"Morrissey 25: Live" reviews by Alan Jenkins (TLS), Dickie Felton

Ok. So Morrissey sucks nowadays. There's no hope. I have a suggestion for you: move on. Get a life. Find something else. You'll always have the songs.

Well, he dosent "suck" but yes, we have an abundance of great music from him.

As usual you (and indeed all on your side of the argument) have no counter argument at all. You merely attack the person you disagree with. My theory that modern Morrissey fans aren't very bright has yet to be disproved, and in fact garners more evidence in its support every day.
Unfortunately Johnny, anyone who dares post that Moz is anything short of the new messiah is likely to get a panning from the 'fans'.
I think anyone over 25 who devotes themself unquestionably to a pop star probably still lives with their Mum.

Unfortunately Johnny, anyone who dares post that Moz is anything short of the new messiah is likely to get a panning from the 'fans'.
I think anyone over 25 who devotes themself unquestionably to a pop star probably still lives with their Mum.

I think you're a bit confused, nobody is saying moz is the new messiah, I am merely saying that morrissey as an artist has not "lost it" as some people on this forum would have us believe. Going to a morrissey gig is still an incredible experience. Not every song at every gig is amazing, but morrissey's performances always are in my experience. We all owe morrissey a debt of gratitude for keeping the legacy of the smiths alive, even those who aren't keen on some of his solo work. The people who seem to " devote" themselves on here seem to be more the critics than the fans. I think that says more about them than I ever could.

You're just imagining more people to look down on.

Try that again, but in English.

Also, your description of his "trajectory" is informed solely by your opinions on the band and the setlist.

While your view of his "trajectory" is, of course, informed solely by your opinions on the band and setlist.

There are plenty of people who will see him playing and come away enjoying a show that covers his back catalogue and new unreleased stuff. I doubt they'd call what they saw a "tribute act". I suppose they're just brainless slavish cult members in your mind.

The thoughts of tubby, tattooed Hispanics are of no interest to me whatsoever. I do know the clever swine I watched rolling on the floor singing Still Ill thirty years ago bears no relation at all to the patently unwell, puffy, tired, rapidly aging man we see in Morrissey:25, and that he needs to take a year or so off to recuperate and revaluate his career. Can he do that, though? Has he got the money? I'm not so sure.

We are now deep into legacy where Morrissey is concerned. I don't know why he has treated his time in the Smiths almost as an embarrassment to him, as someone might a long ago rape conviction, but I do know he has failed to shake off those apparently dreadful times, and his obituaries will all begin with variations on a theme of "Morrissey, one time lead singer of celebrated eighties band The Smiths..."

Let me ask you a question. I know you prefer just to attack, but let's see. It'll be like one of those opthalmic tests... Imagine Morrissey fronting Marr's current band. Is that better or worse? Imagine Marr fronting Morrissey's current band. Is that better or worse? OK, you put your clothes back on now.

Did he never put his foot in his mouth before? Endorse bombing animal testing labs? Suggest black and white people could never get along?

There was a time a Morrissey quote contained some kernel of truth, or even an argument which could be divined even if you vehemently disagreed. That ended when the Queen visited Ireland.

If you think that he was just getting away with it for years and his true identity has now been revealed, then why would you want a new album?.

Because it would be a shame if a decent career ended with redundant, clunky tripe like the majority of ROTT or YOR.

Next!

I think you're a bit confused, nobody is saying moz is the new messiah, I am merely saying that morrissey as an artist has not "lost it" as some people on this forum would have us believe. Going to a morrissey gig is still an incredible experience. Not every song at every gig is amazing, but morrissey's performances always are in my experience. We all owe morrissey a debt of gratitude for keeping the legacy of the smiths alive, even those who aren't keen on some of his solo work. The people who seem to " devote" themselves on here seem to be more the critics than the fans. I think that says more about them than I ever could.

"Going to a morrissey gig is still an incredible experience !!! " What a load of hogwash !

Buying a ticket to a Morrissey gig is a HUGE gamble more like ! Will he show up ? Will he be ill ? Will Betty be ill ? Will any backing band member be ill ? Will he sell enough tickets/ if not pull the gig last minute ? Will everyone on the tour go off track and have "the tomato penne" ? Will the wheel fall off the covered waggon ? Will he have enough petrol money for transport ? Will he have someone to salt his fries ? Will he have any new songs ? Will he have a decent band ? Will he stop bastardizing the songs ?
Will he have a decent support artist ? (I'm bored now) etc etc etc. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .But you get the general picture.

Benny-the-Butcher

While your view of his "trajectory" is, of course, informed solely by your opinions on the band and setlist.

The thoughts of tubby, tattooed Hispanics are of no interest to me whatsoever. I do know the clever swine I watched rolling on the floor singing Still Ill thirty years ago bears no relation at all to the patently unwell, puffy, tired, rapidly aging man we see in Morrissey:25, and that he needs to take a year or so off to recuperate and revaluate his career. Can he do that, though? Has he got the money? I'm not so sure.

We are now deep into legacy where Morrissey is concerned. I don't know why he has treated his time in the Smiths almost as an embarrassment to him, as someone might a long ago rape conviction, but I do know he has failed to shake off those apparently dreadful times, and his obituaries will all begin with variations on a theme of "Morrissey, one time lead singer of celebrated eighties band The Smiths..."

Let me ask you a question. I know you prefer just to attack, but let's see. It'll be like one of those opthalmic tests... Imagine Morrissey fronting Marr's current band. Is that better or worse? Imagine Marr fronting Morrissey's current band. Is that better or worse? OK, you put your clothes back on now.

There was a time a Morrissey quote contained some kernel of truth, or even an argument which could be divined even if you vehemently disagreed. That ended when the Queen visited Ireland.

Because it would be a shame if a decent career ended with redundant, clunky tripe like the majority of ROTT or YOR.

Next!
do u have a problem with overweight people? Do you have a problem with tattoed people? Do you have a problem with Hispanic people? Do you think a rape conviction is merely an embarrassment? If so I think you need to reevaluate your own standards. A lot of people agree with morrissey's opinion regarding the royal family and Ireland .

Sad but true.

It is getting a bit like that scene in The Thing while the grown ups have been away on holiday. I read some of this unquestioning One Direction style tripe and hear MacReady saying "I know I'm human. And if you were all these things, then you'd just attack me right now, so some of you are still human."

do u have a problem with overweight people? Do you have a problem with tattoed people? Do you have a problem with Hispanic people? Do you think a rape conviction is merely an embarrassment? If so I think you need to reevaluate your own standards. A lot of people agree with morrissey's opinion regarding the royal family and Ireland .

It's a shame but the pattern is clear. Dare to say anything against Moz and the 'fans' go nuts.
What you people must get to grips with is that he is just a pop star whose career is in decline.
You can love him if you want, who gives a toss. But you have to accept that grown ups who have a sober view
of the world, will comment.
Fans here do not appear to be rational.
Johnny, who dares to put together a detailed critisism is accused of being rascist and misogynist.
Nothing to do with what he was saying about Moz.
And by the way his political pronouncements are so inane that I'd chide my 11 year son if he came out with them.
IrishBlood, do you think what he says about the Royal Family (for example) is sensible comment?

Well, he dosent "suck" but yes, we have an abundance of great music from him.

Did you mean 'a barn dance' or 'an ambulance' Playcat ? One can never be sure with your posts sometimes they #dosent make sense.

Hooky

Oh, look. Artificial offence. Good work. It's just like the Guardian on here, but for people who were dropped on their heads as infants. Would 'oo like to pretend to be upset by something else, diddums? Grow some balls, you pathetic child.

I don't have a problem with his general opinion on Ireland, just his utter ignorance of the reality of the Queen's role in the British state.

"The Queen also has the power to give back the six counties to the Irish people, allowing Ireland to be a nation once again. The fact that she has not done so is Fascism in full flow." - Morrissey, May 2011.

A nice bit of rabble rousing for the morons, except... She doesn't. Rather salinent, really, don't you think?

You might expect someone who purports to be intelligent might know that, wouldn't you? Schoolchildren used to be taught it, so why a grown man is not aware is anyone's guess. Modern day Morrissey, who, now unable to make headlines with his music, has decided instead to embarrass himself on a range of topics of which he knows little, and cares less. "Dead Norwegian children, you say? Fantastic! More column inches for me!" Very edifying.

"He's a very talented boy, but he's actually one of the most miserable. . . he's actually, let's be really honest about it, he's actually a nasty person, as a human being. As was John Lennon. Because he treats good human beings who help him - this isn't me, I've never helped him, I'm fond of him because I'm fond of his talent and his creativity - he treats excellent, good human beings who try to help him like pieces of dog dirt. He tramples on them. It's not his fault, he's just a terribly unpleasant human being, in terms of pure human values, he is not a nice person." - Tony Wilson on Morrissey.

He's a Lord Haw Haw for the 21st Century, backed to the hilt by a rapidly diminishing band of sycophants. There you go, something else to hang some faux outrage on.

Last edited:
It's a shame but the pattern is clear. Dare to say anything against Moz and the 'fans' go nuts.
What you people must get to grips with is that he is just a pop star whose career is in decline.
You can love him if you want, who gives a toss. But you have to accept that grown ups who have a sober view
Johnny, who dares to put together a detailed critisism is accused of being rascist and misogynist.
And by the way his political pronouncements are so inane that I'd chide my 11 year son if he came out with them.
IrishBlood, do you think what he says about the Royal Family (for example) is sensible comment?

IrishBrainIrishHeart isn't the sharpest knife in the box. It is unable to construct a counter argument. It founders when questioned.

Last edited:
Oh, look. Artificial offence. Good work. It's just like the Guardian on here, but for people who were dropped on their heads as infants. Would 'oo like to pretend to be upset by something else, diddums? Grow some balls, you pathetic child.

I don't have a problem with his general opinion on Ireland, just his utter ignorance of the reality of the Queen's role in the British state.

"The Queen also has the power to give back the six counties to the Irish people, allowing Ireland to be a nation once again. The fact that she has not done so is Fascism in full flow." - Morrissey, May 2011.

A nice bit of rabble rousing for the morons, except... She doesn't. Rather salinent, really, don't you think?

You might expect someone who purports to be intelligent might know that, wouldn't you? Schoolchildren used to be taught it, so why a grown man is not aware is anyone's guess. Modern day Morrissey, who, now unable to make headlines with his music, has decided instead to embarrass himself on a range of topics of which he knows little, and cares less. "Dead Norwegian children, you say? Fantastic! More column inches for me!" Very edifying.

"He's a very talented boy, but he's actually one of the most miserable. . . he's actually, let's be really honest about it, he's actually a nasty person, as a human being. As was John Lennon. Because he treats good human beings who help him - this isn't me, I've never helped him, I'm fond of him because I'm fond of his talent and his creativity - he treats excellent, good human beings who try to help him like pieces of dog dirt. He tramples on them. It's not his fault, he's just a terribly unpleasant human being, in terms of pure human values, he is not a nice person." - Tony Wilson on Morrissey.

He's a Lord Haw Haw for the 21st Century, backed to the hilt by a rapidly diminishing band of sycophants. There you go, something else to hang some faux outrage on.

R I P Tony Wilson he was a good man.
Had the pleasure to meet him at James/Stone Roses gig Manchester International II (Plymouth Grove) Benefit gig for A I D S I think. Great night.

Benny-the-Butcher

since we are resorting to "childish insults" I will now refer to you as johnnybags, there was no pretend outrage, there was no outrage at all, you have missed the point as usual. I was pointing out your double standards, if morrissey had released a statement like your previous post you would have attacked him viciously for it, but you seem to think its okay for you to do it. Anyway so low has been rather subdued the last couple days its good to get some debate going, but do you to have to lower the tone to childish insults about a persons IQ? For your information I am actually an aircraft engineer( seriously I am) you might want to think about that before you next get on a plane

People are entitled to believe in a United Ireland, but when they believe that the Queen has it in her power to grant this, independent of Parliament, and indeed the will of the people of Ireland, then they are quite simply ignorant or stupid

What " you people" must get to grips with is that he is just a pop star who is adored by his fans. I do agree with a lot of what morrissey says but not all of it. But unlike jb I don't take everything he says to heart. I don't beat my breast in anguish every time morrissey says something I don't agree with. After all we agree he is only a pop star not a politician. I would hope you don't think jb comment about a rape conviction to be" rational or sensible"

Re: "Morrissey 25: Live" reviews by Alan Jenkins (TLS), Dickie Felton

Did you mean 'a barn dance' or 'an ambulance' Playcat ? One can never be sure with your posts sometimes they #dosent make sense.

Hooky

“barn dance”? “ambulance” ? What the f*** are you talking about?!

- - - Updated - - -

Next!

Your comebacks are getting weirder.

since we are resorting to "childish insults" I will now refer to you as johnnybags, there was no pretend outrage, there was no outrage at all, you have missed the point as usual. I was pointing out your double standards, if morrissey had released a statement like your previous post you would have attacked him viciously for it, but you seem to think its okay for you to do it. Anyway so low has been rather subdued the last couple days its good to get some debate going, but do you to have to lower the tone to childish insults about a persons IQ? For your information I am actually an aircraft engineer( seriously I am) you might want to think about that before you next get on a plane

Oooh. That's good. I know someone who washes planes for a living too. Little ones though. Farnborough. He always seems to have a bolt leftover at the end of his shift... Little monkey. :rolleyes:

Tell me, those things that stick out... Wings? What do you stick them on with? I've often wondered. Actually, I saw a really interesting Aircrash Investigations the other day. I remember it because it was a very unusual episode. The crash wasn't the fault of an aircraft engineer. I know. Hard to believe.

Still in the aviation industry, a friend of mine went out with a BA co-pilot a couple of years ago. He slept with a kitchen knife under his pillow and would regularly wake up screaming in the middle of the night and race around the house stark bollock naked looking for monsters, while she cowered behind a locked bathroom door. In the morning he'd get up and fly a short haul to Berlin. Makes Ryanair sound like Airforce One.

Everything you accuse me of can be equally said of yourself and indeed Morrissey. For some reason you have decided Morrissey is beyond any criticism whatsoever. He isn't. Write that on your checklist. :thumb:

People are entitled to believe in a United Ireland, but when they believe that the Queen has it in her power to grant this, independent of Parliament, and indeed the will of the people of Ireland, then they are quite simply ignorant or stupid

Absolutely correct, but you might have to simplify it for IB. He's an aircraft engineer. Imagine the bloke who repairs your boiler, but he has the added complication of wings and a microwave.

What " you people" must get to grips with is that he is just a pop star who is adored by his fans. I do agree with a lot of what morrissey says but not all of it. But unlike jb I don't take everything he says to heart. I don't beat my breast in anguish every time morrissey says something I don't agree with. After all we agree he is only a pop star not a politician. I would hope you don't think jb comment about a rape conviction to be" rational or sensible"
Hi Irishblood, OK lets try and take the rancour out of this.
Let see your post:
"What " you people" must get to grips with is that he is just a pop star who is adored by his fans."
Well, I did start the "you people" so moving on, yes of course I have to accept that pop stars have fans who are devoted to them.

"I do agree with a lot of what morrissey says but not all of it".
I agree with some of what Morrissey has said in his various interviews and whatever. We're pretty close there.

"But unlike jb I don't take everything he says to heart.".
Come on, be fair. The only way the likes of us will ever know what he is about is through his public statements.

" I don't beat my breast in anguish every time morrissey says something I don't agree with."
Very sensible!

"After all we agree he is only a pop star not a politician"
Damn right!

"I would hope you don't think jb comment about a rape conviction to be" rational or sensible"
Johnny is great. He says what he thinks and he's serious about what he writes here. I really like that.
I re-read the line where he mentions the 'rape conviction'. I really respect your sensitivity in this context.
Nevertheless, it was quite funny.

You know I should learn how puts quotes in my posts.
I just can't be arsed.

Re: "Morrissey 25: Live" reviews by Alan Jenkins (TLS), Dickie Felton

Your comebacks are getting weirder.

Either that or you're a dimwit. Answers on a postcard to...

"Dimwit"
P.O. Box 1,
London.

Back
Top Bottom