep. Record companies and federal agencies keep trying to stamp out the problem instead of trying to work with the general public and understand why all this sharing of media is going on

A decade ago, Napster and Limewire were just catalysts for something much bigger. By the time they put an end to those, nobody was even using them anymore. It will be the same thing here, because they bullheadedly resort to "old-fashioned" values and principles that nobody is going for in the present day

Bulls**t, FBI can do it only in US.

Not strictly, unfortunately. Have your read the stuff regarding SOPA and the 'blackout' of sites like Wikipedia, Google, etc a few days ago? The internet honeymoon may be over and if we let politicians and lobbyists get their way, we may be headed towards serious censorship and control of information.

Back
Top Bottom