"Morning Starship" single (Jobriath cover) - Messages from Morrissey ~ available 20th March 2019

https://www.morrisseycentral.com/messagesfrommorrissey/morning-starship

Morning Starship.

March 20, 2019

Morrissey's single Morning Starship is available tomorrow - Wednesday 20 March, on iTunes and Spotify. It is a cover version of the song written and released by Jobriath in 1974. It is also the first track on Morrissey's California Son album, released on 24 May.

46763_Untitled_3_saoc49.png

Link posted by joe frady:

Last edited by a moderator:
voice is fantastic especially at the end.think this sounds better than the original.

I see anonymous isn't a fan,well what can you do.

...s'funny; but this was the cover í was both most looking forward to, and most nervous of.

it's the 'California Son' track that í am most intimately connected to, having adored the original, ever since my initiation on the Moz/NME 'Songs to Save Your Life' CD back in That Second Summer of Moz of 2004.

Morrissey has a far superior voice to Jobriath, and sings his song quite beautifully. The band and Chiccarelli's musical mise-en-scéne is deeply lovely, thrilling and buoyantly joyous {í particularly enjoyed the 'Ashes to Ashes' keyboard pads ~ a knowing nudge & wink to Bowie's Pierrot homagge to Jobriath in the video?}

But, í am afraid that it just can't touch the original: Jobriath's track was slyly and sneeringly sexy, with a sliver of sadness beneath. Morrissey's rendering is a tad more romantic and...chaste?
One almost feels that Morrissey is too respectful of the original, never quite having the heart (or balls) to reach it's heights (or depths).

But, early days friends; only listened a dozen or so times.

For now then, the next time that í feel that need for a searing/sweet ode to tumescence í shall be reaching for my tried and trueheart...Jobriath.

'Boom Boom Boom' indeed :yum:

ps ~ í would cut off my morning starship to hear M. take on Jobriath's "Inside" :hearteyes:

Your PS has pre-empted my question, Joe. Is morning starship a rather blatant euphemism? Must be my mind, but I find I can't hear it any other way...

Your PS has pre-empted my question, Joe. Is morning starship a rather blatant euphemism? Must be my mind, but I find I can't hear it any other way...

Yes ma'am.

A Rosy Fingered Dawn, as that Homer put it :p

It’s lovely though. Interesting with the updated twist and a modern drive to it.

Been a fan ever since 91 when I saw Alain and Gary holding it up on the My Love Life ep. Was such a strange image had to hunt that record down and any other info (like old rock magazines) that I can find articles on about Jobriath.

Though, I know what you’re saying about the original, there’s something special about it, that I don’t think could really be recreated.

Funny, the ‘Boom Boom Boom’ you hear M singing at the end, could be...

‘Boone Boone Boone’

or not.

:)

In 1974, Bruce Wayne Campbell, who legally changed his name to Jobriath Boone, attempted to be the first self-declared gay pop star...‘

http://culturecatch.com/film/jobriath-ad

...s'funny; but this was the cover í was both most looking forward to, and most nervous of.

it's the 'California Son' track that í am most intimately connected to, having adored the original, ever since my initiation on the Moz/NME 'Songs to Save Your Life' CD back in That Second Summer of Moz of 2004.

Morrissey has a far superior voice to Jobriath, and sings his song quite beautifully. The band and Chiccarelli's musical mise-en-scéne is deeply lovely, thrilling and buoyantly joyous {í particularly enjoyed the 'Ashes to Ashes' keyboard pads ~ a knowing nudge & wink to Bowie's Pierrot homagge to Jobriath in the video?}

But, í am afraid that it just can't touch the original: Jobriath's track was slyly and sneeringly sexy, with a sliver of sadness beneath. Morrissey's rendering is a tad more romantic and...chaste?
One almost feels that Morrissey is too respectful of the original, never quite having the heart (or balls) to reach it's heights (or depths).

But, early days friends; only listened a dozen or so times.

For now then, the next time that í feel that need for a searing/sweet ode to tumescence í shall be reaching for my tried and trueheart...Jobriath.

'Boom Boom Boom' indeed :yum:

ps ~ í would cut off my morning starship to hear M. take on Jobriath's "Inside" :hearteyes:

such cover
very stereo
WOW!

Sounds great. Oh pitchfork. Looking for ways to talk morrissey down. From a site that promotes homophobic rappers and lil loves the brilliance of lil peep

Well thanks for that! I thought it was just me! Can't believe nobody else has commented on it.

It usually is just you :brows:

But happy to help / United in filth :thumb:

I agree mostly... but I'm very happy that Moz is making these songs his own. He can't be a better Orbison than Orbison, nor can he be a better Jobriath than Jobriath. That's what I hate the most usually about covers, especially when I feel quite intimately about the original: when it's simply imitation- trying to get as close as one can to the original. I don't need a bargain bin Frankie Lymon when I can listen to the real one etc.

I don't think he was trying to reach the heights of Jobriath. He didn't attempt to have even a bit of the bite Jobriath has in this song. This isn't a tuppenny ha'penny Jobriath, it's Morrissey through and through, which is why I love it. I think it's marvelous.

It’s lovely though. Interesting with the updated twist and a modern drive to it.

Been a fan ever since 91 when I saw Alain and Gary holding it up on the My Love Life ep. Was such a strange image had to hunt that record down and any other info (like old rock magazines) that I can find articles on about Jobriath.

Though, I know what you’re saying about the original, there’s something special about it, that I don’t think could really be recreated.

Funny, the ‘Boom Boom Boom’ you hear M singing at the end, could be...

‘Boone Boone Boone’

or not.

:)

In 1974, Bruce Wayne Campbell, who legally changed his name to Jobriath Boone, attempted to be the first self-declared gay pop star...‘

http://culturecatch.com/film/jobriath-ad

‘Boone Boone Boone’

Sweet idea; í shall take that from now on, every time í listen :thumb:

í had thought that he might have been channeling his inner Basil Brush [{and that's not a euphemism}.

Vocals are superb, just amazed at how good he sounds. But once again, a lousy production mires the track, everything besides the vocal sounds dull, lazy and aggressively modern.

View attachment 48256
Françoise Hardy, filming on Exhibition Road in London, October 11, 1965.
Another 'instant grat' with mocked-up sleeve as there probably won't be a physical version.
It's not exactly the best bit of marketing for 4 products in less than 2 months, but hey...
Regards,
FWD.
Yeah I know but why go to the trouble of finding a beautiful photo only to slap on crap font as if dropped from a height blindfolded?

May be a earphone of some sort? She could be out shooting a video, don’t know, just guessing.

Pretty much; the fragrant Françoise was being filmed around London town for her French Christmas televison 'special' of 1965.

Tags
california son info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom