Meltdown/That dude, James Maker, who's now on Moz's label with a single, was part of Raymonde

L

LoafingOaf

I didn't know that. I was wondering who James Maker is.

Anyway, I'm sure you've all seen this, but here's the Meltdown press release...........(I sure wich I could go to this...I hope those that do will give full reports...and head's up: Moz is gonna introduce Sparks).

>>>>>
For release: 27 April 2004
The South Bank Centre presents

MORRISSEY’S MELTDOWN

11 – 27 June 2004
South Bank Centre, London

- Artists and Events Confirmed so far -

With much of the line-up now confirmed for MORRISSEY’S MELTDOWN at London’s South Bank Centre from 11 – 27 June 2004, eclectic highlights include: 70’s glam-punk-rock from THE NEW YORK DOLLS; Northern wit and observation from ALAN BENNETT; dazzling, diva glamour with LYPSINKA; sexy, sassy pop from NANCY SINATRA; caustic caricature from ENNIO MARCHETTO; and contemporary classical music with GÓRECKI’S Symphony No. 3 (Symphony of Sorrowful Songs), performed by the LONDON SINFONIETTA.

This year, following in the footsteps of DAVID BOWIE, SCOTT WALKER, NICK CAVE and JOHN PEEL, the South Bank Centre’s twelfth MELTDOWN is curated by MORRISSEY, one of music’s most enigmatic and influential figures. As Artistic Director he has conceived a programme that reflects his idiosyncratic tastes, acknowledging some of the music and words that have excited him over the years.

MORRISSEY performs three concerts himself, opening the festival on 11 June, as well as performing on 25 and 26 June, each night featuring very special guests, including; THE LIBERTINES, ORDINARY BOYS, COCKNEY REJECTS and LINDER (dates for each to be announced soon).

The three surviving members of the Director’s adored NEW YORK DOLLS reward one of their greatest fans by accepting his invitation to reform for a special reunion on 18 June, with support from JAMES MAKER of Manchester band RAYMONDE, with NOKO 440. Getting festival-goers in the mood for this historic event, two nights earlier, THE FILMS OF BOB GRUEN features never-before-screened The New York Dolls Documentary, as well as Lipstick Killers, originally used as an introduction for the notorious 1974 St Valentine’s Day show, plus Live at Max’s ’76, featuring rock’s most infamous transsexual performer, JAYNE COUNTY, as well as BLONDIE and PATTI SMITH.

According to legend, MORRISSEY once declared himself able to retire happy because he’d taken tea with ALAN BENNETT. The legendary dramatist and performer returns the compliment by reading from his work, sharing anecdotes and taking questions on 17 June. There’s more theatrical wit on 13 June in a special one-off Meltdown event titled WE ARE ALL IN THE GUTTER - AN EVENING WITH MR WILDE. Director and author NEIL BARTLETT assembles a distinctive line-up of performers to read an especially devised collage of words drawn from the darker and stranger byways of the Oscar Wilde canon. Readers (subject to their availability) include WILL SELF, JOHN QUENTIN and ROBERTA TAYLOR.

Similarly wry humour, as well as plenty of intimate introspection, comes from veteran troubadour LOUDON WAINWRIGHT III on 15 June, with support from the powerful Irish songwriter DAMIEN DEMPSEY, currently earning great acclaim for his devastating political songs.

The Meltdown Director is also on hand on 12 June to introduce the legendary SPARKS, whose imaginative drive throughout a career spanning three decades has seen them turn every pop convention on its head. For a one-off Meltdown-only show, the brothers perform their phenomenally successful 1974 album Kimono My House and 2004’s critically acclaimed Lil’ Beethoven, both in their entirety.

Amongst the women MORRISSEY is gathering for his party is another of Britain’s favourite ex-pats, the iconic JANE BIRKIN. Forever famous for Je t’aime, moi non plus, she presents Arabesque, her reinterpretation of the songs chansonnier SERGE GAINSBOURG created for her, here within a North African musical setting. In an inspired pairing, punky reggae is also on the bill that night, when ARI UP, vocalist of arguably the most significant female punk rock band of the late 70’s, plays the music of THE SLITS. Another who was literally kicking doors open for women in rock and pop a decade earlier, NANCY SINATRA, is also a highlight of the festival on 20 June, with the promise of a new song, Let Me Kiss You, penned for her by the Meltdown Director himself.

Icons of popular culture are mercilessly parodied by Italian master clown and caricaturist ENNIO MARCHETTO from 17–19 June. Everyone from Celine Dion to Eminem, Pavarotti to Dolly Parton make appearances in his wickedly funny shows featuring a whirlwind of amazing paper costumes and split-second changes. On 23 and 24 June, U.S. glamour goddess LYPSINKA, the hilarious creation of John Epperson, confounds audiences by capturing the very essence of the dames and divas whose voices she seems to channel. Sashaying with near-military precision through a soundtrack drawing on films, musical and concert recordings, LYPSINKA! THE BOX SET (presented by MORRISSEY), is a funny, fascinating and unsettling tour de force.

Also as part of MORRISSEY’S MELTDOWN, hundreds of 9-18 year-olds will create programmes, play music and record material on-site at the Royal Festival Hall as part of CPR FM, a community radio station that, in addition to offering participants practical experience of working in radio, directly responds to and interacts with the festival. The station broadcasts on 101.4FM for twelve hours daily (21 - 27 June) within a 7 mile radius of the South Bank Centre.

Bringing the festival to a close is HENRYK GÓRECKI’S Symphony No. 3 (Symphony of Sorrowful Songs), featuring soprano YVONNE KENNY, plus ARVO PÄRT’S Tabula Rasa, performed by cutting-edge contemporary music ensemble, the LONDON SINFONIETTA, Associate Artists at the South Bank Centre.

For further press information please contact Tim McKeough at the South Bank Centre press office on 020 7921 0632 or email [email protected]

MORRISSEY’S MELTDOWN IS SUPPORTED BY TIME OUT & XFM.

MORRISSEY’S MELTDOWN Listings Details:
Friday 11 June at 8.00pm, Royal Festival Hall Tickets tba
MORRISSEY
(+ Friday 25 June + Saturday 26 June)
each night featuring special guests including THE LIBERTINES, ORDINARY BOYS, COCKNEY REJECTS and LINDER (dates for each to be announced soon).

Saturday 12 June at 8.00pm, Royal Festival Hall. Tickets £17.50 - £25
SPARKS perform 'Kimono My House' and 'Lil' Beethoven' (Introduced by MORRISSEY)

Sunday 13 June at 8.00pm, Queen Elizabeth Hall. Tickets £15 - £17.50
WE ARE ALL IN THE GUTTER. AN EVENING WITH MR WILDE
Devised and directed by NEIL BARTLETT.

Tuesday 15 June at 7.45pm, Queen Elizabeth Hall. Tickets £17.50 - £20
LOUDON WAINWRIGHT III
Support: DAMIEN DEMSPEY

Wednesday 16 June at 7.45pm, Queen Elizabeth Hall. Tickets £8
THE FILMS OF BOB GRUEN

Thursday 17 June at 7.30pm, Queen Elizabeth Hall. Tickets £9 (Conc £6.50)
AN AUDIENCE WITH ALAN BENNETT

Thursday 17 June at 7.30pm, Purcell Room. Tickets £15
ENNIO MARCHETTO
Directed and designed by ENNIO MARCHETTO and SOSTHEN HENNEKAM
(+ Friday 18 June + Saturday 19 June)

Friday 18 June at 8.00pm, Royal Festival Hall. Tickets £22.50 - £25
THE NEW YORK DOLLS
Support: JAMES MAKER with NOKO 440

Friday 18 June at 7.45pm, Purcell Room. Tickets £15
ENNIO MARCHETTO

Saturday 19 June at 8.00pm, Royal Festival Hall. Tickets £17.50 - £25
JANE BIRKIN Arabesque
ARI UP plays the music of THE SLITS
plus JAMES MAKER with NOKO 440

Saturday 19 June at 7.45pm, Purcell Room. Tickets £15
ENNIO MARCHETTO

Sunday 20 June at 7.45pm, Royal Festival Hall. Tickets £17.50 - £25
NANCY SINATRA

Wednesday 23 June at 8.00pm, Queen Elizabeth Hall. Tickets £17.50 - £20
LYPSINKA! THE BOXED SET (presented by MORRISSEY)

Thursday 24 June at 8.00pm, Queen Elizabeth Hall. Tickets £17.50 - £20
LYPSINKA! THE BOXED SET (presented by MORRISSEY)

Friday 25 June at 8.00pm, Royal Festival Hall. Tickets tba
MORRISSEY

Saturday 26 June at 8.00pm, Royal Festival Hall. Tickets tba
MORRISSEY

Sunday 27 June at 7.45pm, Royal Festival Hall. Tickets £12 - £21
GÓRECKI’S SYMPHONY No. 3 (SYMPHONY OF SORROWFUL SONGS) feat. YVONNE KENNY
Plus ARVO PÄRT’s TABULA RASA performed by the LONDON SINFONIETTA

Tickets: 08703 808 300 www.rfh.org.uk/meltdown

Meltdown Golden Pass:

For the first Meltdown ever, SBC have introduced a Golden Pass for Meltdown. Costing £275, the pass will allow admission to all MORRISSEY’S MELTDOWN events* as confirmed on Friday 23 April. Only 100 Golden Passes will be available. They go on sale 2pm Thursday 29 April and are available from the SBC Box Office on 0870 163 3899. The Golden Pass is not available online. (* except Ennio Marchetto)

Booking Details:

Tickets for MORRISSEY’S MELTDOWN go on sale 9am Friday 30 April from SBC Box Office on 08703 808 300 and also from www.rfh.org.uk/meltdown Restrictions on ticket purchases may apply.

Editors Notes:

· The South Bank Centre (SBC) each year presents nearly 1,000 paid performances of music, dance, literature and other events and more than 300 free foyer events in the Royal Festival Hall, Queen Elizabeth Hall and Purcell Room. Up to six major art exhibitions are presented at the Hayward Gallery as well as National Touring Exhibitions in more than 100 venues around the country. The South Bank Centre annually attracts more than 3 million visitors. The general box office number is 08703 800 400.
· CPR FM is part of a five year education initiative funded by the Paul Hamlyn Foundation
· You Are The Quarry, Morrissey’s first album for seven years is released by Attack! Records, through Sanctuary on May 17th 2004.
· Previous Meltdown Directors are Lee ‘Scratch’ Perry (2003), David Bowie (2002), Robert Wyatt (2001), Scott Walker (2000), Nick Cave (1999), John Peel (1998), Laurie Anderson (1997), Magnus Lindberg (1996), Elvis Costello (1995), Louis Andriessen (1994) and George Benjamin (1993).

Oh wow, I'm even more ignorant than I thought

So James Maker was a dancer with The Smiths at their first gig? I did not know....

no sign of Elton John

no sign of Elton John doing a few Jobriath songs, even though Morrissey did speak on that issue in the Swedish interview over on the main page. I guess Elton heard about the head and the platter!

50 Cent is the greatest artist of our time

> no sign of Elton John doing a few Jobriath songs, even though Morrissey
> did speak on that issue in the Swedish interview over on the main page. I
> guess Elton heard about the head and the platter!

Yeah, but it does say more artists may be added.

I liked some of what Morrissey said in that Swedish interview, btw. REVENGE! ...is so sweet. = )