Michael Bublé mentions being badmouthed by Morrissey in Guardian interview

From 'The Guardian' today, interview with Michael Bublé ~

"What's the worst thing anyone ever said about you?

Morrissey said once, "Fire in the belly is essential, otherwise you become like Michael Bublé – famous and meaningless". I just thought, "I wish I could be as successful as Morrissey."

Link posted by Kewpie:

Michael Bublé, singer – portrait of the artist - The Guardian
The Canadian singer talks about why it's good to steal from other artists, the problem with the record industry – and what it's like to be badmouthed by Morrissey

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Article: Michael Bublé mentions being badmouthed by Morrissey in Guardian intervi

I love Michael Bublé. I think he's hilarious. :p And he's giving Morrissey press. :cool:

Re: Article: Michael Bublé mentions being badmouthed by Morrissey in Guardian intervi

That is the meanest thing anyone ever said about him?? I guess he doesn't piss too many people off. That wasn't a very mean Morrissey comment though. Hell, he's probably said something meaner about someone so far today.:p

That is the meanest thing anyone ever said about him?? I guess he doesn't piss too many people off. That wasn't a very mean Morrissey comment though. Hell, he's probably said something meaner about someone so far today.:p

I thought it was well played by Bublé, nobody likes to be called irrelevant.

Bublé stars in one of my favorite SNL skits that mocks much of the music industry. :D He's funny, I bet Morrissey would like him in person, tbh.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/311547

I thought it was well played by Bublé, nobody likes to be called irrelevant.

Bublé stars in one of my favorite SNL skits that mocks much of the music industry. :D He's funny, I bet Morrissey would like him in person, tbh.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/311547

Yes, he was very funny on SNL. That's a funny clip:thumb: This is my favorite:

Yes, he was very funny on SNL. That's a funny clip:thumb: This is my favorite:

Wow, I hadn't seen that. :eek:

I'm not really a fan of Michael Buble's music but a few years ago my Mom & I got free tickets to a concert of his and it was fantastic! We were both really surprised and it was one of the most entertaining concerts either of us had been to. You're right he's really funny and puts on a great show. I think Morrissey slammed him pretty good with that comment, which is a shame, because I can think of a lot of people who deserved it more than him. Beyonce and/or Jay-Z come to mind as they are the very essence of "famous and meaningless." Plus Buble' had commented several times on his admiration for Morrissey before Moz made his snide remark.

I'm not really a fan of Michael Buble's music but a few years ago my Mom & I got free tickets to a concert of his and it was fantastic! We were both really surprised and it was one of the most entertaining concerts either of us had been to. You're right he's really funny and puts on a great show. I think Morrissey slammed him pretty good with that comment, which is a shame, because I can think of a lot of people who deserved it more than him. Beyonce and/or Jay-Z come to mind as they are the very essence of "famous and meaningless." Plus Buble' had commented several times on his admiration for Morrissey before Moz made his snide remark.

Well, truth is in the eye of the beholder, in this case, and 'meaning' in pop is prismatic. I find oceans of meaning in both Beyonce's output and Jay-Z's, and I'm hardly a hardcore fan of either. Why so many of you wannabe English major types don't go in for hip-hop is completely beyond me - Jay-Z at his best displays a cleverness with words and an erudition far beyond most poets. And Beyonce's given culture critics an awful lot to talk about. Her art is not really her music, it's her public image, and if anyone here finds that offputting they should, in the interest of fairness, cast every Morrissey record they own into the fire as he's just the same.

I think Morrissey's bang-on. Bublé is smarminess personified. If he's as funny as you contrarians think he is, he should've gone into comedy and spared us all his toothless Engelbert Humperdinck redux schtick.

For the record, I'm from Canada, where exposure to Mr. Bublé is state-mandated, so I take him more personally than I do other pop I don't enjoy.

I disagree with Moz about the need for fire in the belly. I like Buble's smooth sexy voice; a component not directly linked to him being famous & meaningless.

Isn't an ulcer technically fire in the belly? :blushing: HEY-OOOOOOOHHHHHHHH!, careful what ya say! (I couldn't resist. :p)

I love you Moz. :sweet: I bet you saw something that day and took a swipe. I do it, except I try to do it in my brain. :D

Well, truth is in the eye of the beholder, in this case, and 'meaning' in pop is prismatic. I find oceans of meaning in both Beyonce's output and Jay-Z's, and I'm hardly a hardcore fan of either. Why so many of you wannabe English major types don't go in for hip-hop is completely beyond me - Jay-Z at his best displays a cleverness with words and an erudition far beyond most poets. And Beyonce's given culture critics an awful lot to talk about. Her art is not really her music, it's her public image, and if anyone here finds that offputting they should, in the interest of fairness, cast every Morrissey record they own into the fire as he's just the same.

I think Morrissey's bang-on. Bublé is smarminess personified. If he's as funny as you contrarians think he is, he should've gone into comedy and spared us all his toothless Engelbert Humperdinck redux schtick.

For the record, I'm from Canada, where exposure to Mr. Bublé is state-mandated, so I take him more personally than I do other pop I don't enjoy.

I Love hip-hop and rap music! What I don't like is someone like Jay-Z who has nothing to offer but a weakass voice and soulless songs like Lucifer. What I don't like is someone like Beyonce' with her terrible singing voice and horrible fashion sense. Her cherished public image isn't worth spit on a sidewalk to me. And you're completely Wrong, by trying to lump Morrissey in with Beyonce', by saying that their art is not really their music but its their public image. Morrissey's art has always been his music. Morrissey's art is the lyrics he writes and sings and the beautiful music written for him by Johnny Marr, Stephen Street, Alain Whyte, Boz Boorer, and yes Mark E. Nevin and Jesse Tobias too! Morrissey lives and breathes his music. To make such a pronouncement shows that you truly don't understand Morrissey at all. And I'll never cast any of my Morrissey records into the fire. Never.

I Love rap music! Ice-T is one of my 5 or 6 favorite musical artists of any genre. His "Mind Over Matter" is one of my Top Ten songs of all-time by anyone. A lot of people slam him because they mistakenly say that his songs are all about guns and violence. In 99% of his songs the villain loses. In "Drama" the villain goes to prison and at the end of the song is put to death. In "Peel Their Caps Back" dozens of gang members on both sides of the conflict are gunned down in the streets. Ice-T's songs are cautionary tales that can help people by warning them not to go down the wrong paths of life. He also penned one of the greatest anti-drug songs of all-time with his masterpiece "I'm Your Pusher." In the song Ice is "pushing" his music, and other rappers music, and repeatedly warning his listeners to get off drugs and stay off them. (Another great anti-drug song is "Knock Me Down" by The Red Hot Chili Peppers, which was written after their bandmate Hillel Slovak died of a heroin overdose.) Ice-T's music really means something and I guarantee you he'd never write some f***ing bullshit like Jay-Z's Lucifer.

Sorry for making three posts but I'm tired of writing a lot and getting timed out, and losing it all. Other phenomenal rap artists are DJ Quik, Eric B. & Rakim, Bushwick Bill (he's a Christian rapper now and his songs are awesome), Ice Cube, MC Ren, The Fugees, Paris, Too $hort (I realize his songs are derogatory towards women but I like his flow), Michael Franti & Spearhead, Outkast, Slick Rick, EPMD, Public Enemy, Big K.R.I.T., Curren$y, Andre Nickatina, The Jacka, J. Stalin, Lyrics Born, KRS-One, Freddie Gibbs, Kendrick Lamar, Feddi DiMarco, Black Silver, Lil' Scrappy, Nas, and Suga Free. These are rappers with style and true substance and who care about the music they make! People should listen to them and completely give up on the Jay-Z's and Kanye West's of the world.

Fire in the belly? Isn't that why Moz cancelled his last tour...?:mad:

Me thinks Bubblehead is confusing sales stats (CDs/tix) with success, which in the music industry are meaningless compared to duration and having quality work that stands the test of time.

Me thinks Bubblehead is confusing sales stats (CDs/tix) with success, which in the music industry are meaningless compared to duration and having quality work that stands the test of time.

Do you mean 'Kill Uncle'? *smirks*

Nick Drake was destroyed by lack of success, amongst other things. If he'd have had a commercial response to his work, if Island records had acknowledged delivery of his final album, not left it under the receptionist's desk for 3 weeks, he might not have plunged into a downward final spiral.

I know so many talented writers and performers who are destroying themselves. They cannot or will not understand that the market for Art, whether consumer products like CDs or download playlists, live performances and branded apparel, is totally saturated. There is not enough time in the day to listen or watch everything of worth or note. The capitalist gatekeeper media and record companies (EMI/NME) who privileged and product-managed The Smiths and Morrissey erased vast amounts of other work as part of a ruthless Darwinian business model to ensure their corporate profits weren't diluted by consumer attention being spread too far. As far as I can see, Morrissey's complaint is that he should have sold as many albums as Dire Straits, Madonna, George Micheal and Micheal Jackson, despite not having the talent, drive, business and managerial support in place to even attempt such a thing. Somehow that's become a conspiracy of judges, accountants, media and audience against him, rather than his own personal strategic business plan ineptitude. Now Morrissey, like everyone else, is lost in the swarm, hence the increasingly desperate appeals to pseudo-intellectual superiority and the frankly ridiculous notion that important popular music has to have 'intelligent' lyrics and longevity to have meaning. If so, why does Morrissey choose obscure monosyllabic rockabilly to hype himself up before he comes onstage?

Finally, Morrissey champions discarded and disregarded art made by many whose work did not stand the test of either the market or time. Mostly, he appears to do that in some kind of delusional status and kudos seeking attempt, like some prat in the playground walking around with a Bowie album three years too late. Some of his choices in film, books and music were explicitly political with regard to regional politics in the UK, but increasingly became a rather obvious window into the repressions percolating up through his mind. From LOTFIP to Boxers, it increasingly became clear that this was no knowing post-modern irony festival but a serious estrangement from absorbing the lessons of a working class upbringing. I assume his perfume and puffy shirt 5 star hotel consumerist lifestyle is a similar attempt to convey Alpha status and wealth to the dysfunctional men who he still seems to fixate on rather than become a balanced adult. He's just another lottery winner who escaped the estate/ghetto. Joey Barton has now become a bad-boy Beckham, without any of the charm or easy beauty. Barton or Beckham: who's the Alpha Male and who's the wannabe? Why am I not surprised that Morrissey validates one and excoriates the other? I'm sure David and Victoria cry themselves to sleep as they too descend into the mayhem and trivia of pointless bling.

Not that I'm a psychiatrist or anything. Hope there's nothing 'actionable' in any of this cuz, y'know, I'd be really, really scared and intimidated if Morrissey used a phalanx of lawyers to protect his brand, just like I was when the Catholic Church, BBC and the rest of the Establishment did....Just musing about the fascinating and 'baffling' mysteries of Morrissey. ahem! ah, here's my taxi! Train heave on to New Street...

Do you mean 'Kill Uncle'? *smirks*
as Dire Straits, Madonna, George Micheal and Micheal Jackson, despite not having the talent, drive, business and managerial support in place to even attempt such a thing.

So you think that Morrissey is less talented than Dire Straits, George Michael and Madonna?

f***ing Hell, that's a hell of a put down.

What are you doing on here again? :lbf:

As a bloke Buble seems alright, his music does seem completely pointless but then I imagine I'm not his target audiance. He fills the void that Cliff left when he decided to only appear at Christmas.

Last edited:

Sorry for making three posts but I'm tired of writing a lot and getting timed out, and losing it all. Other phenomenal rap artists are DJ Quik, Eric B. & Rakim, Bushwick Bill (he's a Christian rapper now and his songs are awesome), Ice Cube, MC Ren, The Fugees, Paris, Too $hort (I realize his songs are derogatory towards women but I like his flow), Michael Franti & Spearhead, Outkast, Slick Rick, EPMD, Public Enemy, Big K.R.I.T., Curren$y, Andre Nickatina, The Jacka, J. Stalin, Lyrics Born, KRS-One, Freddie Gibbs, Kendrick Lamar, Feddi DiMarco, Black Silver, Lil' Scrappy, Nas, and Suga Free. These are rappers with style and true substance and who care about the music they make! People should listen to them and completely give up on the Jay-Z's and Kanye West's of the world.

if you tick the box "remember me" under the login, it won't log you out. i discovered this after some painful losses of blogs and long winded pm's to people i absolutely adore on here. when you log out, un-tick it, so you don't stay logged in permanently, the re-tick on next login.
i thought it was the server timing out or something, some forum templates like this have options where you can control the length of login time for your username, but this is the only way i have found to get around this annoying feature.
it's meant to be for your own security, but as with many things meant to keep you safe, it manages to keep you safe from having a web experience at all! (NORTON, I'M LOOKIN AT YOU! Anti-virus, my arse!)

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom