"Morning Starship" single (Jobriath cover) - Messages from Morrissey ~ available 20th March 2019

https://www.morrisseycentral.com/messagesfrommorrissey/morning-starship

Morning Starship.

March 20, 2019

Morrissey's single Morning Starship is available tomorrow - Wednesday 20 March, on iTunes and Spotify. It is a cover version of the song written and released by Jobriath in 1974. It is also the first track on Morrissey's California Son album, released on 24 May.

46763_Untitled_3_saoc49.png

Link posted by joe frady:

Last edited by a moderator:
A very middle of the road cover. But cover version albums are generally bad things. Unless the artist is prepared to do something different, or something a little bit left-field (see Johnny Cash) then the covers on the record just sound like uninspired kack. This, point in question, lacks the harpsichord-laced charm of the original...
did you not say the same thing about its over.

I don’t think many people in the general public are gonna know many of if any of these songs. Comparisons to the originals probably is t gonna be that big a deal in terms of California sons reception

I don’t think many people in the general public are gonna know many of if any of these songs. Comparisons to the originals probably is t gonna be that big a deal in terms of California sons reception

Right, no one's gonna know who Jobriath is. It sounds like Morrissey has gone adult contemporary instead of paying tribute to a cool, obscure glam rock figure. The track really needs a more imaginative musical framework for his vocals. Otherwise it sounds safe and a little dull.

Just listened to Yawning Starship now. As usual Moz's voice is ace. His singing on the chorus is especially effective. However, the musicians are plodding along. They're ok but just ok. The guitars are depressingly dull.

I really wish Moz had included Back On The Chain Gang on this album. It seems perverse not to, but I guess he wants fawning fans to buy LIHS twice on vinyl as well as Californicated Sin.

Last edited:
I’ll still buy it.
Will there ever come a time when you won't? I buy a fair amount of music (CDs, vinyl) and have bought almost everything Moz has released, but I still check out the artwork, the bsides, do I already have the A side, are the bsides live cover versions etc before I commit to buy. In some cases I couldn't be arsed, e.g. the reissue of LIHS, 7" singles from LIHS. I buy too much stuff not to apply some criteria. Money is hard enough earned. My question isn't intended to be an insult or assumption.

I don't like to be negative but Morrissey's voice is so good it is tragic that he isn't being handed top quality music. Although I loved LIHS and World Peace I can't help but think his potential is not allowed to reach his zenith. Like Superman being handed Keyptonite.

hqdefault.jpg

p.s. I'm still a massive Moz fan.

The music is fine to me as the fun is in the vocal melody and lyrics. It’s a trite but fun song that Ive been singing the hook of since I heard it. I think it’ll be a nice fit as the opening song on the album as there seem to be weightier songs found later in the track listing. I think it succeeds in the ways it was intended to

‘ The Smiths were a great band and all, but at the moment, I’ve been really grooving on Morrissey’s new tune, it’s a cover, called ‘Morning Starship’ it’s really really fantastic!’

- Johnny Marr

:cool:

‘ The Smiths were a great band and all, but at the moment, I’ve been really grooving on Morrissey’s new tune, it’s a cover, called ‘Morning Starship’ it’s really really fantastic!’

- Johnny Marr

:cool:

Did he actually say that?

He must get f***ing bored, talking about the same old shit. Not that the The Smiths were shit. Far f***ing from it. But going over the same old bollocks in every interview? What a drag. He must have something to promote I guess.

I mean, The Smiths were a band from 30 something years ago. Can you imagine answering the same f***ing questions for 30+ years?

@johnnymarr Quit giving interviews man! Or at least quit answering questions related to The Smiths.

I don't like to be negative but Morrissey's voice is so good it is tragic that he isn't being handed top quality music. Although I loved LIHS and World Peace I can't help but think his potential is not allowed to reach his zenith. Like Superman being handed Keyptonite.

hqdefault.jpg

p.s. I'm still a massive Moz fan.

He'll have an album of his originals out soon. Have patience! I'll be honest, I'd prefer an album of originals over covers any day of the week, but it's kind of cool hearing him cover tracks that he likes.

Also, the music/musicians on World Peace and LIHS is/are f***ing great!

Here's that message again, for those who like to stick their fingers in their ears and listen to racists

Two things here:

1) It's not good, is it? It's a teddy-bear with the stuffing pulled out forced to try and auto-tune.

2) If you think it's good, are you disregarding all his right-wing bollocks? Or maybe that's why you like it, if you're the kind of unquestioning drone that he likes.

Here's that message again, for those who like to stick their fingers in their ears and listen to racists

Two things here:

1) It's not good, is it? It's a teddy-bear with the stuffing pulled out forced to try and auto-tune.

2) If you think it's good, are you disregarding all his right-wing bollocks? Or maybe that's why you like it, if you're the kind of unquestioning drone that he likes.

f*** off you far left arshole!

Two things here:

Everything ok grandad?

Two things here:

well heres the same troll rating,and here was me thinking Scandinavia was the home of mythical trolls and the biggest of all lives on here.

Tags
california son info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom