Mike Joyce on the Queen's Christmas address; suggests Morrissey sort peace treaty - NME

Link posted by Mike Joyce / Facebook:

The Smiths' Mike Joyce says Queen should wear 'Queen is Dead' T-shirt during Christmas address - NME
Drummer also says Morrissey should sort out Christmas peace treaty

Excerpt:

Mike Joyce, former drummer of The Smiths, has said he thinks the Queen should wear a 'Queen Is Dead' T-shirt during her Christmas speech, as well as "tell the truth" about what's happening in the world.

Speaking in the new issue of NME, which is on newsstands now and available digitally, the drummer said: "I think she [the Queen] should wear a 'Queen Is Dead' T-shirt! And maybe tell the truth instead of this cosseted opinion of what's happening in the world. They [the royals] don't understand about money, war, strife and struggle and the realities of life that 99.9 per cent of the country deals with on a regular basis. They don't live normal lives."

When asked who should be in charge of sorting out a Christmas peace treaty, Joyce replied that his former bandmate Morrissey would be the best option. "I like that when he puts his arguments forward, there's no flim-flam, no compromise. For that I've always adored him," he said. "I became vegetarian after 'Meat is Murder' in 1985. All my kids have grown up vegetarian and that was his doing."

Nicely.

P.

Personally, I don't think it was ever his idea to sue. I think someone pressured him to.

Personally, I don't think it was ever his idea to sue. I think someone pressured him to.

Did he have a gun to his head?

Joyce says one nice thing and we're all ready for a group hug? Remember this is the guy who tried to have Morrissey's Mother's house seized.

Did he have a gun to his head?

Joyce says one nice thing and we're all ready for a group hug? Remember this is the guy who tried to have Morrissey's Mother's house seized.

So what? He successfully sued Morrissey and the court made the right decision and then Morrissey, being a sore loser, refused to pay up so Joyce pursued the legal remedies that were open to him. What's it to you?

Dry your eyes and move on.

So what? He successfully sued Morrissey and the court made the right decision and then Morrissey, being a sore loser, refused to pay up so Joyce pursued the legal remedies that were open to him. What's it to you?

I'm aware of what Joyce did anonymous. It's nothing to me. He is still a douche bag no matter how many superficial niceties spew from his mouth. Now off you go, whoever you are.

Right now Mike Joyce is on BBC 6 Music Radcliffe and Maconie show.

They were talking about Morrissey.

I tuned in after 14:30, need to listen again later.

Joyce must feel pretty dumb now, having blocked the possibility of a Smiths reunion forever, which would easily have earned him 10 times as much as he milked out of Morrissey in the court room :)

Link posted by Mike Joyce / Facebook:

The Smiths' Mike Joyce says Queen should wear 'Queen is Dead' T-shirt during Christmas address - NME
Drummer also says Morrissey should sort out Christmas peace treaty

Excerpt:

Mike Joyce, former drummer of The Smiths, has said he thinks the Queen should wear a 'Queen Is Dead' T-shirt during her Christmas speech, as well as "tell the truth" about what's happening in the world.

Speaking in the new issue of NME, which is on newsstands now and available digitally, the drummer said: "I think she [the Queen] should wear a 'Queen Is Dead' T-shirt! And maybe tell the truth instead of this cosseted opinion of what's happening in the world. They [the royals] don't understand about money, war, strife and struggle and the realities of life that 99.9 per cent of the country deals with on a regular basis. They don't live normal lives."

When asked who should be in charge of sorting out a Christmas peace treaty, Joyce replied that his former bandmate Morrissey would be the best option. "I like that when he puts his arguments forward, there's no flim-flam, no compromise. For that I've always adored him," he said. "I became vegetarian after 'Meat is Murder' in 1985. All my kids have grown up vegetarian and that was his doing."

Joyce must feel pretty dumb now, having blocked the possibility of a Smiths reunion forever, which would easily have earned him 10 times as much as he milked out of Morrissey in the court room :)

I dont think I have read a more truer thing on the interwebs today...

Even without the court case, there would still have never been a Smiths reunion.

If it was purely the court case preventing a reunion, Morrissey and Marr could have worked together again. They were, after all, on the same side against Joyce.

But they haven't.

The reason why Morrissey has never agreed to a reunion is because he's never forgiven Marr for walking away, and is too stubborn to give him another chance.

He has also felt that the Smiths have overshadowed his solo career, and doesn't want to "admit defeat" in going back to the Smiths.

Also, like many people, I think Morrissey has a narcissistic streak which quite likes the fact that he has had the best post-Smiths career. I think he likes having more fame and wealth than Marr, Rourke and Joyce and doesn't want to share that with them.

Last edited:
I'm aware of what Joyce did anonymous. It's nothing to me. He is still a douche bag no matter how many superficial niceties spew from his mouth. Now off you go, whoever you are.

You call him a "douche bag" because he did something to upset your favourite pop star: how truly f***ing pathetic.

Grow up.

I dont think I have read a more truer thing on the interwebs today...

I was re-reading a bit of Autobiography today and thought the exact same thing: that Joyce would have made so much money from a Smiths reunion. I guess he was too skint in the 90's to wait for a tiny chance of huge money in the noughties or later years. Besides he got or was awarded a load of cash after the court case anyway so he did ok. He probably was pressured by the wife to sue but it was a case of 'Moz is rich so he won't miss a few million'. That isn't grounds for taking anyone to court. Like or hate Moz but that court case was a shambolic attempt at character assassination and the ex Smiths should have settled things amicably themselves without giving power to degenerate judges and barristers.

Even without the court case, there would still have never been a Smiths reunion.

If it was purely the court case preventing a reunion, Morrissey and Marr could have worked together again. They were, after all, on the same side against Joyce.

But they haven't.

The reason why Morrissey has never agreed to a reunion is because he's never forgiven Marr for walking away, and is too stubborn to give him another chance.

He has also felt that the Smiths have overshadowed his solo career, and doesn't want to "admit defeat" in going back to the Smiths.

Also, like many people, I think Morrissey has a narcissistic streak which quite likes the fact that he has had the best post-Smiths career. I think he likes having more fame and wealth than Marr, Rourke and Joyce and doesn't want to share that with them.

Moz couldn't admit defeat because he has never been defeated. Even during the 'wilderness years' he enjoyed sold out concerts and constant name checking by other lesser artists. His solo albums are just as good if not better than a lot of The Smiths albums. Moz moved on years ago. Everyone else should too. Who needs a reunion after the fantastic 'World Peace' and the chance of another album next year?

I was re-reading a bit of Autobiography today and thought the exact same thing: that Joyce would have made so much money from a Smiths reunion. I guess he was too skint in the 90's to wait for a tiny chance of huge money in the noughties or later years. Besides he got or was awarded a load of cash after the court case anyway so he did ok. He probably was pressured by the wife to sue but it was a case of 'Moz is rich so he won't miss a few million'. That isn't grounds for taking anyone to court. Like or hate Moz but that court case was a shambolic attempt at character assassination and the ex Smiths should have settled things amicably themselves without giving power to degenerate judges and barristers.

For f***'s sake... Joyce took the case to court because Morrissey & Marr tried to cheat him out of what he was owed. Morrissey lost because, legally, he was in the wrong. It's really as simple as that.

What the f*** qualifies you to judge whether the court case "was a shambolic attempt at character assassination"?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom