more Warner music news - in light of the 'Bowl DVD story

The Seeker of Good Songs

Activision Responds To Warners' Profit Complaints

In response to Warner Music's unsatisfactory performance, Activision CEO Bobby Kotick said that the company is not "respectful of how much we've done to bring new audiences into the market."
Warner Music chief exec Edgar Bronfman Jr. said that music titles such as Guitar Hero and Rock Band have a "very paltry licensing fee", that contributed to their $9 million loss last quarter. Kotick added in the Financial Times interview, "We're introducing a whole new group of artists to new audiences that is resulting in their iTunes downloads being exponentially higher than they would otherwise be, [as well as] new album sales and new merchandising opportunities."
It looks like we won't be seeing any Warner Music artists - such as Green Day, Depeche Mode, Led Zeppelin - featured in Guitar Hero anytime soon, as Kotick said, "We're going to favor those publishers that recognize and appreciate how much we can add value to their artists." There is a positive side to that though, as Warner Music is currently in charge of one "musician" we certainly don't want to see in any music game - Paris Hilton.

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/688246/Activision_Responds_To_Warners_Profit_Complaints.html

Why would Depeche Mode be featured in Guitar Hero to begin with? Surely, nobody in their right mind considers Martin Gore a guitarist, even if he does prance around on stage with one on tour.

Why would Depeche Mode be featured in Guitar Hero to begin with? Surely, nobody in their right mind considers Martin Gore a guitarist, even if he does prance around on stage with one on tour.

I imagine it was a pre-emptive strike against the upcoming sequel, Synth Hero.

Coiff.

I imagine it was a pre-emptive strike against the upcoming sequel, Synth Hero.

Coiff.

An attempt for 80's One-Hit Wonders to earn money for their retirement years?

I hate the idea of Guitar Hero.

But there are different ways to be a guitarist. If Martin Gore writes songs on guitar and if the sound of the guitar adds to the songs, even just as texture, then he's as much a guitarist as some random MTV rock band's "lead guitarist".

I hate the idea of Guitar Hero.

But there are different ways to be a guitarist. If Martin Gore writes songs on guitar and if the sound of the guitar adds to the songs, even just as texture, then he's as much a guitarist as some random MTV rock band's "lead guitarist".

Unfortunately, my memories of Mr. Gore will be either standing firmly behind a keyboard or wearing nylons and a mini-skirt crooing out Somebody.

I don't know which of those images is more frightening.

An attempt for 80's One-Hit Wonders to earn money for their retirement years?

Some of them already have.

Guitar%20Hero%2080s.jpg

Unfortunately, my memories of Mr. Gore will be either standing firmly behind a keyboard or wearing nylons and a mini-skirt crooing out Somebody.

I don't know which of those images is more frightening.

Martin Gore is a character. How excitng would DM be if there were two Fletches.

I prefer Martin over Dave.

Martin Gore is a character. How excitng would DM be if there were two Fletches.

I prefer Martin over Dave.

Love The Band and admire his song-writing, but I've always been taken a bit back by the whole "I Got To Be Play A Guitar in order to get noticed" bit he started having back in 93. Actually it started during The Music For The Masses Tour, but at least he confined himself to 1 or 2 songs back then.

Back
Top Bottom