"Morrissey 25: Live" review by Robbie Collin (1/5 stars) - The Telegraph

The comments section for that article was more informative and amusing than the article itself! Ha!

- - - Updated - - -

Of all of the beautiful pictures of Moz in existence, these rags deliberately use the most unflattering picture they can find.

It could have been worse (though I don't know how) BUT they could have posted an "eating picture" (you know, that picture someone snaps as someone is about to take a bite of food and their face is all screwed up, their eyes are closed, and their mouth is open)- these, by the way- are ILLEGAL in my family!

I think Robbie Collin's motive is to go on the offense because he knows he's a callous meat eater and you know how threatened meat eaters are of animal activists. You know it.

VIVA MOZ-A-ROO. :thumb:

Obviously jealous of morrissey, no one writes such rubbish without a motive

Having heard Snr. Collin's recent stint on Radio 4's Film programme, it's clear he's a witless bore of the first water. They may as well have got Kirsty Gallacher to have covered during the school holidays. Her breezy brand of bizarre wrongly-inflected bumblings would have at least been understandable coming from someone who's not primarily a film journalist.

Cannot help but agree with the Telegraph. A film celebrating 25 years could have cleverly intercut archive footage from the time of Viva Hate right through to now. Hulmerist was made at a time when Morrissey cared about putting out something clever, worthwhile and interesting. This is footage of an old man 'pacing the stage dressed like a hairdresser on a package tour'. Brutal - but true.

1) Are there ANY good concert films? Stop Making Sense comes close to acceptable perhaps.
2) Film reviewers won't regard straight concert films as "proper" films.
3) Morrissey polarises opinion in real life, so there's no reason to think things will be any different on film.

1] "Woodstock"
2] Concerts have a plot. They begin, continue, and end. It's a niche area of Film Studies, but no serious critic would disregard them as improper.
3] Indeed. That's why this site is first point of call for journos to crib and tap the 'street' reaction to Moz. Saves some of them the time of thinking things through themselves.

The film is a 'snapshot' of a point in space and time. Without the wider context of the 'karma dramas' from Moz's discraceful diss of Kate Middleton through to his mother's illness, and then his own-this film might seem extraneous and a pointless navel-gazing exercise. However, if Morrissey drops dead today, then it will be totally re-evaluated as the swan-song of a troubled, poorly soul. I hope Moz doesn't pop his clogs and I sincerely hope this film bookmarks and ends a rather depressing and torpid period of his public life which began after Rome. The obsessive-compulsive touring schedule to prove he's 'still in the fight' and to solicit adoration from his enabling cult fans will make this film essential viewing for me. People should note that Moz failed to provide large screens at the Manchester UK Cult Convention last year. Some folk were so far back they could barely see what was going on. Pin-sharp footage like this film is surely preferable to that, or to being trapped amidst the crazed cult elite who are part of The List. The preview of "Everyday Is Like Sunday" is leaden and dull. Perhaps the whole concert is a smug-fest of mutual back-slapping between the 'fan'-atics and the soi-disant 'star'. Even if it is, it's a valid diary entry for posterity. Who knows where this end? It's not just Moz. Leonard Cohen has seriously lost the plot with excessive touring and shabby treatment of concert patrons. Having destroyed recorded music by failing to address Download P2P culture, Big Music now has it's fangs in the concert arena and will ruin that soon with excessive ticket prices and 'convenience charges'. It perturbs me that Moz is on some sort of strike/holdout to be embraced by these vipers yet again, rather than find a new pathway. So much for 'radical', so much for the young man arguing with Rough Trade about their lack of ambition...what ambition does Moz have now, other than to be adored by the freak zone in the first ten rows?

regards.

And no one here will ever change the way Morrissey does his either. No one. Thank God.

In any other context, absolute refusal to evaluate social feedback is classed as a psychological personality disorder. Supposedly, 'genius' ex-pop stars who troll social media with gratuitously inflammatory outbursts are excused from consensual reality? That's a recipe for sociopathy. Whilst one might be in the lap of luxuria and able to live in 5*Star luxury with an army of paid flunkies fluffing your every bizarre opinion, at some stage Reality intervenes. The options are to negotiate with reality or retreat to a gated, guarded solipsistic isolation, which is the very boring and redundant 'go-to' strategy of every loser 'star' in the Hollywood Cultural-Military Complex for nearly a century. It's very tired, very boring. And very lazy. Oh, and the 'doomed diva' trope of Piath, Garland, Cobain and Garland is just as tiresome, just as conventional, and totally redundant in these turbulent opening decades of the C21st. At some stage 'someone' will emerge with an appropriate response to the exhaustion within pop culture. It's looking increasingly unlikely that Moz will rise to these challenges. But, you never know. I hope you are wrong and that Moz escapes the ever-decreasing circles of hell that is the downward spiral of his decreasing cult following. He always claimed he wanted a mass audience to change human culture-playing to mirror-image misfits in an endless loop of substandard demos is a whimper ending, not a bang. Still, he might drop dead today. So might I. So might you. Hopefully, none of us.

regards.

I think Robbie Collin's motive is to go on the offense because he knows he's a callous meat eater and you know how threatened meat eaters are of animal activists. You know it.

VIVA MOZ-A-ROO. :thumb:

Callous Dairy and egg eaters are also subject to 'managed interventions' by animal activists. You know it.

Viva PETA!....and 'Compassion In World Farming'. And 'Ahimsa' and 'Food Nation' Slaughter-Free Milk and Eggs. Viva Liz Jones!

Hang on! Russell Brand's a Hare Krishna dude and reads these boards voraciously. Hey, Russell! WTF? Why ain't you vibing up Ahimsa milk and eggs with Whole Food Inc? Get you and Moz's lazy arses into gear. Forget about 'Duck Dynasty' losers and promote a more positive future food agenda. Russell, call me if you need help with the Vision Thing or the Mission Statement stuff. I'm busy but I'll fit you in so long as you're serious about Ahimsa. Namaste.

Will Moz's next Tour Rider be Vegan? Get TMZ on the case. Or Smoking Gun...

Having heard Snr. Collin's recent stint on Radio 4's Film programme, it's clear he's a witless bore of the first water. They may as well have got Kirsty Gallacher to have covered during the school holidays. Her breezy brand of bizarre wrongly-inflected bumblings would have at least been understandable coming from someone who's not primarily a film journalist.

The world is full of crashing bores, none more so than Morrissey's censorious devotees who police the perceptions of their cult leader. Crashing bores, but very, very funny to observe here, and in the wild at concerts.

Cannot help but agree with the Telegraph. A film celebrating 25 years could have cleverly intercut archive footage from the time of Viva Hate right through to now. Hulmerist was made at a time when Morrissey cared about putting out something clever, worthwhile and interesting. This is footage of an old man 'pacing the stage dressed like a hairdresser on a package tour'. Brutal - but true.

Channel 4 can now go ahead and film an updated documentary "The un-importance of being Morrissey the bitter and twisted".
How is this film going to make any money or do anything positive ?
Anybody recommend anything decent to listen to ? I need to hoover my head of this idiot and remove all trace of him and his solo strange behaviour.

Benny-the-Butcher

So here we go again eh? Time to get some new material brummieboy. Again with the: 'bizarre cult leader' comment. If you insist on posting a comment to every thread, at least come up with some new analogies. Out of morbid curiosity, (and the fact that I knew you would post the same comment more or less on this thread just like the others regarding a review of Morrissey 25 Live) I decided to see if you were here and... what a surprise! Here you are.
Also, I thought I was the one 'monopolizing' and 'policing' the discussions. Now its grant gauld?
Make up your mind, and/or cough up some new thoughts.

Re: "Morrissey 25: Live" review by Robbie Collin (1/5 stars) - The Telegraph

So here we go again eh? Time to get some new material brummieboy. Again with the: 'bizarre cult leader' comment. If you insist on posting a comment to every thread, at least come up with some new analogies. Out of morbid curiosity, (and the fact that I knew you would post the same comment more or less on this thread just like the others regarding a review of Morrissey 25 Live) I decided to see if you were here and... what a surprise! Here you are.
Also, I thought I was the one 'monopolizing' and 'policing' the discussions. Now its grant gauld?
Make up your mind, and/or cough up some new thoughts.

I have no interest the names of individual cult casualties. It's not an analogy, it's a verifiable proposition. Morrissey openly cultivates dysfunctional fandom and repeatedly claims that the main value in his life is gained from an anonymous horde of paying customers. He also seems to be a proponent of magical thinking and ideological confusion, especially in relation to Carnism. In this respect, he is very cult-leader: paranoidly imagining vast swathes of enemies and less intelligent and moral beings, yet failing to check his own privilege and hierarchical assumptions. The 'Hegemony Of The Voice' above other instruments, the 'Hegemony of Lyrics over Rythmn and Melody", the Hegemony of The Stage over The Audience- it's all the trappings of the discredited 'star making machinery behind the popular song'. The 'radical' artists that Morrissey links to increasingly seem like cool hipster confetti. In an age of blogs and curated playlists, anyone can do that. It's just a snob-fest. Please feel free to put me on 'ignore' but may I politely request that you desist from molesting my eyes with your foolish hollabacks. I really not interested in cult projections and defense strategies. I'm here to rescue every trapped cult victim: especially my old mate Moz...

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for thinking I was being original. I made a good point too didn't I?

you go girl! don't let the haters stop you from the cut and paste function. Googling lyrics in Goole (i know, you live in an upscale new-build estate, but you know what I mean). Still got your own phone company up there?

1] "Woodstock"
2] Concerts have a plot. They begin, continue, and end. It's a niche area of Film Studies, but no serious critic would disregard them as improper.
3] Indeed. That's why this site is first point of call for journos to crib and tap the 'street' reaction to Moz. Saves some of them the time of thinking things through themselves.

The film is a 'snapshot' of a point in space and time. Without the wider context of the 'karma dramas' from Moz's discraceful diss of Kate Middleton through to his mother's illness, and then his own-this film might seem extraneous and a pointless navel-gazing exercise. However, if Morrissey drops dead today, then it will be totally re-evaluated as the swan-song of a troubled, poorly soul. I hope Moz doesn't pop his clogs and I sincerely hope this film bookmarks and ends a rather depressing and torpid period of his public life which began after Rome. The obsessive-compulsive touring schedule to prove he's 'still in the fight' and to solicit adoration from his enabling cult fans will make this film essential viewing for me. People should note that Moz failed to provide large screens at the Manchester UK Cult Convention last year. Some folk were so far back they could barely see what was going on. Pin-sharp footage like this film is surely preferable to that, or to being trapped amidst the crazed cult elite who are part of The List. The preview of "Everyday Is Like Sunday" is leaden and dull. Perhaps the whole concert is a smug-fest of mutual back-slapping between the 'fan'-atics and the soi-disant 'star'. Even if it is, it's a valid diary entry for posterity. Who knows where this end? It's not just Moz. Leonard Cohen has seriously lost the plot with excessive touring and shabby treatment of concert patrons. Having destroyed recorded music by failing to address Download P2P culture, Big Music now has it's fangs in the concert arena and will ruin that soon with excessive ticket prices and 'convenience charges'. It perturbs me that Moz is on some sort of strike/holdout to be embraced by these vipers yet again, rather than find a new pathway. So much for 'radical', so much for the young man arguing with Rough Trade about their lack of ambition...what ambition does Moz have now, other than to be adored by the freak zone in the first ten rows?

regards.

OK. Sorry, I cant help myself now. As if your CONSTANT, and I mean constant, descrambling of every fans opinion that doesn't take your fancy wasn't enough to make people sick, now you insist on pretending that you have figured out not only Morrissey's ambition in whole, but you have managed to evaluate the FANS and concert goers that occupy the first ten rows of his shows. AS we all now, you are the ultimate non-fan. Oh sorry, Member of the Audience, the total and complete voice of reason, a well read, genius of geniuses, and the only one whos words are worth reading, but now, you have figured out what makes Morrissey tick, and have a pulse on the people who have the closest view of your anti-hero that only the mums and dads could hope for. My God, how lucky we all are to have you among us.
Are you laughing yet? Because I am. Please take up tennis or biscuit making in your spare-spare time, and leave a threat or two alone if you can. Your pointless rants are becoming, (sorry...ARE) passé. Old. You are like a Chatty-Kathy Doll, only you pull your own string.
take a break.

I have no interest the names of individual cult casualties. It's not an analogy, it's a verifiable proposition. Morrissey openly cultivates dysfunctional fandom and repeatedly claims that the main value in his life is gained from an anonymous horde of paying customers. He also seems to be a proponent of magical thinking and ideological confusion, especially in relation to Carnism. In this respect, he is very cult-leader: paranoidly imagining vast swathes of enemies and less intelligent and moral beings, yet failing to check his own privilege and hierarchical assumptions. The 'Hegemony Of The Voice' above other instruments, the 'Hegemony of Lyrics over Rythmn and Melody", the Hegemony of The Stage over The Audience- it's all the trappings of the discredited 'star making machinery behind the popular song'. The 'radical' artists that Morrissey links to increasingly seem like cool hipster confetti. In an age of blogs and curated playlists, anyone can do that. It's just a snob-fest. Please feel free to put me on 'ignore' but may I politely request that you desist from molesting my eyes with your foolish hollabacks. I really not interested in cult projections and defense strategies. I'm here to rescue every trapped cult victim: especially my old mate Moz...

- - - Updated - - -

you go girl! don't let the haters stop you from the cut and paste function. Googling lyrics in Goole (i know, you live in an upscale new-build estate, but you know what I mean). Still got your own phone company up there?

Yep, good ol' cut and paste. Typing it all out from memory would be like taking the stairs when these a perfectly good lift.

KC is doing quite well. We're the only city to have beige telephone boxes unlike the traditional red ones scattered over the country.

- - - Updated - - -

Cant just answer the question can you? If you cant take the rebuttals, sounds like you should ignore me.
Hollabacks? Oh, Hi Gwen. How are you?

Hull City Limits

Yep, good ol' cut and paste. Typing it all out from memory would be like taking the stairs when these a perfectly good lift.

KC is doing quite well. We're the only city to have beige telephone boxes unlike the traditional red ones scattered over the country.

I think Dr Who should relocate from Cardiff to Hull. The beige phone boxes would confuse both the Americans and most Brits who remain unaware of Hull's 'singular culture'. LOL! Hull is very apocalyptic and post-industrial. And 'Goole' is the best town name ever. Moz should play in Goole. And beautiful. I pass through now and then visiting York and Scarborough where an artist I admire lives. If you're working today, I hope it's going well. My son was going to do a Graphic Design degree but I persuaded him to do Philosophy to become a Marine Of The Mind. He can pick up Graphic Design as an Intern during his summer holidays.

regards.

Last edited:
Re: Hull City Limits

I think Dr Who should relocate from Cardiff to Hull. The beige phone boxes would confuse both the Americans and most Brits who remain unaware of Hull's 'singular culture'. LOL! Hull is very apocalyptic and post-industrial. And 'Goole' is the best town name ever. Moz should play in Goole. And beautiful. I pass through now and then visiting York and Scarborough where an artist I admire lives. If you're working today, I hope it's going well. My son was going to do a Graphic Design degree but I persuaded him to do Philosophy to become a Marine Of The Mind. He can pick up Graphic Design as an Intern during his summer holidays.

regards.

You convinced your son to take Philosophy? But doesn't everyone who wants to be a pseudo-intellectual go for that along with Sociology? Who's the artist you admire? Is it Hockney?

I like to think Hull as the Detroit of England, once a thriving economic vista but now a Poundland and Heron Frozen Foods haven. Hopefully we'll win the City of Culture in 2017.

Well what a brisk discussion!
I almost fear for my own personality being dissected by even daring to comment.
I find no ill in people adoring/hating and everything inbetween.
The one area that appears overlooked is empathy.
Regardless of your view: think does Moz really release things and think- well that was sub-standard or that was a crap album. I doubt those thoughts enter his head.
If we overlook the few months of 'strange' behaviour, he has supported and praised his own efforts on each release.
I think that despite everyone's adoration or bile, it matters not one jot to him.
The 'sack the band' types should know this is true - as whilst decrying Boz et al, 20yrs have passed and Moz has yet to take note!
Just for a bit of balance: I've done the obsessive fan thing and the 'why is he saying/doing that' thing.
I would even dare criticise the Smiths. Who I saw many times. The sound was awful in some places, tunes played too quickly, too much treble through the p.a., repetitive set lists etc etc... but of course that makes me the antichrist.
That is, however, my memory.
Do I the apply those critiques to the artists as a whole and hate them forever? No.
Moz will do what he wants.
Diverse and mildly aggressive debate on this site clearly does nothing to change that.
I like some of his music, I don't like some. I won't force my ego or my perception of what is good or bad on anyone.
I'm quite happy to read anything by Brummie or mr.anon without the need to have a verbal apoplexy.
I'm sure there's something in the DSM or the OED that sums up my far too middle of the road comment, but that's my view.
Regards,
FWD

Last edited:
I saw the concert at the cinema last night, and thought it was amazing, was a very cool crowd, especially the girl at the front with the red and white check shirt, with the tattoos , I love her : )
And moz was bang on form, the camera work was also very well put together.
Can't wait for the DVD
Moz moz u r my world

I saw the concert at the cinema last night, and thought it was amazing, was a very cool crowd, especially the girl at the front with the red and white check shirt, with the tattoos , I love her : )
And moz was bang on form, the camera work was also very well put together.
Can't wait for the DVD
Moz moz u r my world

Please! No more spoilers! I can't wait till tomorrow when I go to Merry Hill for an evening of retail therapy then THAT film! I can't think what to wear, or what perfume to use. I hope the audience are tasteful and elegant and there are no meat burger-munching troglodytes in the lobby to upset me as I glide towards the screening room. I will have a glass of champagne and some lovely food first, then a discrete hip-flask of Grey Goose and Tonic so I can imagine how utterly wonderful my life would be if only I could 'Hollywood Me' and live in secluded misanthropy in Bel Air. Still, I am blessed that my circumstances allow me to attend this unique event and that my long-suffering wife agrees to attend and drive so I can drink: even if she will, somewhat disconcertingly, be buried in her iPad next to me. She 'doesn't get it'. I will meet fellow worshippers if all goes well and I will no longer be this sad, lonely casualty "in mom's basement furiously bashing away on my keyboard like a demented troll": I will experience an epiphany and "get it" and realise that my yawns at shows in recent years were a personal crisis and no reflection on the wondrous beauty of songs such as "Kid's A Looker". Is that in it?

My wife is a non-believer and she dismisses Morrissey'fans' as a delusional borderline-sociopathic cult. Surely that's grounds for divorce? I guess I should have made it clear before she walked down the aisle: Morrissey comes first!

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom