Morrissey A-Z: "Back on the Chain Gang"

This is one that they love participatin' in, in a live settin'.
Folks like doin' the "Oh...", but wouldn't ya know it, there's always
gonna be a handful of folks who "Oh.." in the wrong spot.
Ya can't blame'm though, Moz does a heck of a job with it.

Probably because it didn't fit the concept of the album. They're all songs from the 60s and 70s, many of which he's loved all his life.

I know it... but when you have a GREAT song, you are always able to say: "f*** the idea of the conceptual album, this song is fantastic!".

I'd give anything for a studio version of this.

I've got this - but I always thought it was part of a different session / not from the YATQ sessions.
It's not from the Quarry sessions, sleeve says it was recorded in LA in 2004. But it's a studio version, produced by Jerry Finn, remixed by Boz.

There's also the version from the unaired Peel session.

It's not from the Quarry sessions, sleeve says it was recorded in LA in 2004. But it's a studio version, produced by Jerry Finn, remixed by Boz.

There's also the version from the unaired Peel session.
There was an unaired Peel session at that time? I remember John Peel playing No One Can Hold a Candle to You as part of the session.

There was an unaired Peel session at that time? I remember John Peel playing No One Can Hold a Candle to You as part of the session.
Yeah, that was a mistake. Was supposed to say *unreleased. (As opposed to the two songs from the Janice Long session that were released as b-sides).

Gotcha.

Yes, I felt it was a shame that some BBC sessions weren't used on Swords as it would have made it a more interesting comp.
Especially I'm Playing Easy To Get!

Still think Swords is a fantastic compilation as it is.

I remember when the video came out, there were excited talks-in-passing at work with some of the older co-workers, who had been former Smiths fans during their youth, asking like "oh, did you see Morrissey holding a guitar in the Pretenders cover?", and it seemed that this was the first time they have seen or listened to him since the 80s. So, I think this song helped to bring Morrissey back to the attention of folks who had almost stopped listening to music in the late 80s, before they focused on the family and job thing instead. It rekindled their interest.

For me this song is one of my three "good companion songs" I listen to when a stretch of supposedly "good times" ends and the same old shit starts again, making you wonder if there can ever be a meaning in life. I have the 7" single here and the cover looks nice, even though I am not very keen on 7". I prefer the older tradition of 12" singles. I like Morrissey's manly approach to the song.

It's fine as a throwaway B-side or extra track, but I'm glad Morrissey tackled more challenging and interesting material on California Son.
The fact that it seemed to be the most well-received song during a lot of the 'Low in High School' live dates (certainly much more than any of the new studio material) should have been alarming to all involved.

It's fine as a throwaway B-side or extra track, but I'm glad Morrissey tackled more challenging and interesting material on California Son.
The fact that it seemed to be the most well-received song during a lot of the 'Low in High School' live dates (certainly much more than any of the new studio material) should have been alarming to all involved.

It definitely was the only sparkling and upbeat song in that pack, so no surprise it was warmly received during live shows. I was certainly happy to sing along to it :):):) And indeed, the clip is good fun to watch, and the last clip he made (for now). So cherish it.

Moz and the band have done a fine job with this pop gem, I wasn’t very impressed to see them do it live though.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom