Morrissey A-Z: "Found Found Found"

I’m glad it’s on KU. It’s earned it place :ahhh: :sweet:
I had a second wind for the album in the winter of 2006. Never looked back.

I was thinking about that too and I don't believe it really is entirely positive. There seems to be a fear of losing something (oneself perhaps?) in the relationship with another person

"I do believe that
The more you give your trust
And the more you give your love
The more you're bound to lose"

I was also reading up in Rogan's Albums book and I'm not sure where this quote is taken from but I thought it was slightly confusing that he said the song was actually about not finding someone

View attachment 69404

View attachment 69405

Oh, but if I'd never found
Somebody who wants to be
Who wants to be with me ...
...All the time’

Yeah, I always took the song, it’s meaning wrapped up in those last lines, to be about the fear of going through life and just never finding that other person.

I’m also wondering if after his first real success with Suedehead and Everyday, if he felt some would want him just for his fame and money and not his honey, with the line ‘Someone who's never seeming scheming’.

Always thought this one was quite unique and special. The mood is so strange, dark and dramatic while the lyrics are sweet and kind of hopeful. I love the yearning in his voice. The "All the time..." at the end is... 💕
Cracking bass too.
And all this as the result of Morrissey asking Langer to "write me a punk song" 😅
Very odd placing in the tracklist as opener to side 2 of the record.

The Michael Stipe connection is false apparently.
"A daft rumour that its real subject is Michael Stipe stems from a 1991 interview with Select magazine: Morrissey discussed ‘Found Found Found’ in one breath before next answering answering a different (unrelated) question about his friendship with the R.E.M. singer." (Mozipedia)

"Select" mag cribbed it from "Option" magazine published in the US a couple of months prior, and for some reason decided to render it Q&A style.
If anything, the original US version makes the Kemp-concocted connection even more obvious ~

https://illnessasart.com/2020/10/10/option-may-1991/

Of course not, but if the origin of the rumour was really the incorrect interpretation of an interview, why would the song be about Stipe? There's nothing in the lyrics to indicate that. Stipe said he didn't know the song.

"Q: Is there any truth in the story that you were penpals with Morrissey and he wrote 'Found Found Found' about you?

A: I don't think I know that song. We met three times and he sent me postcards. We went walking in London. He's a really nice guy. The judge in The Smiths court case said he was untrustworthy. f***head."

(Source)

He also talked about Morrissey in this 2016 podcast (about 37 minutes in). Really seems like they were pen pals more than anything else. Stipe says he asked Moz to kiss him for a picture but he wouldn't do it (of course he wouldn't). "Anyway, a man can dream." :lbf:

Podcast

Yes
Weren’t they caught in a bathroom together? That’s the rumor I heard.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom