Morrissey’s China comments

S

Silent reader

Does anyone agree all this Coronavirus stuff, coupled with the persecution of Muslims & the Hong Kong situation, proves Mozzer was right all along? And perhaps the Guardian owe him an apology?

Spooky Mulder (for those with long memories)

Does anyone agree all this Coronavirus stuff, coupled with the persecution of Muslims & the Hong Kong situation, proves Mozzer was right all along? And perhaps the Guardian owe him an apology?

They do.

The important thing was the awful animal welfare conditions he was trying to highlight & they word policed for drama.

I doubt they'll think about it though.

You can criticise the practices of a particular country without racially insulting the entire population of that country. And what was he 'right' about? We've known for a long time that there are many things that go on in China which are fairly appalling. To mention that fact is hardly soothsaying.

You can criticise the practices of a particular country without racially insulting the entire population of that country. And what was he 'right' about? We've known for a long time that there are many things that go on in China which are fairly appalling. To mention that fact is hardly soothsaying.
Indeed. The OP is pretending like he's some sort of f***ing oracle, when all he did was slag off a nation.

He wasn't though. He was emphasising how horrible the footage was.

And if the press had made more of a deal about welfare, China may have taken action, since they care about their image.

And if the press had made more of a deal about welfare, China may have taken action, since they care about their image.
"The Chinese are a sub-species." You can emphasise how horrible something is without disparaging the entire population of a country.
He knew what he was saying. Or are you going to claim that someone who's made a decent living from his careful use of words was merely careless with his use of words?

"The Chinese are a sub-species." You can emphasise how horrible something is without disparaging the entire population of a country.
He knew what he was saying. Or are you going to claim that someone who's made a decent living from his careful use of words was merely careless with his use of words?

It was you can't help but feel & it was entirely about watching the footage. It wasn't literal.

He's not careful with words like a diplomat - he's evocative. His style is melodramatic & waspish.

If he hated an entire group of people he wouldn't express it in one sentence in 2010. With nothing before. And only a couple of dubious Covid puns on Central since.

Armitage [the interviewer] said Morrissey was typically and deliberately provocative throughout the interview.... "I'm not an apologist for that kind of remark, and couldn't ignore it. But clearly, when it comes to animal rights and animal welfare, he's absolutely unshakable in his beliefs. In his view, if you treat an animal badly, you are less than human. I think that was his point."

Exactly, and you know what it's called when someone does that? It's called RACISM.

Do you think The Guardian will apologise though? It's such a left leaning rag that ANY deviation from the dogmatic, metropolitan, liberal 'elite' line is met with dissent. You cannot criticise anyone (other than a Tory) no matter what they say/do.

Armitage [the interviewer] said Morrissey was typically and deliberately provocative throughout the interview.... "I'm not an apologist for that kind of remark, and couldn't ignore it. But clearly, when it comes to animal rights and animal welfare, he's absolutely unshakable in his beliefs. In his view, if you treat an animal badly, you are less than human. I think that was his point."

He could have told Morrissey that instead of dropping it into his copy & then wittering after it was made into a big news item.

I know an artistic director who told The Guardian he found it hard to think of the Chinese as real people because there was so many of them. He was about to tour a show there.

They didn't print it.

Do you think The Guardian will apologise though? It's such a left leaning rag that ANY deviation from the dogmatic, metropolitan, liberal 'elite' line is met with dissent. You cannot criticise anyone (other than a Tory) no matter what they say/do.

No, they only apologise if there's an immediate outcry or legal action.

They might quietly edit something online.

Or an individual might say it was overblown in a future Morrissey article. Possibly well into the future.

And I expect it'll be forgotten when he's dead & all his personal dramas get revealed.

Indeed. The OP is pretending like he's some sort of f***ing oracle, when all he did was slag off a nation.

What he did was highlight an issue that ended up impacting the entire world.

If people were more interested in that than in creating a drama it would have been better journalism.

It's especially irritating because it all stems from the NME Finsbury Park fabrication where hacks thought he was in the wrong for objecting to coins chucked at him by people calling him a poofy bastard.

They wouldn't have picked out a turn of phrase without that incident & without him falling out with the NME.

Last edited by a moderator:

He was doing both, if you're generous. If you're more cynical you might imagine a world where he was simply seeking attention and chose the word subspecies because he knew it had the racial connotations that would allow him to be martyred again.

It was you can't help but feel & it was entirely about watching the footage. It wasn't literal.

He's not careful with words like a diplomat - he's evocative. His style is melodramatic & waspish.

If he hated an entire group of people he wouldn't express it in one sentence in 2010. With nothing before. And only a couple of dubious Covid puns on Central since.
His "style" has gained him millions of fans because of his gift for language. You seem to grasp that "subspecies" was chosen deliberately to be "melodramatic" which is another way to say he was deliberately being provocative to gain attention. He was trolling which is what he does, a lot, and the word was very carefully selected.
You can't have it both ways.
And really if you would just kindly stfu maybe this thing that's already been discussed to death and never wins him any new fans could just go away. Get a hobby or something.

What he did was highlight an issue that ended up impacting the entire world.

If people were more interested in that than in creating a drama it would have been better journalism.

It's especially irritating because it all stems from the NME Finsbury Park fabrication where hacks thought he was in the wrong for objecting to coins chucked at him by people calling him a poofy bastard.

They wouldn't have picked out a turn of phrase without that incident & without him falling out with the NME.
No. Journalists are not to blame for "creating a drama" when that is exactly what Morrissey intended.

I had a veggie chop suey, fried rice, chips & Chinese gravy last night...twas luvverlee!😋 👍

His "style" has gained him millions of fans because of his gift for language. You seem to grasp that "subspecies" was chosen deliberately to be "melodramatic" which is another way to say he was deliberately being provocative to gain attention. He was trolling which is what he does, a lot, and the word was very carefully selected.
You can't have it both ways.
And really if you would just kindly stfu maybe this thing that's already been discussed to death and never wins him any new fans could just go away. Get a hobby or something.

No. Journalists are not to blame for "creating a drama" when that is exactly what Morrissey intended.

Why don't you get a job in the media, see how it operates & then stop talking out of your arse.

Why don't you get a job in the media, see how it operates & then stop talking out of your arse.
You do have to stop this trawling through really old news, regurgitating it in to every thread with some warped belief that it's helping Morrissey go forward. I've said this to you several times but you seem hellbent on pursuing this strange tactic, there's no benefit to Morrissey whatsoever.

saying "you cant help but feel" is a much different thing than saying "i think..". you can feel all sorts of things but know intellectually that they arent true. he wasnt talking about an ideology he held, he was talking about the visceral gut reaction you get when you see dogs being grilled alive.

it's sort of like when i hear someone starving their child to death, i feel that the person who did that should be put to death themselves, but i know that that would be wrong and something i ultimately would not want.

Back
Top Bottom