Mephedrone

Your job sounds scary, and I'm glad there's people who will do it. I will guarantee you that you get more trouble from drunks than druggies though, and I know that's the truth. Alcohol= aggressive. I remember I used to physically fight with this girl in town when I was 16- one night I took E and ended up cuddling her. 'Fake' yes; but I didn't have the energy to be angry anymore. You wouldn't have minded me in casualty.

Anyway, I digress. I've probably done over a thousand pills; I've never been to hospital (well I have, but normally with people who've got their noses broken unprovoked in drunk-fulled fights- I come from a rough town).

But what about people who jump out of planes and their parachute doesn't work? Would you resent scraping them up? What about people who ride horses and break their necks? What about people who sleep around/ smoke/ blah blah blah?
It's about risk; I wouldn't jump out of a plane. But it's legal. But it's life threatening.
People pay their money and take their choice. It's their life. It might be wrong. But no law can stop it, will ever stop it.

Thats fine, but you miss my point. People have the right to put whatever they want into their system. I do not believe they also have the right to abuse paramedics,nurses,doctors and anyone else who may be trying to help them. I do view alcohol as potentially dangerous as drugs are, and yes i probably look after more drunks on a night shift. I also see the dangers of smoking. But we rarely require the services of 6 police officers, 2 ambulance crews, 2 doctors and 4 nurses to calm someone down after alcohol intoxication. But to calm someone down who has taken drugs, this is far more common. I know this, because its my job.

I don't resent my job. I resent being abused and spat at. People who have sufferd in car accidents, falling off horses etc generally don't abuse staff in the same way. I love my job and i love caring for people. I don't deserve to be abused.

And how can you guarantee that the pill you are taking is safe? How do you actually know what that pill is made of?

Thats fine, but you miss my point. People have the right to put whatever they want into their system. I do not believe they also have the right to abuse paramedics,nurses,doctors and anyone else who may be trying to help them. I do view alcohol as potentially dangerous as drugs are, and yes i probably look after more drunks on a night shift. I also see the dangers of smoking. But we rarely require the services of 6 police officers, 2 ambulance crews, 2 doctors and 4 nurses to calm someone down after alcohol intoxication. But to calm someone down who has taken drugs, this is far more common. I know this, because its my job.

I don't resent my job. I resent being abused and spat at. People who have sufferd in car accidents, falling off horses etc generally don't abuse staff in the same way. I love my job and i love caring for people. I don't deserve to be abused.

And how can you guarantee that the pill you are taking is safe? How do you actually know what that pill is made of?

I don't believe that druggies are more violent/abusive than drunks, from personal experience of life, not casualty.
How can I guarantee a pill is safe? I can't. But I've took hundreds. I'm still here. So are all my friends. And I don't think it's luck.

"The current screaming festival over "meow meow" or "M-Cat" or whatever else the actual users aren't calling it, is a textbook example. I have no idea how dangerous it is, but there seems to be a glaring lack of correlation between the threat it reportedly poses and the huge number of schoolkids reportedly taking it. Something doesn't add up. But in lieu of explanation, we're treated to an hysterical, obfuscating advertising campaign for a substance that will presumably – thanks to the furore – soon only be available via illegal, unregulated, more dangerous, means. If I was 15 years old, I wouldn't be typing this right now. I'd be trying to buy "plant food" on the internet. And this time next year I'd be buying it in a pub toilet, cut with worming pills and costing four times as much."

:)

Without 'media hype' to write about the guy would be nothing. As it is all he's managed to do is point out that he knows as much about drugs as the average Mail columninst.

The interest brought about by the hype; a chance to drop a few shit anecdotes; the danger of criminalising these thing.

I'm sure it was something stupid like that.

Mephedrone 'likely to become Class B drug'

By Jack Doyle, Press Association

Tuesday, 23 March 2010

Mephedrone is likely to be made a Class B drug, the Government's chief drugs advisor indicated today.

Professor Les Iversen, the chairman of the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs (ACMD), said his personal view was mephedrone was "amphetamines by another name".

In evidence to the Home Affairs Committee, he said any deaths linked to the drug were a "tragedy".

But he defended the need to conduct research into the effects of mephedrone - known as M-Cat or Miaow Miaow - before it was banned.

Addressing the MPs he said: "I am not here to give my personal views...but as a pharmacologist these drugs are amphetamines by another name and I know that amphetamines are harmful.

"I think you can deduce my conclusions from that."

Amphetamines are currently a Class B drug along with cannabis.

Putting mephedrone in Class B would mean carrying the drug would be punishable with a jail term of up to five years and dealing it with up to to 14 years in prison.

The Committee's chairman Keith Vaz said he would be writing to Home Secretary Alan Johnson to complain about the delay in banning mephedrone.

He said: "We will be writing following this session to the Home Secretary about these matters.

"We just think the delay is most unsatisfactory given the dangers that are inherent (in taking mephedrone)."

The ACMD is due to present its report on mephedrone to ministers on Monday afternoon.

At that stage ministers are likely to indicate that they are in favour of a ban, but it could be many months before a ban comes into force.

Prof Iversen said it was "remarkable" how quickly the fashion for taking mephedrone had grown.

And he said a temporary ban while the evidence was being considered would not be effective.

In order for a ban to work, it would need to include the entire category of drug and not just individual substances, he said.

Ministers faced criticism for not having banned mephedrone following the deaths of two teenage boys in Scunthorpe last week.

The families of Louis Wainwright, 18, and Nicholas Smith, 19, joined calls from teachers' leaders for an immediate ban.

Police are today investigating the death of a 24-year-old woman thought to have taken the drug in Norton, North Yorkshire.

Mephedrone was virtually unknown until early last year but it is now one of the most popular drugs in nightclubs and is widely available online.

It is usually a white or yellowish powder, which is snorted, but can also be obtained in pills and capsules.

Users report effects similar to cocaine and ecstasy but also suffer side-effects such as heart palpitations, high blood pressure and nose bleeds.

Other side-effects are said to include weight loss, insomnia and psychosis.

Liberal Democrat home affairs spokesman Chris Huhne said: "Professor Iversen is completely right to say the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs must be allowed to conduct proper research before mephedrone can be made illegal.

"It is a travesty that the Government's interference with the advice of its independent scientific advisers has delayed this drug from being banned."

Shadow home secretary Chris Grayling said: "This is a welcome development. But the Government was warned years ago about the risks posed by legal highs and these steps should have been taken long ago."

The interest brought about by the hype; a chance to drop a few shit anecdotes; the danger of criminalising these thing.

I'm sure it was something stupid like that.

yeah, an article in a newspaper discussing a current news story. f***ing despicable...

yeah, an article in a newspaper discussing a current news story. f***ing despicable...

His only ever angle is to mock what the Mail or Sun has said about anything. If you don't find this amusing then he's saying nothing.

His only ever angle is to mock what the Mail or Sun has said about anything. If you don't find this amusing then he's saying nothing.

it's called social criticism. been around for a while.

I don't believe that druggies are more violent/abusive than drunks, from personal experience of life, not casualty.
How can I guarantee a pill is safe? I can't. But I've took hundreds. I'm still here. So are all my friends. And I don't think it's luck.

Im also speaking from personal experience. Thats how I see it from my years of working in A&E. I obviously have a different take on it. I just don't like being on the other end of someones trip. I don't care what people take, just keep it at home and don't waste my time ;)

We are influenced by many things. It's difficult to imagine a way that we could not be. I think who we are is a fluid concept. It's important to stick to your principles and beliefs, but it's also liberating to be able to make changes.
Well i just think that is possible to have fun without eating all the Mendeleev table.I just dont see nothing interesting in taking drugs.It does not appeal to me at all,seems boring and pointless.And dangerous of course.Im not interested in illusions and fake things.

Last edited:
So has Harry Hill but he's not posing as a journalist.

the definition of a journalist, according to wikipedia.

"A journalist collects and disseminates information about current events, people, trends, and issues. His or her work is acknowledged as journalism."

sounds a lot like what brooker is doing.

i think what you're trying to do is point out that you don't find him funny.

Well i just think that is possible to have fun without eating all the Mendeleev table.I just dont see nothing interesting in taking drugs.It does not appeal to me at all,seems boring and pointless.And dangerous of course.Im not interested in illusions and fake things.

Sorry, but nobody is going to take you seriously when you say this stuff because there's absolutely no way for you to know if drugs are boring or pointless, having never taken them.

Sorry, but nobody is going to take you seriously when you say this stuff because there's absolutely no way for you to know if drugs are boring or pointless, having never taken them.

I've kept company with people who have taken drugs, and they are boring, so unless I'm too shitfaced to care, it seems pointless to me.

I've kept company with people who have taken drugs, and they are boring, so unless I'm too shitfaced to care, it seems pointless to me.

i once met a black guy. he was a total dick. as such, i've decided all black people are subhuman scum.

the definition of a journalist, according to wikipedia.

"A journalist collects and disseminates information about current events, people, trends, and issues. His or her work is acknowledged as journalism."

sounds a lot like what brooker is doing.

i think what you're trying to do is point out that you don't find him funny.

I don't find him amusing but I can separate that from the fact that I don't believe he has anything valuable to say on the matters in question.

Even by that loose definition that article is more satire than journalism.

If I want a laugh at what the Sun has to say about current events I'll buy one.

Im also speaking from personal experience. Thats how I see it from my years of working in A&E. I obviously have a different take on it. I just don't like being on the other end of someones trip. I don't care what people take, just keep it at home and don't waste my time ;)

Fair point, and if drugs were legalised, people could take them in a more contained manner rather than in a hit and miss manner, and maybe you wouldn't be so encumbered by the idiotic ones.

Well i say what i think.Im not interested in illusions.

You don't like magic? :)

'Drugs' being plural is quite a broad term.

But while people are declaring eachother boring for either partaking or abstaining, I'd imagine life upon returning from another world must be pretty boring.

Tags
yum drugs
Back
Top Bottom