Merck Mercuriadis Interview: Morrissey "incorruptible" - hypebot

Posting this interview (it's very, very, very long) with Merck Mercuriadis because it mentions Morrissey but aside from that it's one of the most interesting music business interviews I've read in a long time.

Industry Bomb Thrower Merck Mercuriadis On Disrupting The Music Business [INTERVIEW] - hypebot

But if you're only interested in the Moz-bit, it's here:

"I use that word incorruptible to describe Morrissey as well when people talk about how difficult Morrissey is. He’s incorruptible. He knows what is right for him and it doesn’t matter whether or not it’s right for you he is going to end up doing what’s right for him. If you are going to work with Morrissey the only basis that you can work with Morrissey is if you believe that the work is important. A level of importance that it doesn’t really matter that what happens with the conventional rules of relationships because on sort of a Dylan Thomas/Oscar Wilde sort of level the work is more important."

full

Last edited by a moderator:
He actually succeded in developing a quite elaborate way of insulting people. Incorruptible does not generally have that meaning.

It's amazing how the Ponzi scheme can be used in almost everything. Whatever you imagine, Italian brains did it first :italy: :D

" He knows what is right for him"

Nope, basing your political views on youtube conspiracies isnt right for anybody

In other words, if you're interested in having a good time or getting paid you might want to take a pass.
All while walking on egg shells lightly sprinkled on a tightrope over a bed of nails in a room on fire in the top floor of a tower block being demolished.

I'll take it as "Incorruptibility". I must have a relic when Morrissey leaves this Earth, prepare now friends. That is if I'm still here ;)

He actually succeded in developing a quite elaborate way of insulting people. Incorruptible does not generally have that meaning.

Right, "incorruptible" implies that there's almost an underlying goodness there... maybe "uncompromising" is better as it's morally neutral?

His description of Morrissey as a person who always does what he deems to be right for him, with no consideration for other people, strikes me as credible. What I admire in Merck, is that he's able to observe this side of Morrissey's personality without judging it. He understands under which terms you can work with Morrissey: it is always a matter of putting his art first so you better truly believe in it.
But t also feeds into the perception that his entourage consists mainly of yes-men.

Right, "incorruptible" implies that there's almost an underlying goodness there... maybe "uncompromising" is better as it's morally neutral?

Yes, it's as if someone said: "This site respects freedom of speech. It allows people to show off their hatred against a particular person, and it offers to the cyberbullies a virtual place to exercise their activity with impunity". What is that person saying? In truth, the latter is not freedom of speech, it's a crime, that's cyberbullying. Because it is one thing or another. Choose which side of the fence you are on. (That's the way I speak to myself, by the way).

Morrissey is right to oppose Islam taking over the UK, in years to come this will be proven. The looney left is a dangerous thing, Jeremy Corbyn is a fool as far as I can see, his policies are based on, knowingly, that he will never be in a position to implement them, his sums don’t add up, the blokes a nut job. The press, ie, the Guardian are obviously controlled by outside authorities, their stories are biased and border on pure filth. Donald Trump visited the UK this week, all I read was he would not be welcome, mainly by Islamic people like Sadiq Khan, well he was more than welcome, the president of our greatest friend the USA. This IS the western world, let’s keep it that way! Viva Morrissey!

His description of Morrissey as a person who always does what he deems to be right for him, with no consideration for other people, strikes me as credible. What I admire in Merck, is that he's able to observe this side of Morrissey's personality without judging it. He understands under which terms you can work with Morrissey: it is always a matter of putting his art first so you better truly believe in it.
But t also feeds into the perception that his entourage consists mainly of yes-men.

best comment on this topic so far. This "drive" of Moz's to put forth the "best" final work of art is to be commended. Any perceived artistic problems (songs, artwork, etc.) however can be linked to that last sentence. Mozzer has always been ahead of the game in many ways. Far better than most every other artist with such a long career. He has not proven to be infallable, however. There was a time when there was pushback on subpar ideas within the band and it served as a sort of QC. That's not been the case for some time now, it would seem, and the level of consistency has suffered to some degree. Don't get me wrong. He's still the best there is, but could still be better. As noted, Merck was a great choice for that period of time. Whip smart, that guy.

Nothing I love more than Morrissey's stubbornness is just how much people are upset by it. Please keep singing that tune. It is music to my ears.

"Oh yeah we love his music. We just don't approve of the way he goes about it."

Morrissey is right to oppose Islam taking over the UK, in years to come this will be proven. The looney left is a dangerous thing, Jeremy Corbyn is a fool as far as I can see, his policies are based on, knowingly, that he will never be in a position to implement them, his sums don’t add up, the blokes a nut job. The press, ie, the Guardian are obviously controlled by outside authorities, their stories are biased and border on pure filth. Donald Trump visited the UK this week, all I read was he would not be welcome, mainly by Islamic people like Sadiq Khan, well he was more than welcome, the president of our greatest friend the USA. This IS the western world, let’s keep it that way! Viva Morrissey!
Well you’re a f***ing idiot

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom