"Morrissey’s politics divide his LA fan base" - From Press Play (KCRW)

72cc456f-5f86-4fb2-b090-5d36393bf617.jpeg

Heard this live today on the radio program Press Play. Host Madeleine Brand interviews Melissa Hidalgo - author of “Mozlandia: Morrissey Fans in the Borderlands”. The 16 min segment can be heard at the link below:

Morrissey’s politics divide his LA fan base

Last edited:
The only huge ‘divide’ :rolleyes: exists in the mind of the media world where clickbait and keeping ones job is king.

Or there's just the people who love his music but not his views, so they don't invest in him personally and just enjoy the music. You know, normal, well-adjusted people... unlike Skinny and co.

People are embarrassed to talk about him now in Manchester. The continuous comment you will hear is “ I used to really like him but...”.
We'll yeah, him living in his ivory tower casting aspersion on other human beings for being born. Who have as much right to life as himself. Racism really sucks.

Or there's just the people who love his music but not his views, so they don't invest in him personally and just enjoy the music. You know, normal, well-adjusted people... unlike Skinny and co.

I love him, his music & the legacy (including The Smiths obv)...I don't give a damn about what he says, it doesn't influence what, or how, I think.

He hasn't pushed/foisted his thoughts onto anyone; they are there for people to read if they so wish &, ultimately, make their own choice about these types of things.

It really is that simple, & certainly no justification for people to go wetting their knickers, & getting hysterical about it all, like you see all too often on here...develop your own thoughts, & leave Moz to his.

Stop reading the Garudian
'Cos that shit contrives to frighten you
To make you feel small & alone
To make you feel that your mind isn't your own

unlike Skinny and co - those maladjusted types, you mean?

People are offended by what frightens them! Morrissey's commentary on life in America has been met with such a lack of understanding. I am not racist nor have I ever been or plan to be. Morrissey's comments reflect a lot of the way people feel in America. Not me, but a lot of people. Morrissey has never been scared to say what others are thinking, but fear to say. I will back this up with 2 points.

1) "That people ultimately prefer their own kind". What percentage of mixed race couples do we have in America? It is a very small amount around 17% as of 2015 and might have grown slightly. So I think it would be fair to say that strictly by the numbers, that what he is saying is correct. Just looking at the facts and figures. Now this has upset a lot of people. Are these people in the press crunching the numbers and really looking at what is being said? Or do they just brand him a racist because they are lazy and don't want to look at the real issues?

2) Immigration statement and For Britain Party. Go ask a lot of common people about immigration (older). You are not going to like what comes out of their mouth. Does that make them all racist because they don't want to let everyone into America? Again Morrissey is saying what people are thinking, but it's not popular. Trump got partly elected because of his stance on immigration. So their must be a whole hell of a lot of people who feel the same way as Morrissey.

Morrissey is a true artist in every sense of the way. When he leaves this earth we will celebrate him in the same way that we did Bowie (who supported the Nazi's for a bit of his career).

Remember when Sinead O'Connor spoke up about the priest and everyone said she was crazy and laughed at her?? Guess what, she was right!

:drama: devil's advocate

Last edited:
People are offended by what frightens them! Morrissey's commentary on life in America has been met with such a lack of understanding. I am not racist nor have I ever been or plan to be. Morrissey's comments reflect a lot of the way people feel in America. Not me, but a lot of people. Morrissey has never been scared to say what others are thinking, but fear to say. I will back this up with 2 points.

1) "That people ultimately prefer their own kind". What percentage of mixed race couples do we have in American? It is a very small amount around 17% as of 2015 and might have grown slightly. So I think it would be fair to say that strictly by the numbers, that what he is saying is correct. Just looking at the facts and figures. Now this has upset a lot of people. Are these people in the press crunching the numbers and really looking at what is being said? Or do they just brand him a racist because they are lazy and don't want to look at the real issues?

2) Immigration statement and For Britain Party. Go ask a lot of common people about immigration (older). You are not going to like what comes out of their mouth. Does that make them all racist because they don't want to let everyone into America? Again Morrissey is saying what people are thinking, but it's not popular. Trump got partly elected because of his stance on immigration. So their must be a whole hell of a lot of people who feel the same way as Morrissey.

Morrissey is a true artist in every sense of the way. When he leaves this earth we will celebrate him in the same way that we did Bowie (who supported the Nazi's for a bit of his career).

Remember when Sinead O'Connor spoke up about the priest and everyone said she was crazy and laughed at her?? Guess what, she was right!

Have you heard of Occam's Razor? Without over-analyzing the position, the simplest explanation is that he is now a far-right aggrandizing bigot. That explains all the things you wanted to explain.

1) "That people ultimately prefer their own kind". What percentage of mixed race couples do we have in American? It is a very small amount around 17% as of 2015 and might have grown slightly. So I think it would be fair to say that strictly by the numbers, that what he is saying is correct. Just looking at the facts and figures. Now this has upset a lot of people. Are these people in the press crunching the numbers and really looking at what is being said? Or do they just brand him a racist because they are lazy and don't want to look at the real issues?

Reasonable points & the same ones apply to here in UK, although to be pedantic, I think the correct quote is: “everyone ultimately prefers their own race.”...& I would agree with that.

By the same token, this is not to suggest that we don't like people of different race, it's just that we prefer people from our own race. If you were to ask people of various races who they'd prefer to spend time with, undoubtedly, it would be, in the main, someone from their own culture, background, ilk, whatever, which I think is only natural.

On immigration, the anti-immigration view is not confined to the older population. I think the feelings in the UK differ slightly to those held in the US. We're a small island, tiny in comparison to the US, so we have concerns which are services, schooling, healthcare, housing, & capacity-related. There's only so much wine you can get in a bottle after all. I'm not a racist either, but these things do concern me.

72cc456f-5f86-4fb2-b090-5d36393bf617.jpeg

Heard this live today on the radio program Press Play. Host Madeleine Brand interviews Melissa Hidalgo - author of “Mozlandia: Morrissey Fans in the Borderlands”. The 16 min segment can be heard at the link below:

Morrissey’s politics divide his LA fan base
You cannot divide. A rel fan myself. When I was a child listening to The Smiths. Music. In Mexico. Then. In the states I'm so happy to be alive and attending Morrissey and Mar. Performing. Wich I attend as many concerts as I can. Is so rewarding. It doesn't matter whatever negativity media and suckers Do trying to tarnish Morrissey s image. Is just a waste of your time losers!! I love Morrissey.!!!

Have you heard of Occam's Razor? Without over-analyzing [sic] the position, the simplest explanation is that he is now a far-right aggrandizing [sic] bigot. That explains all the things you wanted to explain.

No Pete, that's your explanation of your personal opinion...which, let's be quite frank, really doesn't hold much sway anywhere, least of all on here...you're just an internet sparring partner which we pick up & poke when we feel like it.

And as for Occam's Razor, it's important to remember that Occam's razor proves nothing.
I prefer explanations that are based on accurate evidence & accurate data (note the word 'accurate'...all you've got are dubious, out of context, press clippings from the Guardian, & of course your distorted world view.

As my old mate once said, 'Without data, you're just another person with an opinion', which you have just actually proved to be totally accurate.

So, without over-analysing the position, the simplest explanation is that you are a:
  • Self-aggrandising Bigot
  • Self-aggrandising Nazi
  • Self-aggrandising Narcissist
  • Self-aggrandising Fascist
  • Self-aggrandising Fantasist
  • Self-aggrandising far-left lobbyist

Why do people find racist immigrant Morrissey, the son of immigrants anti-immigrant views acceptable?
I find the lack of backlash from his American and Mexican fans especially puzzling.

Why do people find racist immigrant Morrissey, the son of immigrants anti-immigrant views acceptable?
I find the lack of backlash from his American and Mexican fans especially puzzling.

What are these, alleged, anti-immigrant views to which you refer?
Maybe we can discuss them, if you have them to hand.

I love him, his music & the legacy (including The Smiths obv)...I don't give a damn about what he says, it doesn't influence what, or how, I think.

He hasn't pushed/foisted his thoughts onto anyone; they are there for people to read if they so wish &, ultimately, make their own choice about these types of things.

It really is that simple, & certainly no justification for people to go wetting their knickers, & getting hysterical about it all, like you see all too often on here...develop your own thoughts, & leave Moz to his.

Stop reading the Garudian
'Cos that shit contrives to frighten you
To make you feel small & alone
To make you feel that your mind isn't your own

It’s refreshing to hear somebody talk rationally on here for a change.

A second rational post?

Am I on Morrissey-Solo or did I take a wrong turn sonewhere?

Bravo!

If only there were more people with some basic intelligence frequenting these threads.

Everyone instinctively prefers their own race. It's natural. Meanwhile this ungrateful low IQ immigrant wants to condemn Nationalism and Morrissey's views on border protection. Look what the policies her city of LA have produced. It's turning into a 3rd would country. I was there last summer. LA is a dumpster now

Last edited:
Have you heard of Occam's Razor? Without over-analyzing the position, the simplest explanation is that he is now a far-right aggrandizing bigot. That explains all the things you wanted to explain.

The poster made a reasonable argument backed up by evidence.

Your reply was poor.
You have such strongly held beliefs ,have faith in them then and ARGUE your point.

Here endeth the lesson.

BooYa!

Everyone instinctively prefers their own race. It's natural. Meanwhile this ungrateful low IQ immigrant wants to condemn Nationalism and Morrissey's views on border protection. Look what the policies of her city of LA have produced. It's turning into a 3rd would country. I was there last summer. LA is a dumpster now
if you go to any American prison and you don't choose your own race, well your getting stabbed before lunchtime,crazy to say but that is the reality.

Tags
for britain kcrw latino los angeles morrissey racism
Back
Top Bottom