Morrissey and Frasier

Tingle3

I vaguely recall reading some old interview online in which Morrissey was asked what TV shows he enjoys. I seem to recall that he enjoyed certain American Sitcoms. I found that a bit of a surprise. I believe he then said that it would be 'unfair' to name them. (can anyone bring to mind the interview and link to it?) Could Frasier be one of Morrissey's favourites? I suspect that Frasiers lack of success in love and issues he has with being famous would appeal to Moz.

Yesterday I was watching a repeat of an old Frasier show (The Wizard and Roz) in which Daphne (who is an English character from Manchester who has visions and, she is convinced, psychic), refers to the younger Crane brother as "Nails" instead of "Niles" - some joke about him having scratched someone. I see that "Nails" is a character in Morrissey's novel. Could be a co-incidence, but we know, as Wilde said, "Talent borrows, genius steals".

Last edited:
He's made several references to The Golden Girls over the years, and I recall a YATQ-era interview where he said he likes Roseanne.

I see that "Nails" is a character in Morrissey's novel. Could be a co-incidence

I think it's probably just a reference to the fact that Nails...swallows.

"OooooooooOoooh, NO you didn't!!"
- did too...

"Oh you scratch one guy"

I could seeoz laughing at Frasier's inability to listen to his own advice about love. I have so much of that show memorized. Early Rosanne was also pretty amazing and very accurate for a sitcom. Golden girls is just classic

He's made several references to The Golden Girls over the years, and I recall a YATQ-era interview where he said he likes Roseanne.
To be fair, I don't know any gay man who doesn't like The Golden Girls or Rosanne. I mean, they're certainly out there, but I haven't met them personally. They're on all the gay channels in between RuPaul's Drag Race and Will & Grace reruns for a reason.

I may be reading too much into Frasier these days, but it struck me that the episode "The Impossible Dream" reflects some of the lyrics of "All You Need is Me". Gil Chesterton is the restaurant critic at the radio station whose colleagues think is gay, but he refers to his wife in other episodes:

Scene One - A Seedy Motel Room.
Frasier is lying in bed, asleep, in the motel room. He awakens and
finds that he has a tattoo on his arm that reads "Chesty." There is
a half-empty bottle of tequila on a table across from the bed. A
shower is running, but then stops suddenly. Frasier props himself up
on some pillows and folds him arms behind his head, expectantly.

Out from the bathroom steps Gil Chesterton - wearing only a towel.

Gil: Well, look who's up!

SMASH CUT TO:
Frasier sits up in bed - his own bed. The previous scene had been a
dream - or a nightmare, considering Frasier's panic-stricken reaction.

Last edited:
To be fair, I don't know any gay man who doesn't like The Golden Girls or Rosanne. I mean, they're certainly out there, but I haven't met them personally. They're on all the gay channels in between RuPaul's Drag Race and Will & Grace reruns for a reason.

"All black men like rap, basketball, and fried chicken."

"All autists take everything 100% literally, because they don't understand irony, subtly or sarcasm, no matter how pointedly obvious."

Back
Top Bottom