Morrissey A-Z: "Don't Make Fun of Daddy's Voice"

Average offering: bizarrely, it was done on the Lopez show at the back end of December in 09, which I thought was a bizarre choice.

I think this one is pretty funny and it's musically adequate, kind of like Dagenham Dave. It's okay. I don't get too excited about it but it's better than some. I'm glad it wasn't on Quarry.

Average offering: bizarrely, it was done on the Lopez show at the back end of December in 09, which I thought was a bizarre choice.
Ha! Yes, I tried to link to the Lopez show clip in the original post but for whatever reason it wasn't working, so went with the Manchester one instead.

Well, he was promoting the b-sides compilation and pandering to the Latino audience, no? Makes sense in that context. I always liked this song, I thought it was a nice glammy novelty outtake that worked well on stage when he was bringing it out back in 2004.

Don't like it @ all. Bad glam sound and dull melody. The vocal line does not reach me at any moment. Suddenly even the B-sides became weaker. Blink-182's impact began to show.
It neither rocks nor rolls. It is dull.

Last edited:
like the studio version better than the live one above,its a song iv always liked but dont usually listen to it on a regular basis.

These are extremely powerful, timeless and true lines:

When you are young
you crave affection
and it can come...
from the strangest direction

At the time of the mostly mid-paced YATQ, it added some dynamic to the live shows.
It also sets out the sound for the next 5 years or so, pretty much the sound that I associate with Jesse's arrival.
It doesn't do much for me.

I like the version from Who Put the M...but really this is “worst”/least good Quarry b-side. Musically, it chugs along quite dullingly and the lyrics are fun but that’s about it. Moz loves these kinds of songs, but I generally don’t. That said, there are many Moz songs much worse than this.

It's OK, but definitely B-side material. There is a weird disconnect in the song - the verses (especially in the studio version) are great. The chorus is off though - the first half where he sings the title is fine and nicely melodic, but then he just ends up intoning the 'because he can't help it' and 'something got stuck in his throat' bits in a flat, monochromatic voice, which is always an anti-climax. It's like he couldn't find a melody to fit the music for that bit, so just ploughs straight ahead on one boring note, (or shouts to try and cover it in a live setting.) Alain does end the chorus on a fairly dissonant chord, so I understand why Morrissey struggles, but this is probably a case where they should have altered the music here to aid the song.

Solid bside. The lyrics are funny and I like the stompy bits. I like that the rockier songs past maladjusted finally got a bit more bottom end. It was a nice improvement production wise

It's OK, but definitely B-side material. There is a weird disconnect in the song - the verses (especially in the studio version) are great. The chorus is off though - the first half where he sings the title is fine and nicely melodic, but then he just ends up intoning the 'because he can't help it' and 'something got stuck in his throat' bits in a flat, monochromatic voice, which is always an anti-climax. It's like he couldn't find a melody to fit the music for that bit, so just ploughs straight ahead on one boring note, (or shouts to try and cover it in a live setting.) Alain does end the chorus on a fairly dissonant chord, so I understand why Morrissey struggles, but this is probably a case where they should have altered the music here to aid the song.

Well stated.

I feel the flatness is deliberate because it's a euphemism... for whatever it's a euphemism for.

A great song, and one which confounded the audience when it opened one of the Meltdown gigs. It definitely should’ve been on the album, and in my dream version of a Quarry LP, it’s track one.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom