Morrissey A-Z: "Friday Mourning"

BookishBoy

We round off the Fs with this track, originally a B-side on the "Let Me Kiss You" single, and also included in the deluxe YATQ album and also the Swords compilation.

What do we think of this one?

It’s about right

for a spell back in the day, it was the song of choice for quite a few Morrissey fans pre planning their funerals :crazy:

A nice little track: one that I enjoyed a lot while listening just there. Not one I go back to often (and some chord sequences are incredibly close to “Will Never Marry”, the superior tune), but it’s certainly a Swords highlight.

I really enjoy this song. It doesn't quite work as a cohesive whole, but there are so many good elements to it, and somehow it manages to remind me of 1970s Elton John and also with echoes of early Suede? I can totally hear Brett singing this.

I remember being moved by this one when it came out, seemed like one of the better ballads of that era alongside "Never-Played Symphonies." I love when Moz goes full on Vegas torch song. Its power is somewhat diminished by the stiff, corny production which was typical of those sessions. Morrissey thought enough of it to bring it out live a few times and stick it on that Live at Earl's Court record.

I don't care for this one. I remember when it came out after the original version of YATQ and most of the songs that were on the extended version were not really that great in my opinion. For once he had actually put the best material on the record instead of saving it for the b-sides.
When I listen now I can see why some people like it but that's the nicest thing I can say about it. I associate it with "The Never-Played Symphonies" and I was worried that this was where he was going. The more rocking songs weren't great either. Of that whole collection I really only like "It's Hard To Walk Tall When You're Small." "I Am Two People," is okay.
1."Don't Make Fun of Daddy's Voice"Morrissey, Whyte2:53
2."It's Hard to Walk Tall When You're Small"Morrissey, Whyte3:32
3."Teenage Dad on His Estate"Morrissey, Whyte4:08
4."Munich Air Disaster 1958"Morrissey, Whyte2:30
5."Friday Mourning"Morrissey, Whyte4:08
6."The Never-Played Symphonies"Morrissey, Whyte3:03
7."My Life Is a Succession of People Saying Goodbye"Morrissey, Whyte2:55
8."I Am Two People"Morrissey, Whyte3:55
9."Mexico"

A very decent b-side, but I'm glad that it wasn't included on a studio album. Simon Goddard described it as 'Microwave Morrissey' and that feels apt. Lyrically it feels like Morrissey reheating many of his most often repeated themes, and "You are a loser" is a disappointingly obvious phrase to include.

Not a bad tune and I quite enjoy the version on the live CD.

In the poll on the Hoffman board it ranked 108th from 264 solo songs.

I used to think, I couldn't get enough of Morrissey's pathos. But this is a bit too much. Not a song, I want to hear more often. Same indifferent feeling torwards it since early autumn 2004. Pathetic sigh!

I have to add that I always thought that the title was one of Morrissey's laziest, most autopilot puns.

i really like the quarry b sides,teenage dad and succession plus mexico,whats not to like.108 from 264 isnt bad.

I love these lines:

20210309_083809.jpg

I will never... aye, alright, maybe I will.

The Earl's Court live version is superior, but it's still a good enough tune. Plenty of quotable lines, sweet vocal melody and nice drama to it. Quite far behind his best ever ballads, but as we all very well know - the competition is ridiculous.

And when they hold me down
And when they kick me down the stairs
I see the faces all lined up before me
Of teachers and of parents and bosses
Who all share a point of view
You are a loser

I used to think, I couldn't get enough of Morrissey's pathos. But this is a bit too much.
The lyrics do come perilously close to overdoing the self-pitying angst, to the point where if I'm not in the right mood I end up wanting to shake the narrator and tell him to grow up and stop being such a bloody drama queen. That said, there are enough gorgeous moments that it just about balances out. I also love all the non-lyrical noises Moz makes in this, both the "loser -oh-wo-wo-oh-wo-owo", and particularly the end, where it sounds like he's singing "Biddldy-bop bo-hmmmm-booo, biddly-bop bo-hhhmmmmm ooouchoo lo-deh no!"

The lyrics do come perilously close to overdoing the self-pitying angst, to the point where if I'm not in the right mood I end up wanting to shake the narrator and tell him to grow up and stop being such a bloody drama queen. That said, there are enough gorgeous moments that it just about balances out. I also love all the non-lyrical noises Moz makes in this, both the "loser -oh-wo-wo-oh-wo-owo", and particularly the end, where it sounds like he's singing "Biddldy-bop bo-hmmmm-booo, biddly-bop bo-hhhmmmmm ooouchoo lo-deh no!"

In a few words, this song is borderline gratuitous. But its pleasant enough.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom