Morrissey and drugs

optikal

I was wondering what the relations were with Morrissey and drugs. Of course he kicked out Rourke out of the smiths because of his heroïn addiction. (Marr did weed and cocaine...)

On the other hand he's been on anti-depressants and I've read in mozipedia that he stated " because I don't want something that's going to affect me in any way other than to perhaps cure me".

But he also tried ecstasy a few times and also said "if it helps you than take it"...

I've been straight edge all my life and I love Morrissey to death. Aactually I don't really care about what he did or does...

I was just wondering what your thoughts were on his stance.

I was wondering what the relations were with Morrissey and drugs. Of course he kicked out Rourke out of the smiths because of his heroïn addiction. (Marr did weed and cocaine...)

On the other hand he's been on anti-depressants and I've read in mozipedia that he stated " because I don't want something that's going to affect me in any way other than to perhaps cure me".

But he also tried ecstasy a few times and also said "if it helps you than take it"...

I've been straight edge all my life and I love Morrissey to death. Aactually I don't really care about what he did or does...

My thoughts are, if I have drugs I do them. I have done many drugs before a Moz show, on the way to work, in the morning, afternoon, evening, weekdays, weekends it doesn't matter. Moderation is the key. I have been dope sick from opiates, and I tell you, it is not fun. So moderstion in the key. It can be any drug, just do them in moneration.
I won't name names but I know of two people on here that was kindly enough to smoke me out in a car in Tulsa 2006 right before the show. awww memorise

Marr did cocaine??

Have a look in the Smiths chapter in Guy Pratt's book My Bass And Other Animals. Very enlightening.

Q:"Do you like to party?"

P.

It was Morrissey's straight edge stance that I read in a fanzine standing in a record shop on Melrose in the early 90s (pre-internet) that kept me out of drugs. And I lived in a secluded canyon where pretty much everyone did drugs bcause it was the only thing TO do. I just learned how to hang out with them and not partake. A couple of times I took a puff of marijuana, and a couple of years ago I explored a baggie or two of cheap shake, but for the most part and most certainly now it is because of Morrissey that I abstain from doing drugs. But I'm cool about it, do it if you want to or need to, it's just not for me and knowing Morrissey's take is similar, comforts.

EDIT: :blushing: In High School dropping acid and going to raves was real big. I used to tell people that I took acid and didn't love it so they'd stop asking me to go do acid with them. I never did it, I just lied to be cool and get them to stop pestering me. :o I ate a mushroom once while everyone else was doing E and I didn't want to, nothing memorable or spectacular.

Last edited:
It's also mentioned in the Mozipedia, but, put shortly, Morrissey aside, the band did not stint on the drugs and booze, as detailed in the book.

P.

Have a look in the Smiths chapter in Guy Pratt's book My Bass And Other Animals. Very enlightening.

Q:"Do you like to party?"

P.

Are you in competition with kewpie as to not answering a question but directing us to a thread or book? I replied to your post yesterday.

I think Morrissey has taken a lot of prescription meds (particularly post-Vauxhall) and tried the odd drug (he admitted to ex as mentioned). I think it's only when drugs or bad behaviour disrupt the job at hand that he puts his foot down, so to speak.

On a tangent, I could be wrong but I'd bet money that Moz and the whole band were on charlie for that Live in Dallas show. The hyperactivity is astounding. Boz in particular looks off his nut.

It was Morrissey's straight edge stance that I read in a fanzine standing in a record shop on Melrose in the early 90s (pre-internet) that kept me out of drugs. And I lived in a secluded canyon where pretty much everyone did drugs bcause it was the only thing TO do. I just learned how to hang out with them and not partake. A couple of times I took a puff of marijuana, and a couple of years ago I explored a baggie or two of cheap shake, but for the most part and most certainly now it is because of Morrissey that I abstain from doing drugs. But I'm cool about it, do it if you want to or need to, it's just not for me and knowing Morrissey's take is similar, comforts.

EDIT: :blushing: In High School dropping acid and going to raves was real big. I used to tell people that I took acid and didn't love it so they'd stop asking me to go do acid with them. I never did it, I just lied to be cool and get them to stop pestering me. :o I ate a mushroom once while everyone else was doing E and I didn't want to, nothing memorable or spectacular.

When I was in Jr. High 1986-88, there was acid flowing like wine in our school. We would meet up in front of the school in the morning around 7:30AM at this big bush that blocked the view of of the school office. Always there was someone who would bring booze, pot, acid or speed. This was before meth, it was amphetamine diet pills before they made them illegal. You could take 4 or 5 pills and be amped up all day. This was also before the prescription drug or E faze. There was probably all kinds of pills in the medicine cabinet of our parents, but we didn't even think of those. So we would get drunk or really high before school. This was in 8th grade mind you. But acid was 3 bucks a dose. We would trip like crazy in school, but if you take a dose one day you had to double up the next day to get off. I was up to taking 10 hits at a time. But in those days it was acid at least 3 times a week. Me and a friend would buy a strip of 20 blotter acid hits. I will always remember those days, but 10th grade was the last time I have tripped on acid. It was just like a high tolerance so I guess I kinda burned out on it. I have not heard of acid being around here in at least 15 years.

Back
Top Bottom