Morrissey A-Z: "Bobby, Don't You Think They Know?"

To be fair you can probably put almost any word into google with unofficial sexual meaning and something will probably come up.

I really like this song from its heavy groove to the forceful way he belts it. The duet worked great and I loved hearing a duet with him where I could actually make out the other person. I love the physicality of the music and production with its hammer like percussive stomping. Not my fav song on the great dog on a chain but a very very solid track

An impressive vocal arrangement, a good tune from Gustavo and a strong production make this one of the best sounding Moz songs in some time. It helps that both he and Ms. Houston are in great voice obviously.

One of the strongest tracks on the album and during a different era it might have been a hit.

In the poll on the other thread (due to the boost that new songs inevitably get) it ranked 8 from 264 solo songs.
That is just offensive.

Enjoy:

FWD.
Wow. Thought this was lost forever! I actually quite like it - thanks FWD, no idea where this came from, but it’s brightened up my day.

The But, ah, the pleasure you bring for us part is just breathtaking
I agree that it's nice to hear a different, stronger sound from Moz and his voice works well with Thelma's

Great tune, not on replay often due to it’s length for me but I was happy Moz did something different, I initially wished there was more to the lyrics than what there is but I’m not particularly bothered now. It’s got some groove and funk to it, and it’s playful rather than spiteful as Moz has come across in recent years.
Interesting that folk like Haslam refused to acknowledge this single when stirring up things like this ....

Attachments

• 82AD664B-2FE5-4A87-8ECE-0B02ADC9FB9C.jpeg
    82AD664B-2FE5-4A87-8ECE-0B02ADC9FB9C.jpeg
    747.5 KB · Views: 0
Make that two, @Ketamine Sun .

I can hardly begin to describe the disappointment I felt upon hearing this for the first time. Nearly three years since his last album of original material, and this is the first single? I thought “don’t f***ing complain when this single doesn’t chart, you brought this on yourself.” It’s tuneless, the lyrics are gibberish and it goes on forever. But more than anything, it’s the overwhelming sense of disappointment. Like, maybe we’ve actually lost him this time. Maybe he is finished. Luckily, the album was quite strong. But releasing this as its lead single made no one keen on buying the album.

I can hardly begin to describe the disappointment I felt upon hearing this for the first time. Nearly three years since his last ...’

But more than anything, it’s the overwhelming sense of disappointment’

I’m glad you got through that devastating experience.

Stay strong!

:thumb:

I can hardly begin to describe the disappointment I felt upon hearing this for the first time. Nearly three years since his last ...’

Stay strong!

I really like it. It was sexy. M sounded good.

This one was funny cause all the folks who said Moz was racist,
got mad cause he did a song with a Black Woman and all the
racists who thought Moz was with'em, got mad cause he did a
song with a Black Woman. Haha.

“ESCAPE

FROM

BOBBY,

RETURN

TO

BOBBY”

‘I know, your torture below...’

❤️💜💙:cool:

I agree with the posters who said this song is more of a grower. I am not a big fan of the Thelma Houston bits though, just not my personal style. However, it is a fun song overall. It would be interesting to hear this one live.

Stay strong!

Thanks for your concern. Very moving. And what can I say, I take music very seriously - especially if it's Moz.

This song is absolutely flipping brilliant! It's the least indie thing Morrissey's ever done and all the better for it.
Reviewing these songs has just reminded me how much thin gruel Morrissey had to work with in the 1995-2010 period.
Songs like Ammunition and Best Friend on the Payroll - they are, musically, the flimsiest of things.
Bobby by comparison is an absolute feast. There's so much to it - the tinkling keyboard, the electric guitar lines, the pounding drums, Boz's dirty great sax solo. The words make little sense to anyone but, frankly, who cares when the music's this good! Love Thelma's contribution, too.
And the line, 'Oh the pleasure you bring to us, oh, whenever you sing for us', is one of the finest in any Morrissey song ever.
Massive congrats to Gustavo - he's brought a brilliant new dimension to the song-writing team.
It's just a bit heart-breaking that we'll probably never hear this in a nightclub environment. It would sound amazing.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom