Morrissey A-Z: "Black Cloud"

To my ears, at least half of Refusal is excellent or very good - and that's a pretty decent ratio for a Moz album. Skull, Carol, Paris, Birthday - love them all. The rest just merge into each other and there's too much 'chug', but it's an absolute masterpiece next to something like LIHS.
There's some really great music on High School. The lyrics are so awful, though, that they practically ruin every song. The song titles alone are an absolute cringe-fest. Yuck!

Am I wrong or too often throughout his career the lyrics are the weaker side of his songs? Don't get me wrong, I love Morrissey, but I think as lyricist he is a bit overrated. Sometimes he's great but too often he's lazy. That ruins many songs in my opinion. When he repeats and repeats and repeats. Love is on its way out. Okay, I agree and then? The lions... yes you've already said that.

To my ears, at least half of Refusal is excellent or very good - and that's a pretty decent ratio for a Moz album. Skull, Carol, Paris, Birthday - love them all. The rest just merge into each other and there's too much 'chug', but it's an absolute masterpiece next to something like LIHS.
You are correct. He should have made better use of Jeff Beck though.

A solid album track. Worked great live. 3.5/5.

Black Cloud is the worst song on Years of Refusal. I replaced it with Children in pieces.

I can understand wanting someone's attention, but wanting possession of them is a thing I've never comprehended.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom