Morrissey A-Z: "Found Found Found"

I really like this, the sound is so grimy and almost JAMC-like at times (or like something from R.E.M.'s Monster album?) and for me it works well in combination with his 1991 voice.

And yes, that "All the time" right at the end is amazing, I love it!
I was thinking about the sound and how it fits so literally with the lines "Someone who's worth it / In this murkiness" but may be coincidence.

'I believe the more you love a man, the more you give your trust, the more you' re bound to lose' I think there's more than a nod to 'If Love Were All' I've always liked this awkward runt of a track.

Agree, the Noel Coward lift is interesting - from the opera Bitter Sweet.
Covered by the PSB & Julie Andrews (varing versions of the lyrics) and pinched by Morrissey :)
Obviously, the song changes when sung by a male and that's probably half the reason Tennant & Morrissey were interested in it?

If Love Were All (1929)

Excerpt:
"I believe the more you love a man,
The more you give your trust,
The more you're bound to lose;
Although, when shadows fall I think if only
Somebody splendid really needed me,
Somebody affectionate and dear,
Cares would be ended
If I knew that he wanted to have me near.
But I believe that, since my life began,
The most I've had is just a talent to amuse,
Heigh ho!
If love were all!
I believe the more you love a man,
The more you give your trust,
The more you're bound to lose;
Although, when shadows fall I think, I think if only
Somebody splendid really needed me,
Somebody affectionate and dear,
Cares would be ended
If I knew that he wanted to have me near.
But, ah-ha, I believe that, since my life began,
The most I've had is just a talent to amuse,
Heigh ho!
If love were all!"

The Coward lyrics are asserted to be autobiographical and the Wiki quotes it via Holden, S. as: "one of the loneliest pop songs ever written".

Never disliked this track. Like his voice on it.
Regards,
FWD.

I love this one. I always did. The bass is great and the guitar tremolo parts are up there almost with those of "How Soon Is Now." Those are a 10 but these are an 8. I used to wear out the batteries in my walkman tape player rewinding to hear this again. Love the vocal effects, too. The lyrics might be simple but nothing wrong with that.
I don't know why some people don't like this but a nice thing about Morrissey is that someone that doesn't like this probably raves about one or two of his songs that I don't like at all. I'm surprised by how much people like some of his songs that I can't stand so it all works out.
All this needs is an extended mix to make it about seven minutes long.

Like all things here, it comes down to when you began to listen/enjoy Moz. Old-timers like myself tend to think fondly of the songs pre-Maladjusted; while those of the younger ilk enjoy more recent compositions.

Bring on that extended "delicious-mix" DJ Da Truth!

I like the way he sounds distant, earnest, wry & passionate all in the one song.

It's short & bittersweet, like love can be.

And I think the I do believe bit is him agreeing with Coward but despite that he's found someone who loves him.

Completely forgettable - music, lyrics, everything. It sounds like nobody involved was really trying or particularly interested in it. I never replay this.

I still remember hearing this one for the first time many years ago and my reaction of, "No, nowhere near good enough".

I think the music is the worst that had appeared on a Morrissey studio album up to that point, and still one of the worst up to the present day. Clive Langer has admitted that it was, "knocked out in about five minutes" and I'm surprised that it took that long.

The lyrics are very much Morrissey by numbers.

Also, normally you can at least say that Morrissey's voice lifts things a notch or two, but I don't think even that is the case here. The blend between the vocal and the music is quite unpleasant.

In the poll on the Hoffman board it ranked 256th from 264 songs.
Link the poll. Cant find it.

The Michael Stipe connection is false apparently.
"A daft rumour that its real subject is Michael Stipe stems from a 1991 interview with Select magazine: Morrissey discussed ‘Found Found Found’ in one breath before next answering answering a different (unrelated) question about his friendship with the R.E.M. singer." (Mozipedia)
When Morrissey dies, all the men he's ever met will gather in a pub (it will be a very large pub) and talk about the songs that were supposedly written about them. And after hours of polite discussion, catfights, snd a few tears from Peter Hedgehog, thy will be forced to admit the songs sere ALL about Johnny Marr anyway.

It will be great and it will cheer us all up. (y)

Completely forgettable - music, lyrics, everything. It sounds like nobody involved was really trying or particularly interested in it. I never replay this.

Agree. to me it sounds like a demo that didn’t really go anywhere

Weakest song on Kill Uncle in my opinion - back then, I remember reading it was supposed to be a duet with Michael Stipe, and not that it was a song about him.

The beauty of when Moz sang my life was that his timing was impeccable. Imagine if you will, what it is to be 13/14 and unsure of yourself and finding that all things are indeed murky. People especially, are murky.

Then you find someone who IS worth it and DOES want to be with you and ISN'T seeming to be scheming.

Then you take your meagre money and purchase Kill Uncle by Morrissey at your local record emporium. You carry it home and it contains this song.

The 13/14 year old starts to feel a bit more comfortable in their own skin. The following school day is easier than the last.

That was the magic of Morrissey.

Always thought this one was quite unique and special. The mood is so strange, dark and dramatic while the lyrics are sweet and kind of hopeful. I love the yearning in his voice. The "All the time..." at the end is... 💕
:thumb::thumb::thumb:
Cracking bass too.
And all this as the result of Morrissey asking Langer to "write me a punk song" 😅

punk dirge!

Thinking if KU had more of a heavy guitar sound, FFF might not have stood out as special as it does.

A: I don't think I know that song. We met three times and he sent me postcards. We went walking in London. He's a really nice guy. The judge in The Smiths court case said he was untrustworthy. f***head."

It’s obvious Stipe is a very observant and intelligent person.

(Source)

He also talked about Morrissey in this 2016 podcast (about 37 minutes in). Really seems like they were pen pals more than anything else. Stipe says he asked Moz to kiss him for a picture but he wouldn't do it (of course he wouldn't). "Anyway, a man can dream." :lbf:
maybe ‘Let me kiss you’, was more about Stipe?

At the time, because I loved this song so much, I actually wanted to
get the title Found Found Found tattooed around my ring finger, third finger left hand, in marriage to Moz! :p

I'd like to think that the brevity and vagueness of the song is intentional. Feeling of connection is always fleeting in Morrissey's life, and the infatuation was probably over before the song was out. For me the song has always been a minor curiosity in the middle of an album full of minor curiosities.

One of the weaker tracks on Kill Uncle, IMHO. But nice to see that opinions differ and some really like it.

I remember reading that Mark E. Nevin sent Morrissey music for what became Kill Uncle, but they were only rough sketches intended to be further developed into finished songs. He was shocked that Morrissey used them as-is. IMHO, this is one that really would've have benefited from that further development.

I remember reading that Mark E. Nevin sent Morrissey music for what became Kill Uncle, but they were only rough sketches intended to be further developed into finished songs. He was shocked that Morrissey used them as-is. IMHO, this is one that really would've have benefited from that further development.
This may be true, however 'Found Found Found' is one of two tracks on the album written by album producer Clive Langer. I think this and 'Mute Witness' were added at a later stage to try and add a bit of weight to the album - they are certainly the most 'rock' sounding, next to Nevin's song.

Anway, I think this is a criminally underrated song, and a bit of a hidden gem. Musically it's brilliant, I love the feel and that sliding bass. If there is a weak link here it's Morrissey's lyrics, which don't really have much impact. I guess it's supposed to be a huge revelation that the narrator has found someone who isn't out to get him, but it's all a bit one dimensional. This is also a rare song that seems to be entirely positive - I'm not sure there's much else like this in Morrissey's song canon, so maybe that's why it feels a bit lyrically toothless.

This is also a rare song that seems to be entirely positive - I'm not sure there's much else like this in Morrissey's song canon, so maybe that's why it feels a bit lyrically toothless.

I was thinking about that too and I don't believe it really is entirely positive. There seems to be a fear of losing something (oneself perhaps?) in the relationship with another person

"I do believe that
The more you give your trust
And the more you give your love
The more you're bound to lose"

I was also reading up in Rogan's Albums book and I'm not sure where this quote is taken from but I thought it was slightly confusing that he said the song was actually about not finding someone

Screenshot_20210308-205355.jpg

Screenshot_20210308-205421.jpg

This may be true, however 'Found Found Found' is one of two tracks on the album written by album producer Clive Langer. I think this and 'Mute Witness' were added at a later stage to try and add a bit of weight to the album - they are certainly the most 'rock' sounding, next to Nevin's song.
You're correct... it's been a long time since I've looked at those credits... but I'd assumed they were all Morrissey/Nevin.

I was thinking about that too and I don't believe it really is entirely positive. There seems to be a fear of losing something (oneself perhaps?) in the relationship with another person

"I do believe that
The more you give your trust
And the more you give your love
The more you're bound to lose"
I always took at as Morrissey's ultimately pessimistic view that while it might seem good now, it isn't going to last, and you'll end up heartbroken, etc. and therefore "lose." I like your take though - b/c even if it does become a lasting relationship, you've lost some of yourself in the process.

Give the lyrical content and the triple-repetition in the title, I always felt like this song was something of a sequel to "Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want." Now that his prayer for companionship has been answered, he's forced to grapple with the pain and worry of actually having something to lose. In typical Morrissey fashion, nothing is easy.

I used to really love this song and now I find it kind of a boring dirge, probably played it too many times back in the day. Given Morrissey's penchant for going loud and heavy on stage, I'm surprised he never tried this one live. But I guess like most of the Kill Uncle material, he's not particularly interested in revisiting it.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom