Morrissey A-Z: "Ammunition"

BookishBoy

Up next in the A-Z of Morrissey songs is this one, a Boz composition from the Maladjusted album.

As with so many of his solo songs, for me this is musically bland but elevated by a lovely, understated vocal melody (he sounds so tired here) and intriguing lyrics.

Musically and lyrically brilliant. They (Morrissey & band) don't make songs like them anymore. Sounds nostalgic in every positive sense of the word.

The vocal steals the show again, but I like it musically as well. A captivating melody that sneaks into your ears and won't leave for days. I can see why he initially wanted it to be a single.
A really good song overall and a strong, seemingly effortless lyric, gracing us with the unique (?) mentioning of the word "chevron" ("cheveron" on the lyrics sheet) in a pop song.

It seems to have been inspired by the recent Smiths court case as well as his general tiredness of the media circus. What stands out as particularly interesting to me is the unusual optimistic and conciliatory feeling that can be read in the lines

I don't dwell on things I'm missing
I'm just pleased
With the things I've found

Seeing that he likes to sing songs that send a message about his current status (like Alma Matters or If You Don't Like Me, Don't Look At Me), I've been thinking that Ammunition would be a good setlist alternative to the ones that have been played to death.

Last edited:
Objectively I find it kinda a boring song but it gets in there and doesn’t leave which is the only test that matters I guess. Nice big hook. Might be on the nose for a morrissey song in a lot of ways but it does have charm

I have a soft spot for Maladjusted and have fond memories of it being released.

I can hear now though just how thin musically this song is. Morrissey's vocal melody is good, but he is battling to create a tune over a nothing backing track. The uninspired production doesn't help matters.

The lyric isn't a standout, but it is superior to and more mature than several from this album.

I have a soft spot for Maladjusted and have fond memories of it being released.

I can hear now though just how thin musically this song is. Morrissey's vocal melody is good, but he is battling to create a tune over a nothing backing track. The uninspired production doesn't help matters.

The lyric isn't a standout, but it is superior to and more mature than several from this album.
Yes, agree with all of this! Honestly if you take out the vocals there's almost nothing going on here musically, it's strange.

The voice, the melody and the lyrics turn it into something...interesting, at least.

I think it's a bit like Marianne Faithfull in the mid-70s when she was half dead on heroin - you can hear a fragility (for whatever reason) that gives it a beauty.

I think it's a bit like Marianne Faithfull in the mid-70s when she was half dead on heroin - you can hear a fragility (for whatever reason) that gives it a beauty.

Half alive. What a unique voice.

I think she should of covered the whole Maladjusted album!

oh let me dream :oops:

Yes, agree with all of this! Honestly if you take out the vocals there's almost nothing going on here musically, it's strange.

The voice, the melody and the lyrics turn it into something...interesting, at least.

The second the motion! It's pleasant and interesting.

I recall, when the album was released, being left feeling somewhat hopeful after listening - which isn't always guaranteed! And I must admit its been ages since I last heard the tune and I feel somewhat hopeful now yet again.

And to think BookishBoy -- we haven't even yet cracked the letter "A" .

MrShoes

A fantastic song, and one that FWD assured me he’s never played live.

Its sentiment contrasts wildly with Sorrow Will Come, which bothered me in 1997. In 2021, the split personality of Maladjusted is one of the album’s strange appeals.

His voice is really lacking energy here though. He can do so much better than this. Listening to the song leaves you with the impression that nobody is really excited about it: not Morrissey, not the band, and certainly not the producer. I will take the sparkling melody of Alma Matters over this one any time.

But I agree that lyrics and vocal melody are good, so maybe the song should just get a makeover and be played live some day (instead of If you don't like me...°.

Another inexplicably underrated song from his most underrated album. Strong vocal, strong vocal melody, comforting and inspired lyrics and an arrangement that takes a backseat to Moz’ vocals and lyrics. Great song to listen to when you’re fed up.

yes, but damn I’m such a critic. Maybe one day I’ll really like her version. Just feel it was the wrong choice of song or something.
I'd actually agree with that. I do love her voice on this recording but it's a bit too strong for such a fragile song? Idk.
It must have been a great honour for him though and it was sweet of her to do it as a sort of apology for not agreing to work with him or The Smiths earlier.

I'd actually agree with that. I do love her voice on this recording but it's a bit too strong for such a fragile song? Idk.
It must have been a great honour for him though and it was sweet of her to do it as a sort of apology for not agreing to work with him or The Smiths earlier.

Yes it sounds to forceful for this song, the producer should have suggested another approach, don’t know. Also don’t care much for the over all sound.

Ok just checked and the producer was Hal Wilner, I did like the record he did with her in 87 called Strange Weather, a moody album and worth checking out if you’re not familiar with it.

This is basically the story of Moz' solo career - that beautiful voice (and his talent for vocal melodies) carrying so many songs with such plodding backing. Really shows you what he brings to the table.

great song,voice is good but the music is just noise in the background,theres no seperation with the instruments.not saying the tune is bad its just a bit muffled,at least with the new albums the sound is much clearer so would like to hear chicarellis version of this.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom