Moments of brilliance from the “past their prime”

• Thread starter Deleted member 1074
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1074

Mostly a thread directed towards @Mr. Jackpots but anyone can really join in.

We were discussing the other day that the Coen Brothers have lost touch of what made their earlier films special. I made this statement before watching the recent film “The Ballad of Buster Scruggs”. After seeing this film, I still feel the same way, but I can’t deny that there were moments in the film that felt very much in tone with the peak of their career. Even though it wasn’t my favorite segment, the Liam Neeson story felt very similar to some of their older work like ‘Blood Simple’ and ‘Fargo’.

Having said this, what are some other moments of brilliance you can think of from artists (directors, actors, musicians) long past their prime? Please post video clips if available. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll always cite Magic by Springsteen. 2006 LP.

I'm nowhere near the cinema buff you are so it's hard to think of a film/director but Buscemi's performance in Louis CK's Horace and Pete miniseries is my favorite since he did Ghost World. I feel like it also features CK's best writing but he wasn't past his prime, so that's irrelevant I guess.

I consider Woody Allen's generally disliked Anything Else (2004) the best thing he did since Husbands and Wives. Although I don't love the players, except for Allen.

I'll always cite Magic by Springsteen. 2006 LP.

I'm nowhere near the cinema buff you are so it's hard to think of a film/director but Buscemi's performance in Louis CK's Horace and Pete miniseries is my favorite since he did Ghost World. I feel like it also features CK's best writing but he wasn't past his prime, so that's irrelevant I guess.

I consider Woody Allen's generally disliked Anything Else (2004) the best thing he did since Husbands and Wives. Although I don't love the players, except for Allen.

Magic is a great album. It doesn’t get much credit though because there aren’t enough 9/11 songs on it, apparently. My main issue with Bruce, other than his politics, is that he doesn’t let songs breathe anymore. They’re short and concise. While that benefits Bruce, it doesn’t benefit The E Street Band. They have very little to do on Magic. If Bruce had put out the kind of music he puts out today in the 70s, Lofgren, Van Sandt, and Clemons would have never been stand outs. With that said, Bruce has almost always had at least 1 good song on his later albums...but almost all of Magic is great. Nice choice.

I really liked Horace and Pete. It’s a shame about Louis. He doesn’t deserve to have his career ruined over bullshit like that. Same with Roseanne, honestly. When they tried to do the same to Norm for defending them, my blood was boiling.

Buscemi, Vince Vaughn and John C. Reilly are in the same boat as far as I’m considered. They started off as serious actors and have fallen into the easy money comedy trap. Steve is so f***ing good. The fact that more people probably know him for being a homeless guy in a Sandler movie is depressing...but in the end, he’s got bills to pay and critical reception doesn’t pay the bills. Vince Vaughn seems to be climbing out of the trap thankfully, it was nice to see him be serious again in True Detective. He was also good in Hacksaw Ridge. He sure cemented that he was back to being serious with Brawl On Cell Block 99. Such a great movie, a 70s throwback. John C. Reilly is too far gone at this point. I’ll never see him as anything other than Dewey Cox or Dr. Steve Brule.

I honestly don’t think I’ve particularly cared for a Woody Allen movie since the 90s. Don’t get me wrong, I’m very much a fan of him and his work. I just think I prefer him much more as an actor than a director, and that isn’t to say I don’t think he is a great director. He absolutely is. I just don’t care for the actors he uses. I’m not a terrible fan of modern actors. Any actor under 40 has nothing to really offer me. Usually I don’t like my artists to show their age in their work, but I think it could potentially be a benefit for his directing like it was for Eastwood.

Magic is a great album. It doesn’t get much credit though because there aren’t enough 9/11 songs on it, apparently. My main issue with Bruce, other than his politics, is that he doesn’t let songs breathe anymore. They’re short and concise. While that benefits Bruce, it doesn’t benefit The E Street Band. They have very little to do on Magic. If Bruce had put out the kind of music he puts out today in the 70s, Lofgren, Van Sandt, and Clemons would have never been stand outs. With that said, Bruce has almost always had at least 1 good song on his later albums...but almost all of Magic is great. Nice choice.

I really liked Horace and Pete. It’s a shame about Louis. He doesn’t deserve to have his career ruined over bullshit like that. Same with Roseanne, honestly. When they tried to do the same to Norm for defending them, my blood was boiling.

Buscemi, Vince Vaughn and John C. Reilly are in the same boat as far as I’m considered. They started off as serious actors and have fallen into the easy money comedy trap. Steve is so f***ing good. The fact that more people probably know him for being a homeless guy in a Sandler movie is depressing...but in the end, he’s got bills to pay and critical reception doesn’t pay the bills. Vince Vaughn seems to be climbing out of the trap thankfully, it was nice to see him be serious again in True Detective. He was also good in Hacksaw Ridge. He sure cemented that he was back to being serious with Brawl On Cell Block 99. Such a great movie, a 70s throwback. John C. Reilly is too far gone at this point. I’ll never see him as anything other than Dewey Cox or Dr. Steve Brule.

I honestly don’t think I’ve particularly cared for a Woody Allen movie since the 90s. Don’t get me wrong, I’m very much a fan of him and his work. I just think I prefer him much more as an actor than a director, and that isn’t to say I don’t think he is a great director. He absolutely is. I just don’t care for the actors he uses. I’m not a terrible fan of modern actors. Any actor under 40 has nothing to really offer me. Usually I don’t like my artists to show their age in their work, but I think it could potentially be a benefit for his directing like it was for Eastwood.

My understanding is that Magic was recorded separately by all parties. Sad; it sounds like such a cohesive record and I'd love to believe those dudes are all in the room together like in that BOMB ASS studio footage from '78 of the song The Promise. However, I do take your point about the claustrophobic nature of latter day Bruce.

I love Louis CK. His show was getting better and better but I think it would have ended regardless because I think he had said (pre-Scarlet Letter era) that he had done all he could do with it, and I respect that. I really, really loved Horace and Pete.

I have at best a peripheral familiarity with Vaughn although I've always been attracted to the jocularity of his persona; he's one of the last few affably-macho dudes who is unapologetically male, if that makes sense, but without veering into douchedom. I did not care for Season 2 of True Detective (Season 1 is up there for me with Twin Peaks and Breaking Bad) but his character was one of the only watchable elements. I haven't seen the films you mentioned but I will look for them.

I would not write off Reilly yet. I still think he's great and he could pull a Lost In Translation-era Bill Murray out of his ass before he's done. I think he just takes what he is given...and it's mostly shit. I'd hate to see what he turns down...

Allen has been repeating himself for 20 years. And that's OK with me; the motherf***er is 80 and has made some of the greatest films in cinematic history. I don't mind when artists repeat themselves as long as they do it well. The problem is he hasn't, generally, blown me away in doing so...Match Point is a great example; it was hailed as a huge return to form and I liked it but I just kept seeing a really dull version of Crimes and Misdemeanors. As we both kind of noted, the problem is with the actors. Most modern actors have the charisma and stage presence of an elementary school crossing guard.

I, too, love when Allen is onscreen. Even old-ass Woody is so magnetic. Nobody like him in the WORLD.

Going back to Bruce, I literally didn't watch The Sopranos until this year. I loved it. I wanted to know your thoughts on it and if you watched Lilyhammer and, if so, what you thought. I thought the first two seasons of Lilyhammer were great. And then speaking of spinoffs, what are you making of Better Call Saul at this point?

You could choose any of Gary Numan's albums from the last decade. I say any, because he's released the same one again and again, or at least it feels that way.

You could choose any of Gary Numan's albums from the last decade. I say any, because he's released the same one again and again, or at least it feels that way.

And you find them brilliant still?

And you find them brilliant still?
It was kind of a joke, but yes, I think Savage, Splinter, and Dead Son Rising are all great albums.
He's just in a thematic rut, and I just want to tell him, yes, I get it, you're disillusioned with God, and pissed off that Firefly was canceled.
Get a new topic beyond combining religion and sci-fi.

My understanding is that Magic was recorded separately by all parties. Sad; it sounds like such a cohesive record and I'd love to believe those dudes are all in the room together like in that BOMB ASS studio footage from '78 of the song The Promise. However, I do take your point about the claustrophobic nature of latter day Bruce.

And that is essentially the problem it seems. Not enough sitting around as a band and working out parts and just generally being creative...but I doubt the passion was still there by that point. Not like it used to be at least.

I love Louis CK. His show was getting better and better but I think it would have ended regardless because I think he had said (pre-Scarlet Letter era) that he had done all he could do with it, and I respect that. I really, really loved Horace and Pete.

He says that, but if FX came around with their checkbook, creative be damned I have another few years in me. It seemed to be coming to an end...I think he would've had another season or two left in him.

I have at best a peripheral familiarity with Vaughn although I've always been attracted to the jocularity of his persona; he's one of the last few affably-macho dudes who is unapologetically male, if that makes sense, but without veering into douchedom.

It makes perfect sense. Men are expected to be sensitive and vulnerable these days. I have ptsd and cry after I shoot someone. Give me a break. I'm not sure which Daniel Craig Bond film it was (as I don't care for his run), anyway they had him all depressed and couldn't shoot straight and all this nonsense. I'm sorry, that's not James Bond. The fact there are even discussions of making Bond black or having him romance another man just pisses me off. Also, while on the subject, RIP Doctor Who.

I did not care for Season 2 of True Detective (Season 1 is up there for me with Twin Peaks and Breaking Bad) but his character was one of the only watchable elements. I haven't seen the films you mentioned but I will look for them.

I distinctly remember talking with you about season 2 a long time ago and you making some comment about "gay motorcycle cop guy" and I was just left in stitches. You literally ruined that actor for me because that is all I think of now when I see him in something.

I would not write off Reilly yet. I still think he's great and he could pull a Lost In Translation-era Bill Murray out of his ass before he's done. I think he just takes what he is given...and it's mostly shit. I'd hate to see what he turns down...

Maybe he's like Lance Henrikesen or Bela Lugosi and never refuses any script? I really don't think there are any good scripts left...at least none that will be turned into good movies.

Allen has been repeating himself for 20 years. And that's OK with me; the motherf***er is 80 and has made some of the greatest films in cinematic history. I don't mind when artists repeat themselves as long as they do it well. The problem is he hasn't, generally, blown me away in doing so...Match Point is a great example; it was hailed as a huge return to form and I liked it but I just kept seeing a really dull version of Crimes and Misdemeanors. As we both kind of noted, the problem is with the actors. Most modern actors have the charisma and stage presence of an elementary school crossing guard.

One problem with Woody is he only seems comfortable with the same formula. Over and over and over. It is very rare to get something different out of him.

I, too, love when Allen is onscreen. Even old-ass Woody is so magnetic. Nobody like him in the WORLD.

What did you think of him in Fading Gigolo?

Going back to Bruce, I literally didn't watch The Sopranos until this year. I loved it. I wanted to know your thoughts on it and if you watched Lilyhammer and, if so, what you thought. I thought the first two seasons of Lilyhammer were great. And then speaking of spinoffs, what are you making of Better Call Saul at this point?

The Sopranos is OK. I mean, it starts to go down hill after a certain point. I think the last season I cared for was coincidentally the season with Buscemi. I've never watched Lilyhammer. I don't even have Netflix anymore. The overall content moved further and further away from what I wanted to see. Pirated Buster Scruggs. I haven't kept up with Better Call Saul. I don't really watch tv much at all. I think the last thing I watched was season 2. Not because I didn't like it...I just wasn't as invested in it.

And that is essentially the problem it seems. Not enough sitting around as a band and working out parts and just generally being creative...but I doubt the passion was still there by that point. Not like it used to be at least.

He says that, but if FX came around with their checkbook, creative be damned I have another few years in me. It seemed to be coming to an end...I think he would've had another season or two left in him.

It makes perfect sense. Men are expected to be sensitive and vulnerable these days. I have ptsd and cry after I shoot someone. Give me a break. I'm not sure which Daniel Craig Bond film it was (as I don't care for his run), anyway they had him all depressed and couldn't shoot straight and all this nonsense. I'm sorry, that's not James Bond. The fact there are even discussions of making Bond black or having him romance another man just pisses me off. Also, while on the subject, RIP Doctor Who.

I distinctly remember talking with you about season 2 a long time ago and you making some comment about "gay motorcycle cop guy" and I was just left in stitches. You literally ruined that actor for me because that is all I think of now when I see him in something.

Maybe he's like Lance Henrikesen or Bela Lugosi and never refuses any script? I really don't think there are any good scripts left...at least none that will be turned into good movies.

One problem with Woody is he only seems comfortable with the same formula. Over and over and over. It is very rare to get something different out of him.

What did you think of him in Fading Gigolo?

The Sopranos is OK. I mean, it starts to go down hill after a certain point. I think the last season I cared for was coincidentally the season with Buscemi. I've never watched Lilyhammer. I don't even have Netflix anymore. The overall content moved further and further away from what I wanted to see. Pirated Buster Scruggs. I haven't kept up with Better Call Saul. I don't really watch tv much at all. I think the last thing I watched was season 2. Not because I didn't like it...I just wasn't as invested in it.

I still need to see Fading Gigilo.

Saul definitely took awhile to hit its stride. It's become a great show. But it will never match Breaking Bad.

Aside from the totally wooden acting by that gay cop guy in TDS2; the character was a just a cheap gimmick out of the gate. "Oh let's have this dark brooding cop with a secret...and the secret is he's...he's...he's GAY!"

He just sulked and pouted through the show like a pissy 15 year old grounded from his XBox for a week. I was glad when he died.

I don't love (or hate) Quentin Tarantino but I think that he is pretty good at getting solid performances out of (and re-establish, to varying degrees, the public appreciation of) several actors who have long since faded, largely, from glory. Kurt Russel, Travolta, Bruce Willis...

I don't love (or hate) Quentin Tarantino but I think that he is pretty good at getting solid performances out of (and re-establish, to varying degrees, the public appreciation of) several actors who have long since faded, largely, from glory. Kurt Russel, Travolta, Bruce Willis...

I think most of what Tarantino does is theft and/or crap...but his first three movies are great. Jackie Brown being my favorite of the three. If Tarantino was able to get a good performance out of 2018 Bruce, I’d be impressed. There has only been one fleeting moment in the last 15 years where I saw a sign of the old Bruce, and that was when he’s killing all the people to get to Jeff Daniels near the end of Looper.

I don’t know if you’ve seen it, but a great Kurt movie that came out either just before or after the Hateful Eight is Bone Tomahawk. Man, that movie is just so good.

I don’t know if you’ve seen it, but a great Kurt movie that came out either just before or after the Hateful Eight is Bone Tomahawk. Man, that movie is just so good.

I have not only not seen but never even heard of it. But thanks very much for the recommendation; my son has been in another Westerns phase ever since RDR2 came out and we saw that Coen bros. movie so I'll definitely check it out with him.

Last edited:
I have not only not seen but never even heard of it. But thanks very much for the recommendation; my son has been in another Westerns phase ever since RDD2 came out and we saw that Coen bros. movie so I'll definitely check it out with him.

RDR2 is how I’ve been spending my nights since October. Lol. Loved it. Best game I’ve ever played. I genuinely cried a couple times during the game. When I started playing I was all like, what the f***? This guy sounds like some Slingblade shit. Didn’t think Arthur would ever be better than John, but not only did he surpass John for me, he became my favorite character in a game ever. How far along is he?

RDR2 is how I’ve been spending my nights since October. Lol. Loved it. Best game I’ve ever played. I genuinely cried a couple times during the game. When I started playing I was all like, what the f***? This guy sounds like some Slingblade shit. Didn’t think Arthur would ever be better than John, but not only did he surpass John for me, he became my favorite character in a game ever. How far along is he?

RDR2 is what I meant, obviously. Not RDD2.

He calls me in to watch him play certain parts or to look at the layout and characters and stuff but I don't pretend to understand the narrative.

RDR2 is what I meant, obviously. Not RDD2.

He calls me in to watch him play certain parts or to look at the layout and characters and stuff but I don't pretend to understand the narrative.

Does he ever indulge in depravity like me?

Such as shooting a man’s eyes out?
CF0C5941-ABFA-4162-A886-F0C27D41A4A1.jpeg

And then destroying his skull?
71D65769-5549-4989-B93D-4B87259D0DB6.jpeg

And then murdering his horse?
6325F6FA-D60C-4037-8094-D284E719B2F6.jpeg

This is the thread where Viva Hate and his gimp tell us how brilliant Viva Hate is and how he has good taste.

Back
Top Bottom