Morrissey A-Z: "Bengali in Platforms"

The "ankle star that blinds me" is in the end product though. And Moz said it was about buying "the most absurd English clothes". It is ridiculing fashion choices and I don't see a problem with that.

And I'm pretty sure the journalist didn't know about the original lyrics...

I can't imagine him not loving a platform boot though - I think he's more likely tapping into teenage him who tried to be fashionable in Manchester & got flack for it.

I can't imagine him not loving a platform boot though - I think he's more likely tapping into teenage him who tried to be fashionable in Manchester & got flack for it.
It's not about the boot. It's about who wears it and for what reason. Any type of fashion you wear just to fit in and to "impress" people is ridiculous to a certain degree. That's his point, I think.

He adores the same boots when worn to provoke and cause outrage (see description of Jon Daley in Autobiography).

It's not about the boot. It's about who wears it and for what reason. Any type of fashion you wear just to fit in and to "impress" people is ridiculous to a certain degree. That's his point, I think.

He adores the same boots when worn to provoke and cause outrage (see description of Jon Daley in Autobiography).

I wasn't disputing that he failing to fit in - more the assumption that he was less fashionable rather than more.

Well, the point still stands. The characterisation is not used to make the Bengali appear "snappily dressed", but to illustrate in a humorous and slightly mean way that they're trying too hard.

Well, the point still stands. The characterisation is not used to make the Bengali appear "snappily dressed", but to illustrate in a humorous and slightly mean way that they're trying too hard.

Yeah, but I want to know why the journalists think it's a stereotype that people from India could be buying platforms in 1986/87? Wouldn't they be hard to get hold of?

There was sort of related conversation on my timeline the other day about inappropriate seeming fashion.

Yeah, but I want to know why the journalists think it's a stereotype that people from India could be buying platforms in 1986/87? Wouldn't they be hard to get hold of?

There was sort of related conversation on my timeline the other day about inappropriate seeming fashion.

Why did they dress that way you ask? Because their goal is Stayin' Alive!

Yes & no.

Putting together a look & being in a war is quite a juxtaposition.
Fashion is always also a statement. Even uniforms are.

Why do they assume Morrissey thinks the platform boot is unfashionable & not snappily dressed???? The song's probably set in the 70s.

Yes most of Viva seems set or observations made from the point of view of a younger Morrissey in the 70’s - early 80’s like Break up the family.

The "ankle-star that blinds me" is in the end product though. And Moz said it was about buying "the most absurd English clothes". It is ridiculing fashion choices and I don't see a problem with that.

And I'm pretty sure the journalist didn't know about the original lyrics...

He may be ridiculing fashion choices, but it seems more likely he’s commenting on this individual that’s buying English clothes to fit into English culture, to mix in and
with hope be accepted.

It’s a beautiful song, one that we ( I do) can relate to even if one has not immigrated somewhere. Especially as a teenager one can feel that they are an outsider and they don’t belong even in the place they were born, more so if one has views different to those around them, as example.. if one is an artist.

Anyway ....

MOZ CLASSIC !!!!

:hammer::hammer::hammer::guitar::thumb:

Yes most of Viva seems set or observations made from the point of view of a younger Morrissey in the 70’s - early 80’s like Break up the family.

He may be ridiculing fashion choices, but it seems more likely he’s commenting on this individual that’s buying English clothes to fit into English culture, to mix in and
with hope be accepted.

It’s a beautiful song, one that we ( I do) can relate to even if one has not immigrated somewhere. Especially as a teenager one can feel that they are an outsider and they don’t belong even in the place they were born, more so if one has views different to those around them, as example.. if one is an artist.

Anyway ....

MOZ CLASSIC !!!!

agree with the last paragraph

with hope be accepted.
:thumb:

with hope be accepted.

Anyway ....

MOZ CLASSIC !!!!

I don't have a problem with it in the context of all his other songs about people not fitting in & life being terrible. He isn't treating it any differently.

Whereas the culture clearly preferred something that made it feel cheerful & charitable, like Do They Know It's Christmas... where the entire continent of Africa is one starving desert.

The lyrics are a serious misstep that never happened in the Smiths. This song has aged badly.

The lyrics are a serious misstep that never happened in the Smiths. This song has aged badly.
I wonder if that's a key difference in writing lyrics in a band and writing lyrics as a solo artist - in that the togetherness of being in a band might make you self-edit your writing ("would the others really be OK with me singing that?") but I dunno...

I wonder if that's a key difference in writing lyrics in a band and writing lyrics as a solo artist - in that the togetherness of being in a band might make you self-edit your writing ("would the others really be OK with me singing that?") but I dunno...

It's not true though - he got flack for Panic - supposedly hanging black DJs.

And for Reel Around The Fountain being pro child abuse.

Panic still comes up.

Reel withered because the UK became less homophobic.

Sonically it's quite beautiful - especially the Alternate version. It could fit with either interpretation but I'm going to go with "life is hard enough when you belong here" is an awkward and clumsy line and not meant to be racist.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom