'Morrissey 25: Live' review by Peter Bradshaw (4/5 stars) - The Guardian

Look, I've no axe to grind either way, but supposition is no real starting point for establishing a position. Either 'they' did or 'they' didn't criticise him for 'refusing' to play Smiths tracks, not just probably. It's a very weak statement indeed.

P.

My point is a section of people will criticise him no matter what he does, when he didn't play smiths songs he should have, when he does play smiths songs he's a tribute act. Most fans who go to see an artist/ band who have been on the go for a long time want to hear their favourite songs no matter how old those songs are, rather than new material which probably isn't as good.i am thinking of the stones, the cure, Bowie, but they're not called greatest hits acts, why should morrissey be any different?

My point is a section of people will criticise him no matter what he does, when he didn't play smiths songs he should have, when he does play smiths songs he's a tribute act. Most fans who go to see an artist/ band who have been on the go for a long time want to hear their favourite songs no matter how old those songs are, rather than new material which probably isn't as good.i am thinking of the stones, the cure, Bowie, but they're not called greatest hits acts, why should morrissey be any different?

You've completely missed my point. Whether people criticised Morrissey for whatever reason is beside the point. My point was establishing a position based on supposition, as my previous post stated, is plainly ridiculous.

P.

You've completely missed my point. Whether people criticised Morrissey for whatever reason is beside the point. My point was establishing a position based on supposition, as my previous post stated, is plainly ridiculous.

P.

I didn't miss your point I just don't think it's relevant to any discussion regarding morrissey25 or anything regarding morrissey for that matter, this isn't an English grammer test you know

The theater in my town, Sedona, where the film is showing, is owned by and used exclusively to host films promoted and funded by the Sedona Film Festival. It only has one screen. The sound system is top notch. Most of the viewers to this theater are Sedona Film Festival members with season passes. Now this is a small town of about 10,000. And the members aren't exactly young hipsters but more like senior citizens. And because Phoenix which is a two hour drive from Sedona, and Flagtstaff—an hour away, are both showing the film, I can't imagine the audience on the 29th will consist of anything but locals. And this is troubling as I know of only one other Moz fan in the area. And she lives in the apartment below me. I have a strange feeling I am going to be watching this film alone, if you know what I mean. It's doubtful I will be fighting any cane wielding gents for the best seat in the house.

Hahah. That sounds like an interesting and possibly quite funny setup for watching the movie. Maybe many of the seniors will go because they are members, regardless of knowing who Moz is :lbf:

I'm seeing it in the city, in Chelsea. It should be a pretty good crowd. I'm hoping it's full of energy. :D

I just hope after all these (mostly bad:tears:) reviews, the movie does reasonably well and surprises everyone!

Thank you for the 'psychotic group think cult revenge on heretic' scenario. Maybe Moz will use it as a video story-board for "Boy's A Looker". He could sit on a throne whilst his 'apostles and disciples' roast the troll-heretics like Brummieboy. But could he stand the smell of burning human flesh? We are, after all, animals. Tell me, Shridan Whiteside: are you a real devotee? Do you eat meat? Dairy? Wear leather? Are you trapped within Carnism? I'm not little. I'm 6ft 2ins and built like a brick shit house. I'm not unhappy either. I'm very, very happy to be alive, to be well, and to be able to irritate the fcuk out of "clueless consumers" of the Indie-Pop Idol Morrissey. Deal with it. Beeeeeatch!

You are welcome for the scenario! However you choose to see it. Turn a simple image into whatever suits you. I like your idea regarding the story-board. Except Morrissey would have to change the name of the song from, 'The kid's a looker' to something like, 'That b Boy's a bastard'.
So by your logic, a "real" devotee of Morrissey must be a vegan/vegetarian, & be disgusted by the mere sight of leather, let alone wear it then eh? Do they also have to have a vested interest in Oscar Wilde and be able to recite his works on demand? They also must have an extreme hatred of the Royal family, Thatcher, and Duck Dynasty to be recognized as well right? Would it really matter to you what my response would be? Of course not. If I say I do not eat meat, nor wear leather, you will say I am either a liar or a poser. If I say I had visited Paris, and went to Pere Lachaise, of course my only reason was to see Oscar Wilde's grave, weather I am a reader of his works or not, is because Morrissey likes him. Therefore, I am not going to answer the questions so I can arm you with ammunition so you can try an attack my person. Anyway, its none of your f***ing business. I certainly do not need to justify to you my depth of devotion, or however you choose to refer to it as. I have stated in past posts my affinity for Morrissey, and that should be enough. even for you, but nice try.
Of course you are happy. Why wouldn't you be? Do you think you are the only 53 year old man who can only get his jollies and sense of self worth by spending countless hours on a fan site trying his level best to make others feel bad so you can feel good? Wait... scratch that. Of course you are. What a sight you must be. Balancing your laptop and a can of Diet Coke simultaneously atop your enormous belly in a pair of your very best soiled underwear just waiting for that next thread so you can speed-clack away at the keypad so you make sure not to miss the chance to try and annoy someone. Wooooh! Hot stuff indeed! The brick shit house I certainly believe, but we don't need to know exactly what your dwelling looks or smells like.
So keep on doing your thing. If you derive some bit of morbid satisfaction in the thought that you are actually making an impression on anyone, please proceed with your half witted posts. They are nothing if not entertaining, but please ease up on the tween talk. "Beeeeach"! For God sake.
Oh, I forgot, all men in their 50's use words like 'hollaback' and 'beeeach'. Pathetic men in their 50's.

Best of luck.

You are welcome for the scenario! However you choose to see it. Turn a simple image into whatever suits you. I like your idea regarding the story-board. Except Morrissey would have to change the name of the song from, 'The kid's a looker' to something like, 'That b Boy's a bastard'.
So by your logic, a "real" devotee of Morrissey must be a vegan/vegetarian, & be disgusted by the mere sight of leather, let alone wear it then eh? Do they also have to have a vested interest in Oscar Wilde and be able to recite his works on demand? They also must have an extreme hatred of the Royal family, Thatcher, and Duck Dynasty to be recognized as well right? Would it really matter to you what my response would be? Of course not. If I say I do not eat meat, nor wear leather, you will say I am either a liar or a poser. If I say I had visited Paris, and went to Pere Lachaise, of course my only reason was to see Oscar Wilde's grave, weather I am a reader of his works or not, is because Morrissey likes him. Therefore, I am not going to answer the questions so I can arm you with ammunition so you can try an attack my person. Anyway, its none of your f***ing business. I certainly do not need to justify to you my depth of devotion, or however you choose to refer to it as. I have stated in past posts my affinity for Morrissey, and that should be enough. even for you, but nice try.
Of course you are happy. Why wouldn't you be? Do you think you are the only 53 year old man who can only get his jollies and sense of self worth by spending countless hours on a fan site trying his level best to make others feel bad so you can feel good? Wait... scratch that. Of course you are. What a sight you must be. Balancing your laptop and a can of Diet Coke simultaneously atop your enormous belly in a pair of your very best soiled underwear just waiting for that next thread so you can speed-clack away at the keypad so you make sure not to miss the chance to try and annoy someone. Wooooh! Hot stuff indeed! The brick shit house I certainly believe, but we don't need to know exactly what your dwelling looks or smells like.
So keep on doing your thing. If you derive some bit of morbid satisfaction in the thought that you are actually making an impression on anyone, please proceed with your half witted posts. They are nothing if not entertaining, but please ease up on the tween talk. "Beeeeach"! For God sake.
Oh, I forgot, all men in their 50's use words like 'hollaback' and 'beeeach'. Pathetic men in their 50's.

Best of luck.

Oh, how I LOL'd! Thank you for that hilarious screed.

"What a sight you must be. Balancing your laptop and a can of Diet Coke simultaneously atop your enormous belly in a pair of your very best soiled underwear just waiting for that next thread so you can speed-clack away at the keypad so you make sure not to miss the chance to try and annoy someone."

You could have saved a lot of typing by finding a picture of me "in Mom's basement" on Google, or a nice GIF. This site is famous for witty ping-backs using images. How often do I get called a 'troll' for debunking the cult? Do I care? Not one iota? Why do I do it? Because it amuses me to.

"please ease up on the tween talk. "Beeeeach"! For God sake. Oh, I forgot, all men in their 50's use words like 'hollaback' and 'beeeach'. Pathetic men in their 50's."

Louie Spence, although he's late forties. Elton John. And Morrissey. All andropausal men who all use catty, bitchy 'tween' insults, it's just Morrissey is rubbish at it with his endless 'puns' on the Beckams, Jamie Horrible and all that crap. No wonder he was isolated as a teenager if that was his level of fetch. He tries to be a Mean Girl but he ain't got the chops. Unlike me. Why is camp subversion 'pathetic' for men in their 50s? Are you homophobic/transphobic? Are you layering a heteronormative meta-narrative on my comments? Are you assuming I want to be 'one of the lads' and given kudos by the deer hunters and jocks here or anywhere else? I deconstruct gender, and language is a great way to do it if I can't just 'hand jazz' to annoy the beer monsters in the pub/club, whilst I subject them to objectifying sexualised 'Look' and 'Gaze'. A tactic of hierarchical Othering which they feel they can do with impunity to women but go bat-shit crazy if I have some fun ogling them. It's a favourite sport. But I can do uber-Alpha Male when it turns me on. Only I don't, because I'm tired of women treating me as just a sex object and ignoring my mind.

I pleased for you that you have wide cultural references and influences and Morrissey was certainly innovative in that respect, bringing curated playlists of films, books and music to an audience in a structured, studied way rather than as an ad-hoc aside. However, in an age when we all have our blogs, playlists and social media plug-ins to Spotify, Good Reads, Rotten Tomatoes: there are numerous amateur cultural auteurs out there who are just as worthwhile to investigate as Morrissey. He was a playlist generator before the Interwebz existed. It was interesting, exciting and refreshing, even if to uber-cool hipsters like me there was little that was entirely fresh. Of course, Morrissey claims not to use social media so is presumably unaware of all this, imagining he is still in a privileged position to communicate from corporate communication channels like the NME and EMI to a pliant, compliant consumer base. Well, those days are gone. Morrissey's 'fans' and his Audience are far more interesting as a phenomenon that he is now. Unless he goes on 'a journey', a steep learning curve, he will continue to think he has the Hegemony Of The Stage without realising his performances are just micro-data for social media experts to use as part of their meta-narratives on culture: which is exactly what he did with Wilde, James Dean and all the rest of it.

"except Morrissey would have to change the name of the song from, 'The kid's a looker' to something like, 'That b Boy's a bastard'.

Oh, he's written about me before so that wouldn't surprise me: "there's always someone with a big nose, who knows....." etc. He was warned to moderate his propaganda outbursts or he was be taken down by the 'hidden ones' who cleared the pathway for that sweet young man to escape the small stages of Mosely and the Rock Garden. If he continues to affront taste and decency then he will be challenged: for his own good.

I hope this is helpful to you. Please continue to enjoy your journey of exploration through the art of Morrissey. It's certainly a roller-coaster! Now, I must put down my Diet Coke, struggle my obese frame into my kitchenette: and then cook a lovely vegan feast for my family Sunday lunchtime. It's always special and today we have friends arriving. Imagine if they knew I was one of those awful internet 'trolls'? Actually, my friends are part of this, we're an arts collective. There is no 'Brummieboy'. But let's not go there again after the Olympics meltdown threads last summer. Now, that was fun!!

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom