Morrissey A-Z: "Found Found Found"

For me this is another 'meh' song. The arrangement I quite like, especially the bass, but the rest of the song is rather forgettable. At least it doesn't outstay its welcome.

Criminally underrated. Deep, dark and ominous arrangement and a lyric that really hits home. Sure, it’s not one of his best songs, not by a long shot, but it’s still very good and I’ve always liked it. Another one I don’t get the criticism for.

The lyrics are definitely a bit more fleshed out compared to other points on the album, but this one’s never really clicked with me. It doesn’t really progress from its one groove and ends before it can start to do anything different melodically. Sounds like something from the Cure’s Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me album, just not as good as much of the material on that LP, IMHO.

Criminally underrated. Deep, dark and ominous arrangement and a lyric that really hits home. Sure, it’s not one of his best songs, not by a long shot, but it’s still very good and I’ve always liked it. Another one I don’t get the criticism for.

Hear, hear! I like it. It's a grower, not a shower.

Whether one ranks it high/low, its certainly an interesting track with an interesting backstory, a-la Michael Stipe. True or not!

A bit of Velvet Underground there; rough but a good counterpoint on the album. Foreshadows the glam stompers to follow in 1992. Bedders: basses. Nuff said!

I still remember hearing this one for the first time many years ago and my reaction of, "No, nowhere near good enough".

I think the music is the worst that had appeared on a Morrissey studio album up to that point, and still one of the worst up to the present day. Clive Langer has admitted that it was, "knocked out in about five minutes" and I'm surprised that it took that long.

The lyrics are very much Morrissey by numbers.

Also, normally you can at least say that Morrissey's voice lifts things a notch or two, but I don't think even that is the case here. The blend between the vocal and the music is quite unpleasant.

In the poll on the Hoffman board it ranked 256th from 264 songs.

for me not one of his best.think the hoffman board is about right with this one.

I don't get it. There are so many songs after Refusal, that are much worser, because they don't fit him musically. Justice for FFF, please!

The lyrics are fine with me, they read like a short poem. I'd be interested in a spoken word version of this one, as there's hardly any musical tune or vocal harmony backing this song.

Always thought this one was quite unique and special. The mood is so strange, dark and dramatic while the lyrics are sweet and kind of hopeful. I love the yearning in his voice. The "All the time..." at the end is... 💕
Cracking bass too.
And all this as the result of Morrissey asking Langer to "write me a punk song" 😅
Very odd placing in the tracklist as opener to side 2 of the record.

The Michael Stipe connection is false apparently.
"A daft rumour that its real subject is Michael Stipe stems from a 1991 interview with Select magazine: Morrissey discussed ‘Found Found Found’ in one breath before next answering answering a different (unrelated) question about his friendship with the R.E.M. singer." (Mozipedia)

I really like this, the sound is so grimy and almost JAMC-like at times (or like something from R.E.M.'s Monster album?) and for me it works well in combination with his 1991 voice.

And yes, that "All the time" right at the end is amazing, I love it!

It makes me very happy to see some of you sharing my love for this one. I always thought it was one of the most disliked songs from that era - something I couldn't understand at all.

It makes me very happy to see some of you sharing my love for this one. I always thought it was one of the most disliked songs from that era - something I couldn't understand at all.
Amen to that.

yeah i like Found Found Found. Short enough to be interesting, and i like the arrangement. Problem is it appears in the middle of a weak album, exposing it more.

Remember the rumours about it being about Michael Stipe. Can't see it myself.

Always thought this one was quite unique and special. The mood is so strange, dark and dramatic while the lyrics are sweet and kind of hopeful. I love the yearning in his voice. The "All the time..." at the end is... 💕
Cracking bass too.
And all this as the result of Morrissey asking Langer to "write me a punk song" 😅
Very odd placing in the tracklist as opener to side 2 of the record.

The Michael Stipe connection is false apparently.
"A daft rumour that its real subject is Michael Stipe stems from a 1991 interview with Select magazine: Morrissey discussed ‘Found Found Found’ in one breath before next answering answering a different (unrelated) question about his friendship with the R.E.M. singer." (Mozipedia)

False or not; does anyone truly believe that Moz would *admit* anything like that about Stipe?

edit: emphasis added

Last edited:
False or not; does anyone truly believe that Moz would admit anything like that about Stipe?
Of course not, but if the origin of the rumour was really the incorrect interpretation of an interview, why would the song be about Stipe? There's nothing in the lyrics to indicate that. Stipe said he didn't know the song.

"Q: Is there any truth in the story that you were penpals with Morrissey and he wrote 'Found Found Found' about you?

A: I don't think I know that song. We met three times and he sent me postcards. We went walking in London. He's a really nice guy. The judge in The Smiths court case said he was untrustworthy. f***head."

(Source)

He also talked about Morrissey in this 2016 podcast (about 37 minutes in). Really seems like they were pen pals more than anything else. Stipe says he asked Moz to kiss him for a picture but he wouldn't do it (of course he wouldn't). "Anyway, a man can dream." :lbf:

Podcast

Moz&Michael.jpg

Last edited:
I love this one. I always did. The bass is great and the guitar tremolo parts are up there almost with those of "How Soon Is Now." Those are a 10 but these are an 8. I used to wear out the batteries in my walkman tape player rewinding to hear this again. Love the vocal effects, too. The lyrics might be simple but nothing wrong with that.
I don't know why some people don't like this but a nice thing about Morrissey is that someone that doesn't like this probably raves about one or two of his songs that I don't like at all. I'm surprised by how much people like some of his songs that I can't stand so it all works out.
All this needs is an extended mix to make it about seven minutes long.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom