Morrissey 2020 airplay disaster - the stats are here

Here it is, folks.
'Compare my Radio' compiles the songs played on all the national BBC (and other major) radio stations over the last month.
What is there for Morrissey? One single song gets played once!
Unbelievable.
'Once I saw the River Clean' is the song in question, and it got played once on Radio 2.
Remember at the time, someone round here mentioned that this was just the start and would probably get moved to the playlist proper. Fat chance!
Jesse T and Joe C even tweeted about it!
Wonder who at the BBC decided they had to stop playing him (virtually) completely.
I know Vanessa Feltz (a presenter and one of the highest paid employees at the BBC) absolutely hates Morrissey, and said she used to cringe whenever she had to play his songs. Maybe she had a word with the management. It's all rather bizarre...

It's not brownie points, dude, it's the (commercial) bottom line. Radio airplay is the energy that powers album sales. Pre-2018, the main Morrissey-friendly radio stations (and there are a few in the UK) would have A-listed Bobby and Knockabout World. He would have easily been looking at total album sales of around 40-000-50,000. An artist who can sell that many is going to appeal to a fair few record companies.
Without any airplay at all, he struggles to sell 10,000 (even if the songs are great). It's almost impossible to get a deal which will fund a professionally made album when you're selling so few 'units'.
The implication of this is that there are people at the BBC actively trying to call time on Morrissey. I’d say that’s true—and it has been for longer than anyone seems to want to admit.

I might mention that I briefly met Jo Wiley in 1997, at a Verve gig (the comeback one, in Hammersmith I think). Having agreed to play a request, she immediately declined when I asked for the newly released Alma Matters. When Morrissey thanked her a couple of years ago, for the brief slot he was given, I did think “with friends like her ...”.

The amount of variables at play over the last 40 years within the radio industry, the charts as a whole coupled with the change in how music is engaged with and factors that come from fans and Morrissey himself all have a bearing on things like this. The BBC is rife with internal changes and pressures too - more so than ever. It's far too complicated a broad topic to narrow down to one thing as the exact causation of any perceived consequences/agendas towards Morrissey.
You can get what you want from statistics : you can look at the OP link and say: Absolute Radio (2.3 million listeners per week) have played a Morrissey song almost 30 times in 30 days. You can say: Kerrang played Suedehead once in 30 days - how odd. You can also look at Spotify listening figures and say: people might consume music differently these days or Morrissey does quite well on Spotify... and so on.
That doesn't deny the lack of BBC attention, but I'm not convinced that every and any other 60 year old artist gets instant Radio 6 or 2 airplay.
(Insert rant about statistics here).
Regards,
FWD.

if fat f*** vanessa feltz says your out,your out.who listens to radio these days,i haven't for a long long long time.the very fact that feltz who had a breakdown on big brother is a long time dj and general bore means my radio button is in the off position,also Richard bacon,ex-junkie is now a political heavyweight,this is a guy who pushed a child out of shot on the big breakfast,no wonder the government wants to get rid of the licence fee.
This is like a Daily Mail comment if they allowed swearing. :D

The amount of variables at play over the last 40 years within the radio industry, the charts as a whole coupled with the change in how music is engaged with and factors that come from fans and Morrissey himself all have a bearing on things like this. The BBC is rife with internal changes and pressures too - more so than ever. It's far too complicated a broad topic to narrow down to one thing as the exact causation of any perceived consequences/agendas towards Morrissey.
You can get what you want from statistics : you can look at the OP link and say: Absolute Radio (2.3 million listeners per week) have played a Morrissey song almost 30 times in 30 days. You can say: Kerrang played Suedehead once in 30 days - how odd. You can also look at Spotify listening figures and say: people might consume music differently these days or Morrissey does quite well on Spotify... and so on.
That doesn't deny the lack of BBC attention, but I'm not convinced that every and any other 60 year old artist gets instant Radio 6 or 2 airplay.
(Insert rant about statistics here).
Regards,
FWD.
Very good points FWD. I don't know the stats but Absolute Radio also play The Smiths so not all doom and gloom. That said the ignoring of Dog On A Chain by the bulk of BBC Radio is actually disgraceful given Morrissey's reputation & stature as an artist.

Here it is, folks.
'Compare my Radio' compiles the songs played on all the national BBC (and other major) radio stations over the last month.
What is there for Morrissey? One single song gets played once!
Unbelievable.
'Once I saw the River Clean' is the song in question, and it got played once on Radio 2.
Remember at the time, someone round here mentioned that this was just the start and would probably get moved to the playlist proper. Fat chance!
Jesse T and Joe C even tweeted about it!
Wonder who at the BBC decided they had to stop playing him (virtually) completely.
I know Vanessa Feltz (a presenter and one of the highest paid employees at the BBC) absolutely hates Morrissey, and said she used to cringe whenever she had to play his songs. Maybe she had a word with the management. It's all rather bizarre...
I'd be gobsmacked if anyone was taking advice from Fuzzy Feltz and I include listeners in that, she does the graveyard shift at Radio 2 and you'd have to be insane to listen to that fat boot!

I see. So you only like the stuff that, however factual, portrays your hero in a good light?

I didn't say that. I just think it's odd for someone to have obtained that (not massively interesting) information then written about it so gleefully on a fan forum.

I didn't say that. I just think it's odd for someone to have obtained that (not massively interesting) information then written about it so gleefully on a fan forum.
But conversely, being no.1 in Poland or some other territory - something one would have to seek out - and posting that here - that's acceptable? I'm trying to figure out if it's the obscurity/difficulty in obtaining information you deprecate, or the fact that the info is not so complimentary about the chap you like?

Empty headed loud DJs could help make the world a better place if they stopped talking absolute bollox for 3 or 4 minutes a day and played a Moz song instead. Why anyone ever listens to the radio is beyond me. You'd want to have no self respect to allow those bloated tongues to fill your ears with excrement from their arses. I'd prefer to listen to a dog howling.

But conversely, being no.1 in Poland or some other territory - something one would have to seek out - and posting that here - that's acceptable? I'm trying to figure out if it's the obscurity/difficulty in obtaining information you deprecate, or the fact that the info is not so complimentary about the chap you like?
The word "conversely" adds nothing to your sentence and actually just breaks the flow. The way you write is like a desperate attempt to make someone think you're intelligent.

There are plenty of stories published on here that I have no interest in. My point with this one is the glee with which it was written. On a Morrissey FANSITE. I think it's funny that someone would take the time to do that. It's a bit creepy that they would be taking any notice of that information if they don't like Morrissey and it's really clutching at straws in an attempt to make him look bad. 'I know Vanessa feltz absolutely hates Morrissey'.... ha ha ha.

If Vanessa Felch liked Morrissey, I would be devastated.

I see. So you like to hang around on fan sites of people that you do not like. Very interesting, your life must be trash.

I think we can all vouch for that, even poor old Uncle Foreskin himself.

Boohoo. Morrissey brought this on him self. With his drink induced, racist rants and wearing right wing party badges on TV.

He will never receive radio play again and his next album, if there is one, will, again, spend one week on the UK charts. And will chart nowhere else again. Except Poland.

A dead star.

Tags
i am not a dog on a chain info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom