Morrissey A-Z: "Alsatian Cousin"

Sex is never glamorous in his lyrics, is it? It's always in some dark alley behind a railway station, on the ((p)leather) backseat of a car, on a beach (but not the glamorous kind), on the streets or in the bushes, amid concrete and clay, stock-yard, church yard, your mammy's backyard etc...
I’m afraid that’s all you’ll get for a tenner🤫

Personally I love Alsatian Cousin and think it is seriously under rated.
For me, the whole album just blends perfectly for his first solo outing..
And yes the opening track is like radio noise, a bit annoying then rather comforting as it’s something new.
I can remember hurriedly buying VH, playing it to death and thinking it’s just as good as any Smiths album ...
Lyrically, he’s even more alone now than ever, which just adds even more drama to the project...

I love that huge falsetto bit that Moz does after the first verse (from 1:01 to 1:25). I don't think I even realised it was a voice it on first listen, as it's mixed in with all that crazy guitar work, now it's my favourite part of the song.

Sadly another relationship Moz squandered. I heard the dog never received royalties for his vocals.
Here the two were in happier times overlooking their empire...

MrShoes

View attachment 67552
he was paid in doggy biscuits,he was the original dog on a chain later to be not a dog on a chain.

Now, this is a moody romper of a song. Pure sex and crippling jealousy. I love it. What a fantastic way to kick off a debut solo album. And you got to love the contrast between this one and the delicate, wistful I Won’t Share You (the last song on the last Smiths album).

This is one of his best songs ever. The guitar riff and the very funny lyrics are great. Recently I noticed how "What Kind Of People Live In These Houses" seems to have a strong influence from Little Creatures era Talking Heads. I've never heard him talk about them but the attitude and sound of this might be influenced by their Fear of Music era. It's quirky and angular in a similar way.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom