Morrissey A-Z: "First of the Gang to Die, The"

Morrissey’s second greatest single after Sunday...
A pop masterpiece...
One of my favourite Moz songs .
Brings back really happy memories of when all was well in the land of Moz , with the Quarry comeback and 4 top ten singles....

Some music critics even declared that “ this is greatest comeback since Elvis 68”

Yes. This fact became even clearer, when I heard the finished version of TWIFOCB, of which I thought at the time (2002), it would be the best and biggest Morrissey single ever.
crashing bores was the one i noticed the most so you are completely right.

Alain wrote lots of good singles with Morrissey but only one truly great one, and this is it.
Unusually for a Morrissey/Whyte composition, it has the melodic strength of a Smiths song.

Last edited:
Off topic slightly.....
It’s one year today The I was at Morrissey concert al Leeds....

Attachments

• 4B27CB6D-9C0F-4135-BDDF-8CA68529F906.jpeg
    4B27CB6D-9C0F-4135-BDDF-8CA68529F906.jpeg
    215.9 KB · Views: 0
Love it. I like that morrissey has a bit moved towards songs with a more rhythmic bases. Not much to say that hasn’t been said really. I don’t mind the overplaying. This song was pretty big for him here in the us. It’s the only morrissey solo song I’ve ever actually heard played spontaneously in the radio. I was riding in my friends car and it just came on

Off topic slightly.....
It’s one year today The I was at Morrissey concert al Leeds....
Baz at 60?

It was a strange day that. Even then, I don’t think this last 12 months could be predicted.

As for FOTGTD, the most recognised and liked song of 21st century Morrissey. It’s always made for a raucous encore. The latter day flamenco working isn’t as dramatic.

Not my favourite song from that album but definitely a great Morrissey single, its popularity has endured since it was released.

'Irish Blood, English Heart'... great title, crap song. I still don't get that line about the Royal family supporting Cromwell. Eh...? :confused:
When most European countries had a revolution, the monarchies were either beheaded or just dumped, land and titles stripped.
But after the English Cival War, Cromwell granted the monarchy the role and privilages that they still have today, hence the royal family still salute him in great aplreciation.

Never really cared too much for this one, even though I recognise it’s an ear worm

it’s clearly popular with many people - even outside the Moz universe - so it’s been a very important song for what is (or was) his re-establishment as an artist, but not one I go back to as a listener

A long way short of Boxers and Sunny, which were his peak in my opinion

Baz at 60?

It was a strange day that. Even then, I don’t think this last 12 months could be predicted.

As for FOTGTD, the most recognised and liked song of 21st century Morrissey. It’s always made for a raucous encore. The latter day flamenco working isn’t as dramatic.
Your a cheeky one Janice....aren’t you 😉😉😉
I’m not a day over 40...
To be fair I think it was my least fave Moz gig.....
I sometimes think that the weeks, and the actual day and the build up to the start of the gig can be very emotional, exciting, I always get butterflies on the day ......

Yes it has been a strange year hasn’t it.... we all knew something was coming , like a few weeks off work or so..
The end isn’t that far away now lass......
The last mile is the hardest mile
Somebody once said 🥳🥳🥳

If he had released this as the comeback single instead of 'Irish Blood', there is a strong chance he would finally have got to #1 in the singles chart. Thus was his one chance, and once again he blew it, and picked the wrong song. Utter madness - but typical Moz.

Fabulously subversive singalong.

So chirpy, so horrific.

20210306_152131.jpg

I’m not a day over 40...
I sometimes think that the weeks, and the actual day and the build up to the start of the gig can be very emotional, exciting, I always get butterflies on the day ......

Yes it has been a strange year hasn’t it.... we all knew something was coming , like a few weeks off work or so..
Somebody once said 🥳🥳🥳

I thought it would be 3 weeks!!!!

The Edinburgh Festival's deadline is in March, so I remember all the shock when they had to plan to cancel it - it was like nuclear war had been declared.

As great as it is, it's always slightly bothered me that it lifts elements so shamelessly from Suede's 'Trash'. You could do a mash-up of the two songs and barely notice the change from one to the other.

When most European countries had a revolution, the monarchies were either beheaded or just dumped, land and titles stripped.
But after the English Cival War, Cromwell granted the monarchy the role and privilages that they still have today, hence the royal family still salute him in great aplreciation.

Okay, my history's not great, but my recollection was that it went something like this:

Charles I beheaded
Cromwell becomes Lord Protector and effective rule of the British Republic for about 2o years until he dies.
Cromwell's son succeeds him.
Nobody fancies this idea, and Charles II is invited over from France, and the monarchy is Restored.

I thought it would be 3 weeks!!!!

The Edinburgh Festival's deadline is in March, so I remember all the shock when they had to plan to cancel it - it was like nuclear war had been declared.
Just like the nuclear war with salmon and sturgeon !!!
Yous jocks eh... 😬
always on the verge of a victory and then yous tear yourselves apart...
Do you think she will loose her job??
I hope not as I think she has managed this crisis quite well , and if she had to go , then that could open the door for the Tory’s in Scotland... now that’s unthinkable?
Or is it ...

Yous jocks eh... 😬
I hope not as I think she has managed this crisis quite well , and if she had to go , then that could open the door for the Tory’s in Scotland... now that’s unthinkable?
Or is it ...

You can never say never - but at the moment it looks as if she won't resign - the outside pressure isn't big enough to push her - so I'd say she'll be fine unless something happens inside the SNP & although they're viciously divided, all the gossip hints she's in the strongest position.

Yous jocks eh... 😬
Or is it ...

What is it with that lot? Do they all have to be named after fish?

I’m not a day over 40...

Somebody once said 🥳🥳🥳
It wasn’t that bad, Barry. I’ve seen worse. The numbers weren’t high but, we expected that. I posted the setlist ASAP and someone questioned the inclusion of Half a Person. The previous time I posted a setlist was Argentina a couple of years back. How times have changed.
Ps
Was round your way last week. I even put some money into the local economy via the Jet fuel station on James Street :postbox:🛻⛽

It wasn’t that bad, Barry. I’ve seen worse. The numbers weren’t high but, we expected that. I posted the setlist ASAP and someone questioned the inclusion of Half a Person. The previous time I posted a setlist was Argentina a couple of years back. How times have changed.
Ps
Was round your way last week. I even put some money into the local economy via the Jet fuel station on James Street :postbox:🛻⛽
James st ... a two minute drive to my home...
Half a person was played at Leeds if I remember....

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom